Oddometer: 195
Flea Market

Just in case someone is looking:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...47#post3911647
Old 01-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #63
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Oddometer: 1,522
We need to get some Nighthawk touring and trip reports posted on this site. I love reading and looking at photos from other riders reports on this forum but I didnt see even one from a Nighthawk rider.
I will have to dig through some of my old photos and see if I can come up with anything.

Richard
IBA #14873
Deadly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 07:00 PM   #64
speedysheep
Gnarly Adventurer

A Nighthawk in Kansas

Old 01-15-2007, 07:13 PM   #65
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

Heres one of a Nighthawk 750 in Missouri. I found this really cool old bridge just off of O highway between Wood Heights, MO and Orick, MO.

Richard
IBA #14873
Attached Images

Old 01-15-2007, 07:52 PM   #66
Dreher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
My wife and I rode ours down into the floor of monument valley, I did not think to take a pic of the n'hawk down there but if you look in her faceshield its a pretty cool pic of the monuments, ~1000 miles in two days, it was great trip.
Attached Images

Dreher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:01 PM   #67
eteller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
I've been to Monument Valley, did the loop in a rental car! The thing looked like crap when we turned it in, they didn't say a word. That's a beautiful place, I would love to take a bike out that way. Maybe someday, when the kids are older.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, except in South Central.
eteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 05:56 PM   #68
speedysheep
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by eteller
I've been to Monument Valley, did the loop in a rental car! The thing looked like crap when we turned it in, they didn't say a word. That's a beautiful place, I would love to take a bike out that way. Maybe someday, when the kids are older.
My brother on his Nighthawk (the one that's for sale), on a dirt road just outside of Mexican Hat.

Three of us just went back this fall and rode through Monument Valley. Me on my Tiger, my brother on his DL1000, and a friend from college on a R1100RT.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #69
Deadly
Asphalt Adventurer!

I found a motorcycle to motorcycle communications package last week while surfing the web and decided to buy it.
Its made buy Nady and works as a motorcycle to motorcycle communicator and as a driver to passenger communicator (you just have to buy a second headset). You can even plug in a music source like a CD player. I have not had a chance to try it out on the road yet but the helmit speakers sound sound pretty good for voice communication (the sound quality reminds me of a pilot friend of mines headset).

Here is a link:

http://www.efunctional.com/mrc-11x.html

At only $61 I though it was a pretty good deal and wanted to let you all know about it.

Richard
IBA #14873
02' Nighthawk 750
Old 01-23-2007, 04:52 AM   #70
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Maintenance Instructions

Is there a good online source of basic maintenance instructions? I've ordered a new DID X-ring chain, and because I've spent all my previous years on BMW R's, I've never worked with a chain. It looks pretty obvious to me, but I don't want to miss a step. Thanks.

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 PM   #71
eteller OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Ebay, I got a Clymer manual on there a few weeks ago, but there is factory service manual on there now cheap!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...7967455&rd=1,1

chains are an easy job, but if you use a clip link, I would safety wire it, and it will work fine. Are you're sprockets okay? Chain and sprockets should usually be replaced as a set for best wear.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda, except in South Central.
eteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 05:39 PM   #72
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
for quick info try the Yahoo Nighthawk and CB750 groups. The links and files sections often have that type of information
Beachboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 06:34 PM   #73
simbob
Grasshopper

Oddometer: 97
Thanks

Thanks, guys. I really don't want to buy a book if I don't need it for the current job, partially because I don't want to wait for it to arrive before I can start work. I'll get one eventually; I always do.

I haven't pulled the front cover to check that sprocket, but the rear looks OK to me -- square tips and smooths sides with sharp edges, no irregular shapes. But WTF do I know? I wondered whether I should just replace them anyway.

The chain has some rust and there's crud on everything, so I'm sure there's more wear than there should be. I've lubed the rear sprocket and chain, top and bottom, inside and out with gear oil and wiped it down pretty aggressively, and it's better, but I'm still not satisfied. It's the only aspect of the bike that looks less than well-cared for. Is it safe to use something like WD-40 on it to strip off some of the buildup?

The maintenance records from the prior owner are good, but I don't think he did much himself between visits to the shop. At just over 9,000 miles, it looks like that took a toll only on the chain -- and maybe the sprockets.

Thanks again.

By the way, I'll need a rear tire fairly soon, and I want to go from bias (current Dunlop 505 rear and Bridgestone Battlax front) to radials, so I'll do the front at the same time even though it's got more life left. What do you think would be the best choice for a touring tire for this bike -- reasonable performance wet and dry with reasonable lifespan?

Bob
simbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:25 PM   #74
Meter Man
Living on a prayer

Oddometer: 7,540
My take is always, always, always replace both sprockets when putting a new chain on.

You will need a chain breaker and chain riveter for this job.

I did it on my 250 nighthawk last year, it took me about 3 hours, start to finish. Next time it will only take me about 1 hour.
Meter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 07:31 PM   #75
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423

I use WD-40 to clean my chain with; some say do, some say don't, it's really upp to you, just as with tires and oil.

This picture was taken a couple of weeks ago, you can see the general condition of the tires. I'm a big fan of Michelin Pilot Roads (radials), I paid a bit under $220 for a fresh pair, including shipping about 18 months ago. They now have around 7,500 miles on them. The front looks new and still has a vey round profile. The rear is starting to get a flattened center profile, but looks to have a lot of thread depth left.

Beachboy screwed with this post 01-23-2007 at 07:39 PM
Beachboy is offline   Reply With Quote