ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 03:25 PM   #19261
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
That town should be called Hellen.

Luckily I don't have to go through there often.
I fully agree. I tell people I live just outside Helen and the immediate response is "I love that place!"

"Why?" is my immediate question back. My parents both worked in Helen for years (Dad was Assistant Police Chief, Mom still works there and is the Executive Director of the Convention and Visitors Bureau) and the crap I've heard about over the years...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Actually, there's a grocery store on a side street on the north end of town (Sue's or Betty's or something like that). They have a deli counter and do a pretty good boxed lunch sandwich. I've picked them up there several times to enjoy on the side of the stream for lunch while trout fishing.
Betty's is awesome, probably the only place I do visit when I run through town...excellent boxed lunches made to order at the Deli counter, and they have some great steaks in the meat case almost all the time. Old time candy selection is fun, along with their odd ball soda assortment...only place I can still find Jolt Cola and old fashioned root beer in a glass bottle WITHOUT a twist off metal cap.

Main street has become (or maybe always was) just a tourist trap...little shops peddling wares that no one needs. There is a coffee shop on mainstreet that serves the locally famous Jumping Goat Coffee. I did their website a few years back, it's been sold but the original owner wanted a CHEAP website...$50 and 4 hours later she got this: http://www.highergroundcoffeeandmore.com/ By far the worst representation in my portfolio.

Tubing for the last few years has been cruddy due to the height of the river...shouldn't be called tubing, should be called walking. However their site is one I'm more proud of: http://www.coolrivertubing.com

If you wanna tube come to my house instead...the section of the Chattahoochee we live on has sections over 18 ft deep...no walking there.

The Nacoochee Tavern is outside of town in an area they are trying to develop as Nacoochee Village. Tavern has good pizza, calzones, sandwiches...the Nacoochee Grill next door has more sit down dinner type food and some excellent fish options on the menu.
Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #19262
Gentri in GA
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
On Any Sunday....

Just finished watching this flick... gotta say, the Motocross section crash and burns made me laugh out loud... sadly, from most of my own experiences...

Fun flick. Check it out if you haven't already... like a time capsule for the sport for some of us late comers.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #19263
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,300
Got out on the GS today. Great day for it. Went over to the Narrows Picnic Road. Found the Corpsewood Manor and wrestled the GS down there (worked up a sweat doing THAT). Never been down in there before.....Seems Satan was not there today and I escaped whatever haunted feelings one is supposed to experience there.

BUT....was real careful not to get to close to my ridin buddy just in case he started gettin some of the kwer feelings that have been rumored to exist down there.

SDVET let me ride that F800 some today......pretty sweet ride!

From there went over to Mentone, AL and rode that bluff north, then down to Daughtery Gap and through the Pigeon Mtn area. Stopped for a break at Hoods Overlook, then a spirited trip home thru Villanow and the Mill Creek area.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 PM   #19264
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Got out on the GS today. Great day for it. Went over to the Narrows Picnic Road. Found the Corpsewood Manor and wrestled the GS down there (worked up a sweat doing THAT). Never been down in there before.....Seems Satan was not there today and I escaped whatever haunted feelings one is supposed to experience there.

BUT....was real careful not to get to close to my ridin buddy just in case he started gettin some of the kwer feelings that have been rumored to exist down there.

SDVET let me ride that F800 some today......pretty sweet ride!

From there went over to Mentone, AL and rode that bluff north, then down to Daughtery Gap and through the Pigeon Mtn area. Stopped for a break at Hoods Overlook, then a spirited trip home thru Villanow and the Mill Creek area.

Fido
That's a good ride. But I have to tell you, the times I've been to Corpsewood by myself I've gotten very creeped out....that urge to bolt and run like hell.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:21 PM   #19265
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
... Found the Corpsewood Manor ...
Fido
Beau,
Are they still cutting timber in there ??
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #19266
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

CUTTING timber? Saw evidence of a lot of that on the way in, but didn't see any current activity. I CAN tell you that there were trees down all over the trail down to the ruins. It was a job to 'rastle that big GS down in there. And you can see in these pics alot of tree damage.

Must have been a pretty good storm there not too long ago.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
Old 03-03-2011, 07:35 PM   #19267
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Up the Hill from the Pond / Dam, I saw a Skidder & logging going on a month or two ago
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #19268
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Fido next time you are on 157 in that area find the sign for Zahnd Natural
Area, park in the little turnout directly across the road from the sign, and take the trail right behind the turnout, you will come to the bluff in about 50 yards or less, I think it's my favorite overlook in the whole area.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #19269
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Is that north or south of Dougherty Gap Road?

And by the way......be careful on 157. We were booking pretty good up there today and three goats ran across the road. I did okay missing them but SDVET, who was behind me, didn't catch on so quick and 'bout ran all over me trying to get slowed in time.

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
Old 03-03-2011, 08:03 PM   #19270
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Is that north or south of Dougherty Gap Road?

And by the way......be careful on 157. We were booking pretty good up there today and three goats ran across the road. I did okay missing them but SDVET, who was behind me, didn't catch on so quick and 'bout ran all over me trying to get slowed in time.

Upper kiosk: On Ga. 157 4.4 miles north of Dougherty Gap Road. The pull-off is on the east or northbound side of highway.

They call it a kiosk, but it's just a dinky sign.

Edit: Those are the official directions, I think it may be a little further than 4.4 miles, if headed north, you will pass a 55 mph speed sign a little before the turnout.

GaM screwed with this post 03-03-2011 at 08:30 PM
Old 03-03-2011, 08:13 PM   #19271
joseywales76
hasbeen

Oddometer: 93
[QUOTE=GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB;15318428]Funny Story, had a buddy go dualsporting with me one day, meet him in Dawsonville. ( Yea he trucked it up Coates) We go a couple of miles of trails, don't even get to 136 and he has a flat. He patches it and we get almost to 136, flat again. Being me I'm ready to munch some miles, and say let me have this one. Checked real good for nails, patch still looks good but a huge slit in the tube. I found an 8" tire iron in the tire floating around. He says damn I've been looking everywhere for that SOB! Save yourself some trouble on the road and have a look.

lmao, that theres funny
joseywales76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #19272
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,727
so u pulled the tube off,filled it with air checked for leaks around the tube, checked the patch, then found a huge slit in the tube, and then found an eight inch tire iron in the tire ??? One would think that kinda thing would be the first thing some one noticed when they tried taking the tube out. I bet he was glad to get his tire iron back. I would love to have been able to see n his face a[QUOTE=joseywales76;15330900]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Funny Story, had a buddy go dualsporting with me one day, meet him in Dawsonville. ( Yea he trucked it up Coates) We go a couple of miles of trails, don't even get to 136 and he has a flat. He patches it and we get almost to 136, flat again. Being me I'm ready to munch some miles, and say let me have this one. Checked real good for nails, patch still looks good but a huge slit in the tube. I found an 8" tire iron in the tire floating around. He says damn I've been looking everywhere for that SOB! Save yourself some trouble on the road and have a look.

lmao, that theres funny

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561

lucky_strike screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 06:57 AM
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM   #19273
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Hey DOGS,

How about keeping my daughter, Noelle, in your thoughts and prayers please. As if being a struggling single mom isn't tough enough, she fell in her tub last weekend and broke her jaw in three places. Finally saw a surgeon yesterday and got the bad news that he's going to have to cut her face to put a plate in to rebuild one side and her mouth is going to be wired shut at least 6 weeks. Needless to say, she's pretty distraught. Surgery coming up this Friday morning if her mom and I can get her there.
How long will she have to be wired? Its really not that bad with a good attitude. I was wired for 4 weeks once and 8 weeks once. Get a board and grease pencil for her to write on for a while, talking will hurt like hell for a bit . You can puree damn near anything with a little determination and creativity... If sucking food through a straw gets too difficult, get a big syringe and a short piece of large sterile tubing and snake the food areound behind her back teeth. If the doc says ice is ok ( Im sure they will ) the gel-type headache mask things work wonders. Good luck to you guys.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:29 PM   #19274
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,828
Quote:
And by the way......be careful on 157. We were booking pretty good up there today and three goats ran across the road.
You know, I think that I heard something about there being some old goats up that way recently.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 12:36 PM   #19275
Wheedle
I love inflatable fun!

Oddometer: 3,772
Another brake bleeding/spongy lever tip...
If you think you've got all the air out, but still have a soft lever try this
-Try to get the bars situated where the reservior port in the m/c is the highest point
-Pull the lever down with a zip-tie ( snug, but not stoopit tight )
-Leave overnight
-Cut the tie and try the brakes in the morning.

Life is short, Enjoy the ride!
- Todd Phillips
Ride in peace brother.....
Wheedle is offline   Reply With Quote