Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2002, 06:47 AM   #1
Dutchman OP
Diskussionsleiter

Oddometer: 814
*Evo Brake Failure*

FRONT BRAKE CALIPERS LEAKING FLUID

Took my 2 month old/1100 mile 1150RT out for a 100 mile spin yesterday.

A couple of times I thought I noticed a slight reduction in braking power, but thought little of it, mainly because I've not really explored the limits of these new brakes yet.

When I got home, I washed the RT & put it away.

This morning I noticed amber fluid had dripped onto the front wheel rim & closer examination revealed that brake fluid is escaping from around the lower piston of both front brake calipers.

The pads & rotors are soaked in brake fluid-hence my perceived loss of braking power yesterday.

The suppling dealer has never heard of this problem before & BMW Assistance are about to uplift the RT & take it for diagnosis & repair.

At no time during my ride yesterday did the brake failure light come on, and there was no sign of 'total' brake loss.

I'm posting this as a safety warning to anyone with BMW Evo brakes.......go take a look!

I'll report on the diagnosis/cure in due course.

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog

Dutchman screwed with this post 02-25-2002 at 08:01 AM
Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 07:42 AM   #2
fish
Banned

Oddometer: 47,709
Bummer, Dutchman. I'm surprised to hear that *both* calipers failed at the same time. This seems really unusual. Please let us know what the root cause is.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 08:02 AM   #3
Dutchman OP
Diskussionsleiter

Quote:
Originally posted by fish
Bummer, Dutchman. I'm surprised to hear that *both* calipers failed at the same time. This seems really unusual. Please let us know what the root cause is.
.................one hour later:
Attached Images

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog
Old 02-25-2002, 08:33 AM   #4
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,670
Cry Boo Hoo!

That's got to be the saddest BMW picture I have ever seen!

Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:22 PM   #5
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Oddometer: 5,560
Re: Boo Hoo!

Quote:
Originally posted by 1150GSSteve
That's got to be the saddest BMW picture I have ever seen!
ditto I hope it has a speedy recovery

"I told you I was sick" spike milligan 1918-2002
07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2002, 01:36 PM   #6
Dutchman OP
Diskussionsleiter

Preliminary Report

Brake piston seals are blown on all four front pistons.

Cause:unknown.

Calipers, pads & rotors all being replaced under warranty & calipers being returned to Brembo.

Question:

These Evo brake are power assisted, aren't they-with the assistance coming from an electric pump when the hand lever or brake pedal is operated (assuming ignition is switched on).

Does anyone know if the degree of assistance is progressive, by which I mean, does the degree of assistance increase the harder the lever/pedal is applied?

The reason I ask, is that over the years I have developed the habit of holding the 'bike on slight inclines/declines, as when waiting at junctions, traffic light's etc, by two fingers just applying the front brake............

Of course, with this new set up all brakes are applied when I do this, which is fair enough, but all the time the pump is running, pressurising the system and perhaps 'over applying' the brakes as I sit there momentarily.

These are just my initial thoughts and the dealer has said nothing about my riding style, but has said it's the first time they have seen this particuilar problem.

As Fish says, it's highly unusual for both calipers to fail at exactly the same time............is there an inherent deign fault or have I just been unlucky?

Answers on a fuck-off HUGE postcard, please................. :

DUTCHMAN

Dutchblog
Old 02-25-2002, 01:42 PM   #7
Marc
Just sayin...

Oddometer: 8,967
Damn, Dutch - sorry to see your bike being trucked off like that. As to causes, do you have some big 'ol Popeye arms on ya? Squeezed the lever way too hard and pop the seals? But seriously - once you learn the root cause, please let us know. There'll be many BMW owners w/EVO assisted brakes wanting to know.

Thanks for the info.

Marc
Old 02-25-2002, 01:49 PM   #8
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Re: Preliminary Report

Quote:
Originally posted by Dutchman

please................. :
Quote:
Does anyone know if the degree of assistance is progressive, by which I mean, does the degree of assistance increase the harder the lever/pedal is applied?
nope, but I doubt it
Quote:
The reason I ask, is that over the years I have developed the habit of holding the 'bike on slight inclines/declines, as when waiting at junctions, traffic light's etc, by two fingers just applying the front brake............
do the same myself I also asked my dealer about holding brakes on when at lights ETC and told me no worries
Quote:
Answers on a fuck-off HUGE postcard,
Be fucken great full I replied:cool: let a lone send a post card
Quote:
As Fish says, it's highly unusual for both calipers to fail at exactly the same time............is there an inherent deign fault or have I just been unlucky?
yep I sounds like badly machined calipers done on a Friday

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
'Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter... don't mind...And those that mind... don't matter.'
"to succed at the island you must be comfortable in the knowleged that you may leave in a pine box" Joey Dunlop ..RIP
www.Austouring.com
Old 02-25-2002, 02:07 PM   #9
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Preliminary Report

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod
sounds like badly machined calipers done on a Friday
Maybe, but highly unlikely, imho. Blown seals (can you picture white stuff dripping off the penguin's chin...i love that joke:) can be due to too much pressure in the system. Your dealer will no doubt run the moditec pressure tests after they bolt it back together. That test should determine if too much pressure is in the system. The test is performed with *maximum* pressure applied to both lever and pedal. There is a recirculating circuit, with checkvalve, so excess pressure *should* bleed off back into the reservoir.

Hmmm...two bad calipers. No, wait...four bad piston seals. I'm stumped

Maybe yer just lucky, Dutch.
Old 02-25-2002, 02:23 PM   #10
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Re: Re: Re: Preliminary Report

Quote:

Maybe, but highly unlikely, imho. Blown seals (can you picture white stuff dripping off the penguin's chin...i love that joke:) can be due to too much pressure in the system. Your dealer will no doubt run the moditec pressure tests after they bolt it back together. That test should determine if too much pressure is in the system. The test is performed with *maximum* pressure applied to both lever and pedal. There is a recirculating circuit, with checkvalve, so excess pressure *should* bleed off back into the reservoir.

Hmmm...two bad calipers. No, wait...four bad piston seals. I'm stumped

Maybe yer just lucky, Dutch.
true what you say, but how come the rear did not blow if the pump was applying too much pressure?

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
www.Austouring.com
Old 02-25-2002, 02:38 PM   #11
fish
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Preliminary Report

Quote:
Originally posted by Rod

true what you say, but how come the rear did not blow if the pump was applying too much pressure?
Separate pressure circuit?
Old 02-25-2002, 02:59 PM   #12
Rod
Wacko Ocker

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Preliminary Report

Quote:

Separate pressure circuit?
do you think there is separate pressure Circuits? ummm I don't
no,
linked braking system and they share the same eclictric pump, the only differnce with rear brake is that more pressure can be applied with extra weight on rear wheel via ABS sensor...so maybe you are on the right track

07 DLK V-strom
Ducati 750SS
www.Austouring.com
Old 02-25-2002, 08:26 PM   #13
Haynes
Ozzie Cafe Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Brakes

I look forward to an interesting solution. Even poor quality seals would not coincidentally fail at the same time.
Excessive front circuit pressure may be the problem but the seals should really be able to take all the pressure that the pump can generate.
Old 02-25-2002, 08:37 PM   #14
fish
Banned

Hey...I sense something spooky happening here. First my bike pisses rusty fluid, now your bike pisses a different fluid. What's next?! Antifreeze leaks?! :mad:
Old 02-25-2002, 09:11 PM   #15
Rob Z
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 720
Quote:
Hey...I sense something spooky happening here. First my bike pisses rusty fluid, now your bike pisses a different fluid. What's next?! Antifreeze leaks?! :mad:
Well you BMY guys don't have to worry about a oil leak. That stuff you just burn away

might I recomend a
Attached Images

Rob Z is offline   Reply With Quote