ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Oddometer: 18,405
CannonTracks - South Central WI Hills, Valleys, and Trail

I used to live in this area and really enjoyed the scenic hills and valleys. There are a lot of township roads on this ride that really get you close to the scenery. This is a ride of about 140 miles. It includes:
-twisty roads and elevation changes
-a section of the Tri County Trail (an old railroad grade now used for recreation). This trail has rules and is patrolled so before you get on it, check out www.tricountytrails.com for information. This route puts you on the trail near Browtown and takes you off at Darlington.
-Yellowstone Lake
-New Glarus Woods State Park
-Village of New Glarus (known for Swiss culture)
-many old cheese factories (Green County once had 88 cheese factories)
-scenic rivers and streams
-watch out for deer
-some neat small towns for a meal stop

The area is SW of Madison, WI and covers parts of western Green County, eastern Lafayette County, and southern Iowa County.

Google Earth Overview

Overview Map (the shape of the roads gives you a good idea of the topography of the area that makes this an entertaining ride).
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Grn-Laf-Ia Co Run with Tri Cty Trail.gpx (43.0 KB, 151 views)

Cannonshot screwed with this post 04-09-2007 at 11:11 PM
Cannonshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #2
uncutshirt
Cerebral Whore

Oddometer: 14
Arggh - I just passed on buying a place outside of New Glarus - may'be in a couple of years. Thanks for tip - all the more reason to head up there!
uncutshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:16 PM   #3
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Added Route to New GPX File

Added a Route to the GPX File. Cut track into smaller segments.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Grn-Laf-Ia Co Run with Tri Cty Trail w Route.gpx (191.4 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-11-2008, 07:21 PM   #4
Coffey
Humble Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Camping Recomendation?

Cannonshot,

We will be in the area headed to the northwoods soon, taking the ferry across to Manitowoc and arriving at 1100 am, Can you recomend any place to camp along the way? Looking for something for the first night in particular. We should be able to make 200 miles before camping after we depart the ferry.

Thanks,
Coffey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
Mr. Salty
Pretty quiet. Mostly.

Oddometer: 97
Thumb Cheese Country Trails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonshot
Added a Route to the GPX File. Cut track into smaller segments.
Hi Cannon!

I've done the cheese country trails a couple of times this year, all the way thru from Bellmont, to Mineral Point, to Monroe, and back up. My dad was raised in Brown-town; cute little town. - Now I have to try out your GPS tracks! Thanks!

Btw, upon closer inspection of my KLR handlebars, I've come to realize that those mischievous trees on that U.P. ATV trail did more than just twist around my triple-tree, it bent my handle-bars! (A small price to pay for the blast that we had up there! )
I'm just glad it wasn't my head wrapped around the tree instead!
Old 02-04-2009, 09:50 AM   #6
skadamo
I like riding

Oddometer: 536
Thanks for the route!

Do you need any stickers to ride the trail sections? Never mind, followed the link answered my own question...

Trail Stickers

CHEESE COUNTRY TRAIL STICKERS are sold for $8 per annual calendar year. Effective July 1, annual stickers will be $15.
Stickers are required for:
  1. all licensed or unlicensed motorcycles, mopeds, golf carts, mules, odyssey, go-carts, and dirt bikes
  2. bicycle riders 18 years of age and over
  3. horse riders 18 years of age and over
In state ATVs are NOT required to have trail stickers, but all users are encouraged to support the trail by purchasing an annual Tri-County Trail sticker. Out of state ATVs should refer to ATV Registration for additional information and requirements.
skadamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 10:55 AM   #7
klrmtn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by skadamo
Do you need any stickers to ride the trail sections? Never mind, followed the link answered my own question...
Just a note that it is very easy to ride on the road next to this trail if you want to keep it legal without a sticker. The route just jumps on a section of it between a couple of the towns. I had previously ridden (and paid for) the trail a couple of years ago and decided that it wasn't worth paying for again. Their were several cops along the way so I was glad I had paid before, so ride without a sticker at your own risk.
klrmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #8
thechickencow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 673
Rode parts of this loop today (thanks Cannon!). I see what you mean klr about riding next to the trail. I just stuck to the highways too as the website showed the trail was closed until full thaw.
thechickencow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

Files Available for Download Again

These tracks are now available again for download. Many thanks to fellow ADVer deputyjones who offered some server space.

Go to http://dsam-mi.org/GPS_Files/ and you will see a directory of folders that contain the files. You should be able to choose the proper directory without much trouble. The individual files will have names that are the same as or similar to the file names listed when the files were hosted on ADV.

The files are listed as .zip files. If you left click/open the file, you will open it in your computer's temporary internet directory. Depending on how you have your computer set up, clicking on the .gpx will open the file with Mapsource so you can look at it. Remember, it is in your temporary internet files.

To save the file in one of your neatly filed directories, "left click/save" or "right click/save target as" and put it where you want to keep it.

Some of the files have an associated spreadsheet file with points of interest (Black Hills, Pony Express, etc). Same procedures apply.

Happy to have quick and easy access to these files again.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:56 PM   #10
Jeff@TheQuadShop
TAT survivor

Oddometer: 4,582
I'm going to ride this loop tomorrow, thanks Cannon!
KY state Vet A offroad champion
TAT, KAT and TWVT survivor
Jeff@TheQuadShop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
Cannonshot OP
Having a Nice Time

I can post GPX to ADV again so this is the replaced lost file.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Grn-Laf-Ia Co Run with Tri Cty Trail w Route.gpx (191.4 KB, 36 views)