Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #46
AZstrommer
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 962
Foot pegs

Charles,

What pegs do you have on your TW? I have a set of Fastways but hey don't fit. Just wondering what yours are and where you got'm.

Thanks!

AZstrommer (and T-dubya nut)

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:49 AM   #47
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Footpegs

Those are IMS Super Stock footpegs, and I got them off of eBay for $70 or so after my foot rolled off the teensy stock peg when landing a jump. HURT!!!!

You see them listed on eBay every now and then. The pegs might also be listed for a PW50 - those fit right on the TW200 fine. Note that the XT225 pegs do NOT fit. (The left one does, but the right one is weird)

Charles.
ChopperCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:16 PM   #48
buddha
buried in the sand...

Oddometer: 706
Chopper -

Nice bike! I've been wanting to buy a TW for SWMBO, and one of my buddies is looking for one for his first dirt ride.

couple of questions:
  • I didn't think they would do 70mph ... are they just screaming at that speed?
  • I'd be scared to ride it around the triangle due to lack of power + crazy drivers. Ever had it out on 40? Could you take it out on 40, or does that spell certain death?
PM me if you want to ride sometime. I'm about an hour away. Don't have much to ride down where I am, either..... We've got sand, though. Lots of sand, so the TW would be perfect.

If not, I hope to see the TW at Michael's sometime soon. If you have to stand around and pose with your bike... that's the bike to do it with
Old 01-08-2007, 01:18 PM   #49
buddha
buried in the sand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
Sandblast Rally in the sandhills of SC.
Sandblast Rally? Tell me more! Where? When? Who? What?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:51 PM   #50
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sandblast rally

The TW200 WILL do 70mph with a 15-tooth countershaft sprocket. It will actually hit nearly 80 with a tailwind and a looooong downhill stretch with that gearing. 65mph is comfortable cruising. I've ridden 65-70mph in the slow lane on I40 from Durham to Knightdale 5 or 6 times so far, with no ill effects. I've put a thousand miles on it in the 6 or so months I've owned my TW, and while the highway is flat out the whole time, it doesn't hurt the bike. Stock the bike is geared for a 67mph redline in 5th. The 15 tooth countershaft sprocket gives you around 12mph more at redline. 80mph may be doable under certian circumstances, but with wind drag and rider weight, 70mph ends up being your useable max speed. And that drops down to 65 with any sort of uphill grade.

It's doable, it's not even that uncomfortable... but I'd rather take surface streets. It's a WHOLE lot more fun out of the heavy winds on the superslab.

As for the Sandhill rally... tell me more! Sounds like fun to me. And I'd love to go riding with you. Just let me know about a week in advance, and we can meet up and ride. I'm usually at Michael's, but not always on the TW. I have a few other bikes, and I switch up what I'm riding from week to week.

Charles.
Old 01-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #51
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles
Fuel mileage is even worse if you toss a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, giant ammo can saddle bags, a 295 lb fatass on the bike, and drive it at 65mph everywhere. I get 70 miles before reserve, which is about 46mpg. (I really wring it out. The throttle is wide open wherever I go)

There are several larger tanks made for the TW200... but you have to order them from Japan. There's a forum, tw200forum.com, and one of the guys on there lives in Japan and can source strange goodies for the TW200, including larger tanks.

Charles.
WOW CC, I can see how that effects your fuel consumption. I went and dug up my owner's manual (still have it) max load is 346 pounds that's everything so doing the math you 295 I know the cans you have weigh 20 pounds(empty) each thats 40 pounds equals 335 pounds and you've not even put anything in the cans yet.

As for speed have never gotten over 65 but thats just me, sounds like the little thumper is trying to escape with a jack hammer at that speed.

Since I had the manual out my 94 model spec states a 1.8 gal tank with .3 reserve so I hit reserve at about 1.5 gal consumed between 120 and 130 I flip to reserve that equates to say 120/1.5=80 MPG but remember I am running at around 40 mph 90% of the time, I'd say great commuter bike.

Soooo how do you mount those ammo cans? I have two 20mm sitting around. I normally just use a dry bag strapped on the back for carrying stuff

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 03:14 PM   #52
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

cans

Cans are attached with custom-fabricated steel brackets. I got out my MIG welder and had a go at it. They're quickly removable, but take forever to install. I'm thinking a beefier shock and some 15wt fork oil and he'll be okay for a higher load.

Charles.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:10 PM   #53
Mr. Magoo
n/a

Oddometer: 4,946
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddha
Sandblast Rally? Tell me more! Where? When? Who? What?
http://sandblastrally.com/2007/

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187246

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139599

There are other threads too. I'm entered on an HP2 but will have a TW there too. Come on down and spread the word. It's gonna be great!
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 09:02 PM   #54
witty username
n00b

Oddometer: 8
the do-it-all machine

I bought an 05 new as my first bike. Have really enjoyed it so far. Put about 3500 miles on it-combination of single track, dirt road and state highways. A couple days of 250 or so miles. I dropped the rear sprocket to 47 teeth and it made a big difference in terms of comfort in the 50 -60mph range and didn't seem to hurt the low end much. My father liked it so much, he bought an 06. We make quite the lame cycle gang.

I got the Cylceracks rack for it and it works really well. (The guy is great to deal with, real old fashioned business guy). I attached a 3in peice of PVC to the grab handle with some jumbo zip ties and hose clamps. Plan to use it to hold some tools and some MSR fuel bottles as a extra "tank" for my touring. I will have to post up some pics when I figure it out.

All in all, a great all purpose bike that gets 70-80 mpg consistently and you can't beat the price.
witty username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 08:58 AM   #55
buddha
buried in the sand...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
Oh, right! I cornerworked that rally a few years ago when it was the Sandhills Sandblast. No bikes allowed then, though. I'll be sure to ride down this year to spectate, if not cornerwork.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #56
ChopperCharles OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Sandblast..

Ah... that Sandblast rally is a rally race.... I was just looking for a bunch of guys getting together and riding, not an organized competition. Oh well.

Charles.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:21 PM   #57
Pwhallon
Noob

Oddometer: 141
TW-200 vs AG-200

There is a "UK" Yamaha called the AG-200E.

I wonder if they share the same engine? The AG is supposed to be one tough little bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor....htm?motor.asp

The AG is on the lower left side of the pictures. The TW is on there as well. According to the specs, the engines look the same.

So? Why doesn't Yamaha sell the AG here?

PW

Pwhallon screwed with this post 01-09-2007 at 12:28 PM
Pwhallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:08 PM   #58
BigVrider
yep.

Oddometer: 17
I just bought an '87 with 6000 miles on it for $700. It was going to be for my wife's first bike...it's too much fun! I might have to find another one for her now that I have had it down a couple of trails.
BigVrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 PM   #59
gas_pig70
Mmm... mud!

Oddometer: 1,407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwhallon
There is a "UK" Yamaha called the AG-200E.

I wonder if they share the same engine? The AG is supposed to be one tough little bike.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/motor....htm?motor.asp

The AG is on the lower left side of the pictures. The TW is on there as well. According to the specs, the engines look the same.

So? Why doesn't Yamaha sell the AG here?

PW
Perhaps because there's little interest in an "Agricultural" bike here. The TW200E is categorized as "Trail".
Old 01-12-2007, 09:26 PM   #60
Beachboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 423
I looked at a used '05 with > 4000 miles for $2,300.00 earlier this week, still under a transferable warranty, I was told. I was very tempted to buy it, just to play with and to have a little dual sport that could be left in the bed of my truck for use "anytime / anywhere".
I may go look at it again next week and see if I can get it for less $$$.
Beachboy is offline   Reply With Quote