Oddometer: 2,006
Great bike for big guys

Just put suspenders on attach to bike when stuck stand up walk bike out of mud
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #17
fixer
KLR-riding cheap bastard

Oddometer: 7,439
like the OD paint... now you just need to tone town the chrome and make it really GI lookin'.
And don't be scared, just enjoy your ride.

"... in my version of Heaven you get all your dogs back." Mista Vern
"Old dogs don't die, they just wait for you in another place." Twilight Error

I'll show you a place, high on a desert plain, where the streets have no name.
fixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:31 PM   #18
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
nice TW!

as far as tread life... my TW had 3000 miles when I sold it and it still had 75% tread depth. I think 6000+ miles is a reasonable expectation. It's a light bike with a hard compound 180mm tire... basically a sport bike tire size with gnarly tread and a thicker sidewall - so long treadlife is a given.

The big thing about TW's is that they're odd in all the right (fun) ways, they're basic, they're cheap, and they're reliable as an anvil.

I personally wouldn't take mine on a trip that required me to do more than 100 miles of pavement at a time... simply because of range and comfort at extended high speeds. But I had passing thoughts of doing the TAT on a TW - just because I love the bike and I know it could do it.... albeit slowly.

I wouldn't rule out the TW as an adventure rider bike. Once you get into 3rd world countries... road quality often dictates speeds under 50mph... which is were the TW shines. Americans have an natural draw to 600-1000cc bikes, but in most countries the TW is a BIG bike. Furthermore it is ultra-simple, aircooled, and will run on 87 octane. All important prereq's of adv bike. Honestly, I'd feel FAR *safer* travelling through south america on an olive drag TW200 than a fully Farkled BMW. You ride a BMW GS down there any you're a rolling randsom sign!

Downsiders are poor range and low power (especially at altitude). Obviously these are things that can be worked around with enough enthusiasm/determination.

I've no doubt that you could do a RTWorld on one - but if you did, I'd have serious doubts about your sanity
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'

turbonotch screwed with this post 01-02-2007 at 09:39 PM
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #19
sireland67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Nice bike,
I missed one in my local paper by about two hours, the gentleman had already sold it.

2001 with 1500 miles for $750.00 seller had it listed as excellent condition garage kept.
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 09:46 PM   #20
turbonotch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 735
ouch! that would've been sweet
*2003 KTM 250EXC - 'SJER/ECEA bike' **2003 KTM 300EXC - 'Rock Bike' **1999 YZ125/500cc hybrid - 'Adrenaline' **1992 DR350S - 'day tripper' **1978 YZ400 - 'Vintage Big Bore **1981 Kawasaki KL250 - 'Dad's' **1979 Yamaha MX100 - 'lost & found'
turbonotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 10:01 PM   #21
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
I;ve seen these things used at MSF new rider schools, so you might find one for sale that's "only" been dropped about 500 times...

Great bikes.
Chip
Old 01-02-2007, 10:02 PM   #22
sireland67
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Yes, I know, not the same bike in the paper but:

The funny thing was about two years ago last spring, my wife and me went for a spring trail ride after the snow started to melt with my then 4 year old son.

I had a new terra-flex on my drz and my wife was riding two up on with our son on her four wheeler.

I was having one hell of a time going up this steep, muddy half snow covered hill.

And out of nowhere here comes this 15 year old kid on a TW. He said he heard my bike spinning and basicaly having a rough time and stopped by to see if I needed any help.

That damn little bike stopped on this muddy snow covered hill beside me, and just took off DID NOT SPIN A TIRE.

Ever since then I have been looking for one just for a extra play bike.

He said his dad bought it for him for his first vehicle, and since he was not old enough for a drivers permit, his dad took all of the lights off so he would not break them.

Lucky kid
sireland67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:59 AM   #23
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
Mud

The TW really shines in mud and sand. There is no "standing up to pick the bike up out of the mud". It doesn't get caught in mud. Period.

Ride into a mud hole. Stop. Ride out of the mud hole. Long incline? The two strokes get a good head start and gun it up the hill, spinning the rear tire the whole way. With the TW, the tire doesn't spin. It doesn't get up the hill quickly, but it goes up. And you can stop halfway for a smoke if you feel like showing off :)

Photog, I'm not interested in selling right now. Maybe once I get better at riding dirt and buy the Triumph Scrambler I really want, but that day is very far off. Right now I'm looking for people to ride with and places to ride. (Most of my off-roading consists of construction sites and power lines)

Now, if you're looking for a slick 650cc (65hp) metric chopper in immaculate condition for $2500, or a Mad-Max street-fightered Ninja 500 that wieghs only 370 lbs and wheelies on command for $1500, I can help you out. :)

Charles.
ChopperCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:32 PM   #24
OrmondGS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmondGS
I just picked up an '86 with all of 510 miles on her - looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Can't wait to get her broken in properly!
My mistake - it's an '88.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...g?t=1165020121
OrmondGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:51 AM   #25
hilltownwalsh
Ahhhhh, Bach!

Oddometer: 43
I really liked mine. Hardly ever had to put my feet down at stop signs. Great fun on twisty roads, but absolutely NO fun on faster roads. I went up a tooth on the countershaft and still had trouble going over 60mph for more than a few minutes at a time. Sold it to get a DR650. If you don't have to keep up with traffic, this is a fantastic bike!
hilltownwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:08 AM   #26
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
this is an interesting thread, there is a TW200 listed on ebay, the seller is in B-Ham Alabama which is only 2 hrs from me, He obviously has no idea what he has and has confessed to me he got the bike from an auction, He also claims to have a rebuilt motor, to which I reply no reciepts = no new motor. The bike looks to be well used.

here is the ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3549301&rd=1,1

My other option I am looking at is a 2004 ttr225 this bike I know is in very clean shape, I know the owner so it is almost a no brainer, but still like the cute fat chick in the corner, there is something about the little TW still tugs at me, making me feel that while she may cost me some dignaty, she is the more fun ride.

what is a fair price for the TW obnviously his 1100..00 is high, and how much effort is it to restore a 20 yr old bike

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:47 AM   #27
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Charles

The TW motor is indestructable. Roller bearing cranks with a splash oiling system. No oil pressure needed to lubricate the mains. I'd be really suprised if a TW ever needs anything more than a valve adjustment. I've seen one with 50k still going strong at the Honda Hoot several years back. (Had vetter hard cases, a Vermont tag, and two helmets in the helmet lock!!)

So the TW200 engine is virtually unkillable, and the carb and electronics are dirt simple. The TTR has more power and a 6th gear, but I really love my TW200. If you're going to ride offroad a lot, and don't care about highway use, get the TW200. It's a blast on surface streets and in the dirt.

AND, TW's hold their value pretty well, so you can always resell it.

Charles.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:54 AM   #28
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
on a bike that age what about shocks and forks,

my main use will be for me, the wife and the kids to ride trails, I also like the posibilty of a street bike, which the ttr225 would require mods to make.

Either way I would have to cycle the bike thru my brother in Ohio as Alabama will not title one street legal with out the MCO and only then if MCO does not say Off Highway

Any thoughts on a good value for this one.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:32 AM   #29
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Fork seals can always be had off eBay. Most of these bikes don't get ridden enough (ADV riders are a exception) to show high mileage even at 20 years.. -You'll see a lot with 6-10K, max.

The only issue I can see..maybe.. is with tires. Kinda wierd size.

Chip
Old 01-04-2007, 10:17 AM   #30
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

title

The TW200 comes with a regular title, and is registered as a street bike. The XT225 is almost identical to the TTR225, but it's also classified a street bike. Both TW200 and XT225 come with all lights, signals, speedo, and license plate mount.

Charles.