User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2007, 11:26 PM   #1
mike cramb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,312
My 640 makeover

Hey POPs and Creeper shes nearly finished thanks for your help along the way. Hid lights , Wings slip on, KTM high guard kit, Double stamp excell front rim , Michelin desert front and rear , Carbon fibre tank guards from Chris Barnes in the UK, Dalby moto pannier frames , Andy strapz panniers.

Aint she purdy, and she goes as good as she looks

MIKE

Old 01-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #2
Dotbond
Africa, Africa

Oddometer: 733
That is looking good!! Now go find some sand.

2008 N.Z.Yamaha Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306905
2007 N.Z.Adventures Safari: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201557
Dotbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 12:40 AM   #3
bmwktmbill
Traveler

Oddometer: 4,736
Beautiful.
Well chosen.
Bill.

The faster it goes the faster it breaks.
And high performance=high maintenance.
Bill Shockley
bmwktmbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 01:27 AM   #4
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike cramb
Hey POPs and Creeper shes nearly finished thanks for your help along the way. Hid lights , Wings slip on, KTM high guard kit, Double stamp excell front rim , Michelin desert front and rear , Carbon fibre tank guards from Chris Barnes in the UK, Dalby moto pannier frames , Andy strapz panniers.

Aint she purdy, and she goes as good as she looks

MIKE

That's lookin good Mike. I'm thinking of adapting a set of those pannier racks up to mine, any chance you could post up a pick of the arsend of yer bike?
Thanks
Bill
Old 01-04-2007, 02:06 AM   #5
mike cramb OP
Beastly Adventurer

here tis

here ya go old dog. I drilled out the top 6mm bolt and retapped it to 8mm and fitted a high tensile bolt. as recomened by Dalby Moto.

MIKE

Old 01-04-2007, 08:36 AM   #6
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Congrats on completing your bike's makeover - I hope she takes you where you where you might not want to be... and back again!

PS - I was working on fitting my Chris Barnes guards, and found a couple of issues: (1) they do not allow the fairing to sit properly - they come between the tank and the fairing so that the fairing bolt holes do not line up with the clip bolts (mounting points). Did your fairing go back into place without pushing against the guards? Does your fairing have a little "lip" (approximately 6mm) along the bottom edge, where it meets the tank?

(2) they are a bit "sprung" on my 03 - meaning they need a bit of pressure to fully seat on the tank. Are they a perfect fit on your 06? I believe the tanks vary a bit among years and Chris used an 06 tank as his mould. What this meant is my mounting system (fugitive bond adhesive) is not strong enough to hold the guards in place because they are trying to "pop" off the tank. I know that the "permanent" caulk method would work fine, but I was trying to use a removable adhesive (with some hard mounts that I fashioned).

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:52 AM   #7
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Maybe the CF guards are designed to adhere only to "bass boat" orange metalflake paint.
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #8
crazybrit
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,457
Dalby moto pannier frames

Whats the scoop on the Dalby moto pannier frames? They look like they are designed specifically for soft luggage?

From poking around I'm guessing they are made by http://www.dalbymoto.com.au? Australia only? I'm in the US.

I want to use my Ortlieb soft panniers on my SXC and these look like just what I want. The only other panniers designed for soft bags I'm aware of (someone please tell me if I'm wrong) are the Dirt-Bagz ones (I don't like their design). Otherwise it's hard luggage brackets like the Touratech or Happy Trails.

Whats the price on these Dalby pannier frames?
crazybrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #9
motowest
Two-wheeled Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,247
Looks good, Mike. No bashplate from KTMatt?
motowest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM   #10
mike cramb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
Congrats on completing your bike's makeover - I hope she takes you where you where you might not want to be... and back again!

PS - I was working on fitting my Chris Barnes guards, and found a couple of issues: (1) they do not allow the fairing to sit properly - they come between the tank and the fairing so that the fairing bolt holes do not line up with the clip bolts (mounting points). Did your fairing go back into place without pushing against the guards? Does your fairing have a little "lip" (approximately 6mm) along the bottom edge, where it meets the tank?

(2) they are a bit "sprung" on my 03 - meaning they need a bit of pressure to fully seat on the tank. Are they a perfect fit on your 06? I believe the tanks vary a bit among years and Chris used an 06 tank as his mould. What this meant is my mounting system (fugitive bond adhesive) is not strong enough to hold the guards in place because they are trying to "pop" off the tank. I know that the "permanent" caulk method would work fine, but I was trying to use a removable adhesive (with some hard mounts that I fashioned).

Mine fit great the only issue is the hole for the fuel tap is a little off and now requires some digital dexteratity to turn on to reserve.

I did say the fugitive bond thingy was over the top. Mine havent moved using my method which is .

Step 1 Apply a clear contact adhesave film to area to be covered by guards.
Step 2 Apply 1/2 inch double sided automotive tape to outside edge of carbon fibre guard .

Step 3 apply liberal quanity of silicone (whatever type floats your boat) to inside of carbon guard .

Step4 line up carefully and push on (after removing double sided tape cover)

Step 5 clamp onto tank using tube bands and wait 24hrs to set.

Give that a go, mine did want to spring off a bit left side above fuel tap did require more silicone and clamping an extra 24 hrs.

IM very happy with them especially since I found out I can sand them back and respray with clear lacquer when scratched and they come up like new.

NO lip on my fairing and the guards fit very snugly in this area.

Oh and happy new year

MIKE
Old 01-04-2007, 05:45 PM   #11
mike cramb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybrit
Whats the scoop on the Dalby moto pannier frames? They look like they are designed specifically for soft luggage?

From poking around I'm guessing they are made by http://www.dalbymoto.com.au? Australia only? I'm in the US.

I want to use my Ortlieb soft panniers on my SXC and these look like just what I want. The only other panniers designed for soft bags I'm aware of (someone please tell me if I'm wrong) are the Dirt-Bagz ones (I don't like their design). Otherwise it's hard luggage brackets like the Touratech or Happy Trails.

Whats the price on these Dalby pannier frames?
Yes they are made to suit soft panniers Andy Stapz to be precise. I will pm you there phone number. very easy to organise credit card payment over the phone and shipping. They are a very reliable company. You can search for Andy Strapz and check out there expedition panniers. They also do the credit card over the phone and they arrive a few days later also very reliabe company.

The pannier frames cost me $325 ozy dollars plus shipping Our dollar is currently @ 80 cents US so there cheap. Andy Strapz were About $280 ozy dollars if I remember correctly.

MIKE
Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM   #12
mike cramb OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by motowest
Looks good, Mike. No bashplate from KTMatt?

ITs comming Matt left them locked up at the welders and hes on holidays till mid January.

Which is just as well cause im nearly broke after Chrissy Ive only worked 5 weeks in the last 12 .

MIKE
Old 01-04-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Mine fit great the only issue is the hole for the fuel tap is a little off and now requires some digital dexteratity to turn on to reserve.

I did say the fugitive bond thingy was over the top. Mine havent moved using my method which is .

Step 1 Apply a clear contact adhesave film to area to be covered by guards.
Step 2 Apply 1/2 inch double sided automotive tape to outside edge of carbon fibre guard .

Step 3 apply liberal quanity of silicone (whatever type floats your boat) to inside of carbon guard .

Step4 line up carefully and push on (after removing double sided tape cover)

Step 5 clamp onto tank using tube bands and wait 24hrs to set.

Give that a go, mine did want to spring off a bit left side above fuel tap did require more silicone and clamping an extra 24 hrs.

IM very happy with them especially since I found out I can sand them back and respray with clear lacquer when scratched and they come up like new.

NO lip on my fairing and the guards fit very snugly in this area.

Oh and happy new year

MIKE
I am thinking a little grinding around the hole might be in order, but I wanted to try it out first.

The fugitive bond stuff is 'under the top' since it is not strong enough to resist the spring action... but thanks for posting your method, becuase it reads like it would save the tank's finish.

So the "wall" of your fairing doesn't have a little "ridge" along the bottom edge, maybe for structural strength? Could be a change between years.

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 10:16 PM   #14
OldDog
Smelly Adventurer type

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
here ya go old dog. I drilled out the top 6mm bolt and retapped it to 8mm and fitted a high tensile bolt. as recomened by Dalby Moto.

MIKE

Thanks Mike, That looks bloody good, should fit over my tanks easy enough. Have to modify that front stay to go downwards..........hmmmm
Old 01-04-2007, 10:32 PM   #15
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Hi Mike,

I've been sick with the flu ... and as I don't keep my computer next to the bed or toilet, I've not looked at is since Tuesday morning.

Yer' bike is coming along nicely.

I do like those panny racks, very clean and compact.

Back to bed... cheers.
C