ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 03:35 AM   #16
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKN4DRT
I don't like the idea of extending my wrist any more than with the stock cam profile. After a few hundred miles in the dirt I can start to feel it.
All the cams can fully open the throttle in 1/4 of a turn, so you are giving up some finess at close to WFO to have more control at smaller openings. I agree - if it meant that you needed nearly 1/2 a turn to WFO - then it would be useless!

cheers

Mark
Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #17
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
they work

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
Veetwo

The cams for the 990 are the K200 and K300. The K200 looks liek it's more of a "slow action" throttle, and haven't seen a K300 so guess it's a different rate, or variable rate one (however the 400 has "slow" action for a longer rotation than the 200).

Still don't know if it'll fix it though! When a regualr here says "it works", then Mr Visa will be dragged from the wallet.

cheers

Mark
i am playing around with a prototype version that G2ergo (the company who makes these) is developing for aprilia 450 and 550s. not a ktm, and i'm a noob here, but the aprilia is fuel injected and suffering from a very abrupt off-idle throttle response that makes these bikes real handfuls in the dirt.

they do NOT increase the total twist of the throttle, but they DO smooth out the initial throttle response and offer more low speed throttle modulation. the cam is flat at the early throttle openings, so pulls more cable for less throttle body response, then lumps up onto the cam and pulls less cable for more throttle response in the higher rpms. end result is that it is still a 60 degree throttle twist (which is insanely short throw for anything but a street racebike or maybe an 80cc two stroke), but has a noticeably easier to control bottom end.

if you are experiencing some hassle with low end response that can't be mapped around, or ride off-road a lot and want more tractable off-idle behaviour, these are well worth the money. this was probably the single best thing i did to make my bike more manageable in the dirt.
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:12 AM   #18
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Hi - I'm not trying to be funny, but this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
they do NOT increase the total twist of the throttle, but they DO smooth out the initial throttle response and offer more low speed throttle modulation.
doesn't seem to tie in with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtothef
the cam is flat at the early throttle openings, so pulls more cable for less throttle body response, then lumps up onto the cam and pulls less cable for more throttle response in the higher rpms.
Should the line directly above read "so pulls less cable for more throttle response"?

Sounds like we have some good news on this though :)

cheers

Mark
Old 01-04-2007, 08:17 AM   #19
mtothef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 396
sorry, before coffee typing

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
Hi - I'm not trying to be funny, but this:

doesn't seem to tie in with this:

Should the line directly above read "so pulls less cable for more throttle response"?

Sounds like we have some good news on this though :)

cheers

Mark
okay, what i should have said was - in the flat cam part of the throttle, it pulls less cable per degree of throttle twist, and when it lumps up onto the cam, it pulls more cable per degree of throttle twist. more modulation down low, more response up high, total degree of throttle twist from closed to WFO remains about the same.

thanks for pointing my assbackward logic out! my early morning pre-coffee cognitive function can be pretty sad sometimes...
mtothef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:26 AM   #20
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

mtothef

cheers mate - that's what I thought. Sounds promising :)

Oh, and can I have tea? Milk, no sugar.

cheers

Mark
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 AM   #21
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,709
I am a beginning rider and own a TE-610(FCR-41). First gear was a handful(too jerky) for me in the terrain I ride for my skills and so I ordered the G2. I got a 2,3, and 400 cam installing the 400. I am quite pleased with it for my problems and like the fact I can change it once I get good enough to ride in second gear more...YMMV of course.

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:06 AM   #22
Catpower
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hi Guy's I am new on this forum.I am a member of the Wilddog tours,the South African Adventure site.I recently trade my '06 990 in for the '07 model.They installed the new '07 softwear on the bike.It look's like that jerky problem is been solved with the new softwear.The bike is much more smooth than the previous one.I 'am still running the bike in,but it is defenitly a diffrent bike.So go talk to your dealer,and update the new softwear.
Catpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 01:53 PM   #23
The_Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
doh.

Just lost a huge post when I pressed return

Anyway the gist was...I put a G2 throttle cam in my 990, installed the 300 cam, and it has elimiated the on/off idle abruptness completely..absolutely fantastic

Its an American product if you guys in the states think the injection is too sharp off idle, and for offroad I suspect it is. On road its fine but it is sensitive.

Thoughout the entire rev range it is faultless, its just the on/off idle transition.

I want to do some off road so, as the dealer is only 20minutes away, I thought I'd try it.

I can now split lanes at 10-15mph without feathering the clutch before, if I didn't feather the clutch, I would head butt the clocks when I rolled off and get whiplash when I opened her up...NO MORE, its greeaaaat
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED.

Changing the cam is a 5 minute job and they all come in the kit so you can swop to suit your riding, 400 might suit some for offroad.

I think KTM should fit these as standard as I suspect this small issue could put buyers off what is a fantastic bike.

Mark and any other UK riders, if your near me or its not too difficult to meet up and you want to try it, get in touch, you can then provide your feedback on the site for our friends in far off lands.

Just to recap....its greeeeat
The_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:58 PM   #24
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Thanks for the write-up, Pilot.
-cp

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #25
ram1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,826
When I had my GSR1000 I changed the throttle cam for the Yamaha R1 throttle which made the throttle open quicker. This in turn allowed you to lift the front wheel easier, but created a more sensitive on off situation in city streets. I got used to it but going to a slower operating first half would also diminsh the sensation of throttle response when calling for power. Good for some situations and not as desirable for things like pulling the front wheel up.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:05 AM   #26
zugy
My brother wheeling SXC

Oddometer: 192
This will help me in buying the KTM 07' 990 S. Thanks all
zugy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 04:34 AM   #27
Window_licker
n0b

Oddometer: 233
0rdered a cam set myself today from redline ( nice guys) will report when fitted.
Window_licker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 05:38 AM   #28
Tobers OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
See - I knew it would be worth it!

Pilot - can you describe the fitting process? Looks like you replace the whole throttle grip.
Tobers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 08:38 AM   #29
The_Pilot
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
I had described the process in the post I lost ....

You undo the allen bolt in the end of the hand guard and loosen one of the clamp bolts to rotate down and move it a bit.

Undo both of the throttle body bolts and seperate the two halfs.

Remove the cable nipples from the cam and then remove the throttle grip itself, including the grip, from the handlebar.

Put a new grip on the G2 grip, or if you can get the old one off, swap it over (I used grip glue)

Assemble the G2 grip by sliding on the chosen cam, it only goes on one way, no tools required.

Slide on the new G2 throttle onto the handlebar.

Insert the throttle cable nipples ensuring they are the correct way around , again they only go in one way into the cam itself.

Re-assemble the two halves of the body over the G2, insert and tighten the bolts, reposition the handguard and insert and retighten the allen bolt in the end of the handlebar to secure it.

Ride Enjoy huge grin
The_Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 03:27 PM   #30
Tobers OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 277
Dude!
Tobers is offline   Reply With Quote