You rock
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:08 PM   #32
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,848
You're right.
Bill

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 09:59 PM   #33
Mulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thumb

This has been a great thread so far and id like to bump it back to the top.

I have my front suspension apart at the moment to determin what shims I will need to buy. I like what Zerodog has done to his setup!

I was wondering what other variations of setup spring/shim are out there other than the ones listed. It would be good to get some more data to help decide my setup and Im sure it will help others as well.

I will also be installing .52 fork springs, a 8.4 or 8.6 rear spring as well as Infinity subtanks. I am currently a stable 230lb in gear

Cheers

Dan
Old 06-12-2007, 04:47 AM   #34
Mulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Thumb 05 adv stack

Well I pulled apart my stacks. My bike is an 05 KTM 640 adv. For stock standard they vary from what others have listed particularly the Base and rebound.

Base Valve
5 24 1
2 22 1
20 1
18 1
16 2
14 2
11 3
18 2.5

Midvalve
4 24 1
22 1
20 1
18 1

Rebound
5 Delta 24 1
20 1
18 1
2 11 1
14 1
10 3
16 3

Sorry I forgot to get the stack and float measurements. I will get them off the other shock.
Old 06-16-2007, 10:41 PM   #35
bmwktmbill
Traveler

I thought those '05 stacks were interesting.
Can you comment on how they handled the bumps.
My guess is that the float is way too much and the fork really dives with heavy braking.

I have around 3 K on Z-dogs stacks and I can vouche for a huge improvement on my '02 640a.
I can also say that the big change was not so much springs as I stated elsewhere but due to the hydraulic changes.
I did springs first and the results were disappointing. The hydraulic changes were huge.
I have the same miles on his subtanks which I mostly run open.
Its a cushy ride. Comfortable but controled.
The bumps lose their sharp edges even with the tires over filled to assure maximum wear.

This is just a great modification for the '02 fork.

Bill Shockley
Old 06-17-2007, 09:59 AM   #36
Zerodog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Bill where are you now?? Are you on the other side of the planet yet??
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:05 AM   #37
Mulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwktmbill
I thought those '05 stacks were interesting.
Can you comment on how they handled the bumps.
My guess is that the float is way too much and the fork really dives with heavy braking.
You are right on all accounts and the float was around 2.5mm.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:01 PM   #38
Mulga
Gnarly Adventurer

Talking Awsome

Thanks Rob,

After reading this thread I decided to go ahead upgrade my suspension. Re-spring, new shim stack and Infinity Designs Sub-tanks. I contacted Rob (Zerodog) and got some really good advice on the setup I will need for my weight and style of riding. Also I digested as much information from previous threads here as I could get hold of.

I wanted to be able to load up with gear for touring and not be handicaped for weekend blasts through the bush unloaded. Long distances of couragations (washboard for you yanks), washouts, potholes, bulldust, rocks and sand were concerns.

So I pulled apart my front suspension to see what shims I needed. Doing this for the first time I did,t know what to expect. The internals of these WP forks are supprisingly 'simple' for want of a better word. I also found rust inside the piston rod. Goes to show you need to overhaul your forks periodically.

I basically had to follow the same pattern shim stack Rob listed earlier in this thread but adding an extra Delta shim.

Through Rob I ordered .52 fronts and a custom 8.6 rear spring (made by cannonracecraft) and Rob's sub-tanks. Rob really does a great job with his sub-tanks to add to that hes also generous with his time answering every one of my seemingly noobish questions.

As well as selling his sub-tanks hes also thinking of stocking standard and custom springs for the 640.

MX-Tech is where I ordered my shims. After a 6 week wait for backordered delta shims. They werent included in the package anyhow gofigure. So the extra delta didn't make it to my stacks.

Being 110kg (240lb) with riding gear the standard spring setup was horrible. Well now its whole new story. Bloody fantastic. My initial experience on and off road is that the bike now feels more stable, corners better and dosen't dive on the brakes anywhere as much. On courgated dirt roads with the subtanks off it was fantastic compared to my old suspension. I said to my mate who was with me on his new KLR that I didnt think I needed to try the sub-tanks as the suspension felt great. However when I did try them courgations what courgations! Rutts, sand rutts, potholes, washouts no problem. Even harpack dirt with pea gravel, actually felt like the Metzler Saharas holding, holy cow batman.I will still need to do some minor fine tuning of he compression and rebound settings.

Its amazing what well set up suspension feels like. This is a must do.

Thanks again Rob.

Mulga
Old 03-22-2009, 03:37 PM   #39
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,352
Hey guys,

I was trying to finish assembling my forks with the shims and all the other good stuff that I got from Rob aka Zerodog. Suspension newbie that I am, I can't figure out at which end I start with the listed shims.

My understanding, please correct me if I'm wrong:

-For the base/compression valve holder:
Start with 10x.3, go up to 24x.1, then the piston, check valve shim (24x.3) and finally the nut

-Mid valve:
Start mid valve with 10x.2, go up to 24x.1, then the piston

-Rebound:
This is what has me all confused as the order seems different. As far as I could see from pictures on KTMtalk and Husaberg.org the Delta shims go on first above the piston, and you end with a 16x.3 under the nut. Right or wrong?

Thanks,
Lukas
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #40
Zerodog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,233
Talking

Mulga,

Good to hear you finally got to make the changes to your bike. Glad you like it! Don't let your KLR buddy ride your bike. He won't give it back. He will just get on and never come back leaving your stranded with his KLR. Some KLR guys were eyeballing mine once.....

Lukas,
The shims go on just as they came off so to speak. The BV goes like this in very generalized terms. Refer to your PM or email from me for the order. It is all really important.

BV/compression adjuster body.
Backer shim or backer stack Stock is 18x.25
Pivot shim 10x.3 or whatever you have
Then the main stack. 12-14-16-18-20-24-crossover shim-multiple 24s
Piston with counter bore facing up.
Check plate
spring
Nut

Basicly the shims resting directly on the piston are always the biggest ones. On the rebound the Delta shims are always first. Round shims will occlude the holes that go to the midvalve.
Zerodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 06:53 AM   #41
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,170
Thanks

Just to let you know this thread has been a great help to me on setting a starting point for damping in fitting WP Forks to my F650GS Dakar

Great work & really appreciate it

Have the 02 rebound valve in the forks I am using so will have to work around that for now but at least I have a base to start from
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #42
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,159
was this the KTM Talk thread?

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?act=ST&f=11&t=128125
(you must be logged into KTM Talk to use this link)

not sure if it gives you the order but it is a thread I added to my fork work thread because of the labeled pictures.

Anywho, Merry Christmas YFF! :santa

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 05:54 AM   #43
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Some more information

Researching the rebound taps and the variations in them between 01 and 05 I have come up with the info below and thought I would post it here for everyone

There are 3 variations on the rebound valve and rebound needle common to both 4357 & 4860 models. The individual part numbers, dates of introduction and part numbers are :

2001 2002 2003-5
Rebound tap 4860.0025 4860.0151 4860.0203
Rebound needle 4860.0003 4860.0150 4860.0189

Complete Units - No complete unit part numbers have been identified.

The rebound tap changes can be summarised as follows

2002 – 4860.0151
- Rebound adjuster oil entry increased from 2.5 mm to 3 mm
- Oil exit holes from 2mm to 2.5 mm (possibly 3 mm)

2003 – 4860.0203
- Rebound spring base height reduced from 4mm to 2 mm
- Edges of nut chamfered for “mid valve”
- Top edge of 8mm shaft for check valves & mid valve chamfered
- Length of shaft for rebound shims increased

Have an image of them but upload is failing right now

One other clarification on the earlier posts re the stock rebound stack, on the 2003 & 2005 stacks a 6x16x0.3 is specified but the ETK does not list a Part No for that shim, only a 16x0.25 so I suspect that is actually what was fitted

WayneC1 screwed with this post 01-16-2010 at 06:18 AM Reason: errors in text
Old 01-17-2010, 11:39 PM   #44
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Wayne,
Just to encourage you, when I was in Mongolia two years ago I rode with a Dutch guy that had WP suspension on his PD BMW. He said the ride was very good and he had no problems with leakage or breakage.

He must have had the Touratech package, what rear shock is that?

FWIW my '02 stacks that I posted really worked out well for me. I used Z-dog's subtanks and his oil level recommendation.

My bike is lowered so Z-dog set up a special rear shock for me. I also run a Scotts steering stabilizer to good advantage. If you have aused shock I strongly recommend an oil change at least.

Are you going traveling?
bill

Bill Shockley
Old 01-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #45
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for the words of encouragement, they are appreciated

The TT kit had a WP 250 MM rear shock & it is no longer available apparently

As for my machine, well it has been well used in Oz & is also one which had the axle mount failure after which I was left with a new RHS and the old LHS. A fork replacement was always planned & now is the time as I have the motivation and it is due for SHB replacement plus I think the lower yoke is a little twisted so it came down to which alternative YZ or WP.

The difficulty is my beast is considerably lightened over stock & combined weight with rider is 20kgs lighter than yourself or Z-Dog, hence my careful look at springing & valving.

Am looking at running 0.48 spring with a slightly modified Z-Dog stack & may throw the stack up online. If you and Z-Dog would care to comment any suggestions would be considered and appreciated.

Am doing a full rebuild on the forks first, waiting for some parts right now & when fork rebuild is completed then I will strip out the old and in with the new, looking forward to is as I know how much better it will be

Did you update the taps to 03 ? or have you stuck with the same set up