ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2007, 06:53 AM   #91
bullfrog
Dismember
 
bullfrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Armpit of Texas
Oddometer: 591
got the wife a tw
she lets me play on it when she's taking a break...




she's been having a BLAST!!!





__________________
R1150GS Hacked, Speed Triple 1050, 450XCW Plated

bullfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 05:35 PM   #92
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperCharles
Fuel mileage is even worse if you toss a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket, giant ammo can saddle bags, a 295 lb fatass on the bike, and drive it at 65mph everywhere. I get 70 miles before reserve, which is about 46mpg. . .

Charles.
Local guy (maybe 5'9", 150 lbs) commutes on his, says he gets an honest 80 mpg, consistently, in an area with moderate traffic, some 50 mph roads, a bit of stop-n-go, RT maybe 30 miles daily. Hard to beat that!

Charles -- is that you that's nearly 300 lbs.?? I've ridden the TW, loved it, but at 6 ft. / 230 lbs. I've wondered how it handles fairly large riders, on rough terrain.

Also: I'm thinking that regardless of the TW's over the top traction, those drum brakes are pretty much getting to their limit at around 50 mph. That's fast enough for me on so small a bike, and I seriously don't want to be on anything that can out-go its stopping ability. I'm thinking there's a reason that it gets pretty much done between 50 and 60 . . . ?
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:02 PM   #93
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Don't know when they chnged but they don't have a drum in the font anymore.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bob
Local guy (maybe 5'9", 150 lbs) commutes on his, says he gets an honest 80 mpg, consistently, in an area with moderate traffic, some 50 mph roads, a bit of stop-n-go, RT maybe 30 miles daily. Hard to beat that!

Charles -- is that you that's nearly 300 lbs.?? I've ridden the TW, loved it, but at 6 ft. / 230 lbs. I've wondered how it handles fairly large riders, on rough terrain.

Also: I'm thinking that regardless of the TW's over the top traction, those drum brakes are pretty much getting to their limit at around 50 mph. That's fast enough for me on so small a bike, and I seriously don't want to be on anything that can out-go its stopping ability. I'm thinking there's a reason that it gets pretty much done between 50 and 60 . . . ?
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:12 PM   #94
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
Don't know when they chnged but they don't have a drum in the font anymore.
Drum brakes aren't all that bad, really. My '63 CB77 Superhawk had a huge (for that era) front drum, with double leading shoes -- pretty much what roadracing bikes used back then. The stopping power of that front brake was seriously more than the stock tires could handle.

As I recall, the big advantage of disk brakes were their better performance in rainy weather, and the fact that they were much lighter than a large-diameter drum brake.

So how capable are the TW200's brakes? Good control at 40-50-60 ? Decent when wet (I'm thinking stream-crossing immersion) ? Good "feel" -- brake lever movement & feedback ?
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #95
moterbiker
Gypsy diver
 
moterbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2002
Location: BOAF Caves, NC
Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bob
Drum brakes aren't all that bad, really. My '63 CB77 Superhawk had a huge (for that era) front drum, with double leading shoes -- pretty much what roadracing bikes used back then. The stopping power of that front brake was seriously more than the stock tires could handle.

As I recall, the big advantage of disk brakes were their better performance in rainy weather, and the fact that they were much lighter than a large-diameter drum brake.

So how capable are the TW200's brakes? Good control at 40-50-60 ? Decent when wet (I'm thinking stream-crossing immersion) ? Good "feel" -- brake lever movement & feedback ?
The brakes re pretty good, I felt comfortable with the stopping ability at 60MPH. The biggest drawback to drum brakes is fading at higher speeds, that is why all those sport bikes back in the day had those airscoops on the side of the drums.
__________________
Some random stuff for sale

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988511
moterbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #96
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by moterbiker
The brakes re pretty good, I felt comfortable with the stopping ability at 60MPH. The biggest drawback to drum brakes is fading at higher speeds, that is why all those sport bikes back in the day had those airscoops on the side of the drums.
"Airscoops" ?? Is that what them is ??

Dude, I learned to ride in South Louisiana. We called them "waterscoops," back in the day. 'Course down there, your carburetor wasn't the only thing that needed a snorkle if you got caught by a ThunderFlooder while out riding !
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 11:39 AM   #97
NoleDiver
trees are hard
 
NoleDiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: right here
Oddometer: 871
Tire question

ChopperCharles - looks like you put a Maxxis 'rear' tire on the front of yours; I was thinking of doing the same but have a couple o' questions...

Do you notice much advantage with that tire? It seems it would work a lot better in the dirt since the lugs are deeper.

I have been told not to put a 'rear' tire on the front and vice versa but no one can tell me why. So... WHY? I get the idea of NOT putting a 'front' on the rear due to loading and engine force, but why not put a 'rear' on the front?

What psi do you run? It seems like a rear tire on the front would be stiffer and putting a little more air in it would handle better on the street.
__________________
"Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
NoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:49 PM   #98
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Used Bike Question --

Local guy's advertising an '89 TW200 for $1500. Haven't seen it yet, but in my experience any decent condition bike (or car) hits "rock bottom" at around $1200 - 1500. Much below that, you'll make up the difference in repairs. (Excepting those rare little-old-lady discoveries, or the friend's bike that's been sitting in the back of the barn forever.)

I know the TW has been around "forever." Aside from converting the front brake from drum (on the '89) to a disc (by '01), were there any sweeping changes between the '89 TW and the current models?

What about parts interchangeability, or availability of old-model parts, when they're not interchangeable w/current model ?

Any warnings of major flaws to watch out for? I'm thinking year/model-related flaws, rather than the obvious stuff that's indicative of too many miles, neglect, etc. Top-end repairs, new chains, stuff like that is do-able, but if there's an "Achilles heel" problem w/tranny bearings or unavailable fork seals, or whatnot, it'd be nice to be forewarned.

What about it? Anybody got an '89?

I'm going to check it out. Even if it needs some work, I might try to negotiate a price that says "rattle-can camo ... maybe a "project bike" that will out-Tractor ChopperCharles' rig . . .
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #99
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Addendum

Talked to the guy. He claims "4700 miles, needs a battery and rear brake shoes."
Comments ?
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 PM   #100
NoleDiver
trees are hard
 
NoleDiver's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: right here
Oddometer: 871
Sounds a little high. You may be in for a carb, new tires/tubes, chain/sprockets... Look for crankcase gasket weeping, rear bearings and rust in the tank and petcok. Have a good look at the cables. Make sure the starter solenoid works.
__________________
"Beer is the proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." Benjamin Franklin
NoleDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 06:25 PM   #101
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleDiver
Sounds a little high. You may be in for a carb, new tires/tubes, chain/sprockets... Look for crankcase gasket weeping, rear bearings and rust in the tank and petcok. Have a good look at the cables. Make sure the starter solenoid works.
Agreed about the price being high. I'm thinking if it looks & runs decent, offer him $ 800, let him call me if he doesn't get a better offer. I'm thinking it's worth maybe $900-1000 for "decent" condition, maybe $ 1100 for "cherry."
He's already said he intends to move it before the weekend's over, yet he's leaving town tomorrow a.m., returning late Sat. night. His putting himself under pressure works for me ! We'll see . . .
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #102
yater
Beastly Adventurer
 
yater's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 8,517
You should be able to find a mid 90s bike with even fewer miles for that price. If you can clean a carb, you'll be good to go. Just make sure there's no rust in the tank.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:37 PM   #103
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by yater
You should be able to find a mid 90s bike with even fewer miles for that price. If you can clean a carb, you'll be good to go. Just make sure there's no rust in the tank.
Y'know . . . when he got to the part about "I repainted it because after I fixed the hole in the gas tank where the previous owner wrecked it and bent the tank and ... "
and then he seemed clueless about anything else about the bike's mechanical history,
I'm not even going over to look at it.

A tweak or two to upgrade or personalize a bike is one thing. A rebuild is quite another thing. I have the shop stuff and the skills, but I'd rather spend my limited time riding than wrenching.

Maybe next one !
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 04:41 AM   #104
brianwheelies
Iron toocus
 
brianwheelies's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Oddometer: 3,118
What are tires for the TW200 speed rated for? I wish I could get a set to fit my DR650 but looks like a wide swingarm would be required out back. Could use that footprint in the soft stuff though!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninVT View Post
Adding a turbo or supercharger doesn't automatically turn an engine into a Palestinian alarm clock.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:27 PM   #105
Mountain Bob
and OSO, my silver bear
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Northwestern US
Oddometer: 165
Creative Language Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies
What are tires for the TW200 speed rated for?
You may be the first person to ever use the words "TW200" and "speed" next to each other in the same sentence . .

That being said, the little scoots sure are a fun ride !
__________________
Sometimes, a ride is just a ride. If it's on a Guzzi, it's a real ride !!
Mountain Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014