ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-23-2010, 01:35 PM   #15061
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,755
An adult stone fly.

The nymphs are pretty retro looking too -

mb90535im is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #15062
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 685
That's it! Plecoptera. Wild looking things, and they get damn big. I seem to have several of them:

Does that mean my part of Talking Rock is still in the Mesozoic era?
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #15063
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Dave
That's it! Plecoptera. Wild looking things, and they get damn big. I seem to have several of them:

Does that mean my part of Talking Rock is still in the Mesozoic era?
I don't know how ancient the art of noodling for fish is, but Talking Rock Creek is the only place I've actually seen people doing it. Don't know what it's like now, but you use to be able to take a little dirt road down to the creek at the HW 136 bridge and put your canoe in there. I pulled in the road once and went around the turn and wound up right in the middle of an Outlaws MC Club campout. I've met worse people hanging out around bridges.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #15064
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Cactus Dave

Damn Dave, you have a place in Talking Rock and we have been starting our rides in Suches. You are missing out on some good riding my friend.

Now tell me you haven't started the Baja report yet. Or have I over looked it?
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:52 PM   #15065
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
You ever gone out Shyers Ford, and came up on the round house? Or taken Shady Grove back around to the church? A few years ago during the drought I came in off some back roads around Hinton crossed the creek and came out at the church. A few weeks ago I tried to do it in reverse and the damn creek was so swift I chickened out because I was alone. I don't think I'm getting any smarter, must just be getting old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM
I don't know how ancient the art of noodling for fish is, but Talking Rock Creek is the only place I've actually seen people doing it. Don't know what it's like now, but you use to be able to take a little dirt road down to the creek at the HW 136 bridge and put your canoe in there. I pulled in the road once and went around the turn and wound up right in the middle of an Outlaws MC Club campout. I've met worse people hanging out around bridges.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:21 PM   #15066
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
You ever gone out Shyers Ford, and came up on the round house? Or taken Shady Grove back around to the church? A few years ago during the drought I came in off some back roads around Hinton crossed the creek and came out at the church. A few weeks ago I tried to do it in reverse and the damn creek was so swift I chickened out because I was alone. I don't think I'm getting any smarter, must just be getting old.
Never explored the roads much around there, it used to be a great two day float, camp at the bluffs, but I went about 5 years ago and it was all built up along the creek, and people packed in at the bluffs. I can see being able to cross during the drought, I've been down it a few times when the name ought to be Walking Rock instead of Talking Rock.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 03:30 PM   #15067
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Mike -

I'm on Shyers Ford Rd. I've ridden that:
1. Down to Talking Rock Creek and crossed at Shyers Ford (I've found the deep and the shallow ways across . . . .), and there is plenty of riding on the south side of the creek.
2. Out the road to Shady Grove Baptist Church
3. 95% of the way to Shady Grove, and off to the left and down to Talking Rock Creek

I just finished my place immediately prior to going to Baja, and things were so hectic, I neglected "pleasure" and "fun" rides. We'll get together and you can show me the ways out of Talking Rock.

I've been delinquent on the Baja Ride Report thread. It's this whole "work" thing that keeps interrupting . . . . .

But, here are a few "teasers" to tide you over until I can do a proper report, spin the proper yarn, tell the tall tales with sufficient embellishment (that will require a wee bit o' tequila and the "clarity of vision" that accompanies such imbibing):

First day of pre-running, RM 35 (Ojos Negros) to RM 75 (Hwy 3). This is about RM 49 a stop to make sure everyone was OK and nothing had shaken loose (yet), etc.:

Pre-running Day 2: Erindira (RM 325) to Urupan (RM 370). This is on the coast about RM 335 at Punta Cabras - a Chamber of Commerce locale for sure:

Of course, there was some beer and tequila to be drunk in between while attending to emails;

Pre-running Day 3: the Summit (RM 95 to RM 197). A few flats were encountered. Here JohnBoyHenson demonstrates his tire fixing technique:

And then of course, there is Tech Day (the day before the race) in Ensenada and all the Trophy Trucks and buggies. It is a HUGE party:

I'm waiting on the remainder of our photos from one of the members of the group, so the proper ride report will be a few days coming. But, I promise it will be entertaining!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 06-23-2010, 04:29 PM   #15068
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:

I've been delinquent on the Baja Ride Report thread. It's this whole "work" thing that keeps interrupting . . . . .

But, here are a few "teasers" to tide you over until I can do a proper report, spin the proper yarn, tell the tall tales with sufficient embellishment (that will require a wee bit o' tequila and the "clarity of vision" that accompanies such imbibing):

First day of pre-running, RM 35 (Ojos Negros) to RM 75 (Hwy 3). This is about RM 49 a stop to make sure everyone was OK and nothing had shaken loose (yet), etc.:

Pre-running Day 2: Erindira (RM 325) to Urupan (RM 370). This is on the coast about RM 335 at Punta Cabras - a Chamber of Commerce locale for sure:

Of course, there was some beer and tequila to be drunk in between while attending to emails;

Pre-running Day 3: the Summit (RM 95 to RM 197). A few flats were encountered. Here JohnBoyHenson demonstrates his tire fixing technique:

And then of course, there is Tech Day (the day before the race) in Ensenada and all the Trophy Trucks and buggies. It is a HUGE party:

I'm waiting on the remainder of our photos from one of the members of the group, so the proper ride report will be a few days coming. But, I promise it will be entertaining!

Cheers,

Dave
where are the mexicans? didn't you take any with you? there are millions in Los Angeles if you can't find any in mexico.

FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #15069
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by ro_manian
Met two nice guys this morning at TWO around 9 am, one on a KTM and the other one on a GS 1200. I was on a yellow Vstrom.

Please identify yourselves, you know who you are

It was great talking with you guys, as I'm a long time lurker around this thread.

Adrian

I was just to your left of the gentlemen that you speak of sitting alone at the end of the chair row, we actually exchanged words also.

Glad to see that you signed on. Hope to see you out and about again soon.

Billy

PS-How do you loike the over sized fairing on thr Strom?

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:24 PM   #15070
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597

Dave, who is the fellow in the back holding the bike up? Seems I know him...
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:54 PM   #15071
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Ummm,

I'd be surprised if that is the case Flux. That is Ed Hockensmith from Drake, CO. Ed is one helluva enduro rider. I've been with him when he's taken a 950 Adventurer places a Baja XR650R race bike struggled with. Ed rode the Summit across the dry lake bed, thru Borrego and to Mike's road (RM 95 to RM 220) during the race in 106 degree temps. Not exactly what Ed had been training for at 10,000 feet in the Colorado Rockies with snow still on the trails. Worst part of his ride were the 40 miles of endless deep sand whoops from Laguna Salada to Borrego. 5 miles of deep sand whoops is bad. 10 miles and you're whipped and reduced to doing endless deep knee bends rolling over and thru them, while fighting the front end from washing in the deep, suck the energy out of you, sand. And you're only 1/4 of the way thru . . . . That is what the San Felipe 250 is: 250 miles of deep sand whoops. They suck. Big time. Ed's baja nickname was siete toro: sitting bull. He rode sitting down, at speed (bad knees), and was still faster than most kids standing on the pegs.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:18 PM   #15072
Philip Kuntz
Fleasy Rider

Oddometer: 4,657
Looking forward to your report Dave. I met you and John Boy at a store in North GA about 7 weeks ago. You guys graciously gave us some directions. Thanks again!
Philip Kuntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #15073
Dirt Vader

Oddometer: 838
Quote:
Ed's baja nickname was siete toro: sitting bull. He rode sitting down, at speed (bad knees), and was still faster than most kids standing on the pegs.

siete means seven.

not that it matters but i've got to be me.

FOR SALE
04 Tuono 07 TE510 tagged
Dirt Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #15074
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,585
Toro Sentado???

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM   #15075
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,345
Spent a week riding in NC and a little bit of TN. Some great riding up there and the temperatures were a lot lower than back in Hotlanta.

I'm working on the ride report here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=589110

klaviator screwed with this post 06-24-2010 at 12:03 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote