User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006, 08:33 AM   #1
pdati OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Alternative Panniers for R1150RT

I find the standard BMW system cases on my 2004 R1150RT to be clumsy on long trips; things seem to spill out when I open them on the bike and I'm constatntly tucking in the edges to close them properly. Top-loading luggage, like the aluminum type popular with adventure-riding is a more practical design. Plus, the flat-top design of these cases make a nice table-top.

Has anyone modified their RT to handle top-loading luggage, like those offered by Jesse or Happy Trails? Appreciate any comments or help on this.
pdati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 11:17 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,242
I had an RT and I feel your pain. My current luggage on my GS is side loading as well, but it is designed so that things don't spill out when you open the doors. There's a deep well below the door hinge that anchors your stuff in the pannier. They are Micatech cases.. Unfortunately, no one makes after market panniers for the RT in aluminum. You might want to see if Givi has something, but I doubt it. At any rate, your problem is very easily solved. All you need are Kathy's bag liners. You simply load your clothes or gear in the contoured corudra bags and fit them in the RT's system cases. Unlatch and remove the liners while keeping the cases on the bike.. makes packing and unpacking so much easier. Bob's BMW sells them. If you find the stock lids too small, you can also get larger touring lids for the system cases, and Kathy's bags have an expansion zipper to make the liners even wider. I have mine still and still find them handy.

Oh and welcome to the site
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:32 PM   #3
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,148
I think Jesse makes it for the 1100 or 1150R. I wonder how different the mounts are from an RT.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 10:00 AM   #4
GSNH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Alternative 1150 RT panniers--any updates

Does anyone know if there are now some available? I have Micatec's on my GS and they are awesome.

www.ournhhome.org/1150GS.html

www.ournhhome.org/blog--riding blog
GSNH is offline   Reply With Quote