Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #31
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,879
This bike would make a great darkhorse machine for the Sandblast Rally in the sandhills of SC. Imagine passing 650s & 950s because you have the fat tires and the big bike guys are stuck in that deep sand spinning their wheels.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:17 AM   #32
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,923
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
This bike would make a great darkhorse machine for the Sandblast Rally in the sandhills of SC. Imagine passing 650s & 950s because you have the fat tires and the big bike guys are stuck in that deep sand spinning their wheels.
I'm bringing my son's TW as a pit bike.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 PM   #33
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 187
charles

Yeah, except for that whole 70mph top speed thing... and that I don't have that kind of skill. I crash all the time, even on the TW. I'm learning, and the bike is helping by being very easy to ride on surfaces other bikes have a hard time with.... but I still suck offroad :)

charles.
ChopperCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:12 PM   #34
kellyk7
Who knows

Oddometer: 1,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles
Yeah, .... but I still suck offroad :)

charles.
Yeah this is my concern, I have an XR650R and just signed up for NATRA( North Alabama Trail Riders Assoc. ) they have 6000 acers in Tn to ride, I been thinking the 650 could be ugly in the woods, so far my domain has been fire roads and back streets. I have use of my son's CR80 but this is a full on pee wee MX bike, so much so even he does not ride it. I just need to find a time to sell it and get another bike when the wife is not coveting every possible dollar for house fix up money or I will sell it and end up buying carpet. I try to explain even if they do it in the cartoons, YOU CAN'T RIDE CARPET.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
kellyk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:40 PM   #35
levity
nano-Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
.... when the wife is not coveting every possible dollar for house fix up money or I will sell it and end up buying carpet. I try to explain even if they do it in the cartoons, YOU CAN'T RIDE CARPET.
Mrs. levity prefers her TW to new carpet, especially in our dry creekbeds:

levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:40 AM   #36
MikeyT
Krusty Olde Pharte™

Oddometer: 5,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk7
this is an interesting thread, there is a TW200 listed on ebay, the seller is in B-Ham Alabama which is only 2 hrs from me, He obviously has no idea what he has and has confessed to me he got the bike from an auction, He also claims to have a rebuilt motor, to which I reply no reciepts = no new motor. The bike looks to be well used.

here is the ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...3549301&rd=1,1

My other option I am looking at is a 2004 ttr225 this bike I know is in very clean shape, I know the owner so it is almost a no brainer, but still like the cute fat chick in the corner, there is something about the little TW still tugs at me, making me feel that while she may cost me some dignaty, she is the more fun ride.

what is a fair price for the TW obnviously his 1100..00 is high, and how much effort is it to restore a 20 yr old bike
That auction is about to end without a bid, at least in part because it is listed in Other Makes instead of Yamaha. If I was about 700 miles closer I'd be on it like odor on a turd. At the least, I'd try to talk him down on price, but that's doesn't seem to be way out of line if it runs well.

99 Shadow Spirit 1100

"Non Illegitimi Carborundum"
MikeyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 04:56 AM   #37
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer: 8,198
That ebay auction lists the motor as 225?? Is that a mistake? I only remember 200's
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 09:46 AM   #38
Pwhallon
Noob

Oddometer: 141
Pannier mounts

Nice bike.

How did you mount the panniers? Home made mount or aftermarket?

Thanks,

Paul
Pwhallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 01:16 PM   #39
kellyk7
Who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket
That ebay auction lists the motor as 225?? Is that a mistake? I only remember 200's
I called the guy, he had it overbored, but it started life as a tw200
honestly if he still has it when I get the cr80 sold, I am going to pick it up, it has me intregued.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... It is about learning how to dance in the rain" - HAWK
Old 01-07-2007, 02:56 PM   #40
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

overbore

Remember, no receipts means no overbore was done. Don't pay for someone BSing you.

Charles
Old 01-07-2007, 03:49 PM   #41
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,098
I'd like to throw my 2 cents in as I own a TW200, I purchased it in 1994 new as a way to get into the back country (mountains) of Idaho. Now having owned this bike since new 12+ years now I've done nothing to it and I mean nothing it's stock as the day I bought it. I installed a small rack on the rear that's all.

This bike has been up many single track trails on the side of mountains, as a matter of fact many owners drop it down a tooth on the counter sprocket, I felt it unnecessary. It's not a MX, not a jumper and not fast, but for what it was designed for a go anywhere two wheeled mule. This bike has been around a long time I'd say the TW is to Yamaha what the KLR is to Kawasaki. The only changes I've seen is the morph from drum brakes to disk brakes, BTW I am still running my stock drum brakes.

Yes it is slow as it will run smoothly up to 50ish MPH 55 starts to vibrate 60 it's protesting but on a dirt road two track or single track trail 40 to 50 easy all day long. I think it would be a great TAT bike or even as mentioned South of the border runner provided one minor problem---fuel capacity! I get somewhere around 65 to 70 MPG (it might be more) I have to hit reserve around 130 or so miles. If there was a larger fuel tank for it I'd get as it is I had to strap a 1 gallon tank on the back for my extended desert travels, alas Pepe has been relegated to sitting on the porch as a loaner bike since I got the KLR and TIGER, however I take it out every two weeks just to keep the battery charged, thank god for kickers!

I just can't bring myself to sell it!

Here's an interesting site:

http://www.thumperpage.com/articles/tw200.html#specs

Oh Yea here's picture of it this past summer, my 16 year old daughter rode it up to Warm Lake from Cascade to swim. Notice the two TW's to the right very popular out here.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 04:17 PM   #42
crushingchestpain
Banned

Oddometer: 382
???

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrmondGS
I just picked up an '86 with all of 510 miles on her - looks like it just rolled off the showroom floor. Can't wait to get her broken in properly!
how is it possible to put on so few miles????
crushingchestpain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 06:16 PM   #43
Cornbread Red
Fart's dust

Oddometer: 1,529
Simple. A lot of these are owned by the retired RV traveler set. They don't get ridden much, but they're taken a zillion miles on the motorhome's rack.

Chip
Old 01-08-2007, 06:25 AM   #44
kellyk7
Who knows

SOOO that would explaine why one side of the bike looks new and the other has those little black spots all over it

Old 01-08-2007, 07:49 AM   #45
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Fuel mileage

Fuel mileage is even worse if you toss a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, giant ammo can saddle bags, a 295 lb fatass on the bike, and drive it at 65mph everywhere. I get 70 miles before reserve, which is about 46mpg. (I really wring it out. The throttle is wide open wherever I go)

There are several larger tanks made for the TW200... but you have to order them from Japan. There's a forum, tw200forum.com, and one of the guys on there lives in Japan and can source strange goodies for the TW200, including larger tanks.

Charles.