ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2011, 06:37 PM   #20266
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 View Post
wow

In person it will take your breath away.

On a side note. I came into a closed road with the state patrol today on the DRZ and he said "So you're the one running around with a chainsaw in a backpack" and waved me on through.

So I have a new strategy for getting into closed areas. Orange high vis vest, chain saw in my backpack. Who can argue with that?

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:54 PM   #20267
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post

On a side note. I came into a closed road with the state patrol today on the DRZ and he said "So you're the one running around with a chainsaw in a backpack" and waved me on through.

So I have a new strategy for getting into closed areas. Orange high vis vest, chain saw in my backpack. Who can argue with that?

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:32 PM   #20268
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post
Has anyone heard from Marshall lately? Did he and his llamas survive the storm OK?

BD, hope your chickens didn't fly the coop, so to speak. Are you going to go to Tellico to ride tomorrow for the day?

Sure hope Debandi and his posse are ok over there in bama.

SR
Got in touch with Marshall / SanMar.......All is well.

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #20269
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
My neighbor here outside Helen also has a lake house on Burton. He escaped any damage to the house, just a few trees down. Around the bend from him however in another cove there is a house that was lifted and placed in the lake...

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 08:10 PM   #20270
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,543
Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
Got in touch with Marshall / SanMar.......All is well.
Great to hear!!!!
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:55 AM   #20271
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowbraid View Post
My neighbor here outside Helen also has a lake house on Burton. He escaped any damage to the house, just a few trees down. Around the bend from him however in another cove there is a house that was lifted and placed in the lake...

I found one of our customers boathouses 5 houses down with the boats still in it.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:45 AM   #20272
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Anyone know if there's any damage on Trey Mountain / Corbin Creek? Going to spend the day riding through TN and NC and I'm headed up to Hiawassee first....hope there's no trees in the way.

Already know Wildcat is closed...no fishing there today...

You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"

Old 04-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #20273
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 686
Quote:
Survived the night in Suches. Pretty darn scary. Four dogs and two people huddled in a small bathroom was a sight to behold. Especially since one of us was wearing a motorcycle helmet. Not sure about the rest of Suches, but my part of the world looks OK.

DD - Hope all is well over in Clayton. Thanks for the call! SR

Patty - I can picture this perfectly. Hope you took a picture. Glad you are OK.

BTW - my daughter, Morgan, is a student at The University of Alabama. She says it looks like a scene from War of the Worlds. They still have no water or power. Classes are now cancelled for the last week of the year. Several student lost their lives. A horrible disaster.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #20274
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Just ran into another neighbor of mine who has a son that was working out in a gym in a small town in Alabama...when the sirens started going off he moved everyone into the mens room where they huddled together. When the noise stopped and they got up he compared it to a movie...they opened the mens room door and the entire gym was gone, they were standing outside.

Hand of God right there...

Old 04-29-2011, 09:22 AM   #20275
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,669
OK. I am only posting this pic because I love you guys. Plus I will admit it is hilarious! I sure hope I don't regret this....... SR

Name:  stormnight.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  74.9 KB
Old 04-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #20276
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Awesome picture! And with these guys you'll regret it but it'll be worth it.

Trey mountain road is a mess on the other side of the AT parking area. I'll psot some pictures when I get back to the house. Ending a great day of riding with some Mama G's...food shots to follow.

Old 04-29-2011, 03:48 PM   #20277
hardwaregrrl
You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,701
Quote:
OK. I am only posting this pic because I love you guys. Plus I will admit it is hilarious! I sure hope I don't regret this....... SR
Peggy looks quite frightened, did neezie eat anything crazy, like a bottle of shampoo?
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #20278
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Disclaimers: There's not enough here to validate a ride report, and the pictures are all taken with my crappy cell phone camera. I really need to get a tank bag to carry my good camera.

Was going to meet my Dad in Franklin for lunch today, it turned into dinner in Clayton. In between I wanted to survey some of the storm damage.

Left the house and went up through Helen to catch the beginning of Tray Mountain Road, while fueling up in Helen there were a number of BMW bikes that went by, I think there's a BMW rally in Hiawassee this weekend. Hit Tray Mountain and had no problems on the way up other than a dually Chevy pulling a full size trailer...he was nice enough to realize I was behind him and pulled over for me to go around. Shortly after this I started to see some storm damage. Nothing major, just older trees or the tops of trees off the side of the road, looks like the forestry service had
already been working on cutting things out of the way.

I continued up the mountain and almost got run over by a forestry service worker in a Dodge truck. Guy was flying low with no reguard to what might be around the next corner. I happened to be around this particular corner and had to dive to the right to avoid him while trying not to end up going down the side of the mountain. Slow down!

Almost to the AT parking area I ran into two other inmates (sorry, didn't get your names) who were from Alabama. We chatted for a bit about the condition of the road ahead (they had come from Hiawassee up Corbin Creek and said it was clear) and the storm damage back in Alabama. They said they had come over in an attempt to get lost...but hadn't yet. If you guys are reading this, I hope you managed to lose your way.

Hit the AT parking area and decided to go on down Tray Mountain further rather than take Corbin Creek. I didn't get far before I found that this wouldn't be possible.

It'll take the forestry service a little while to cut through all this

Only good thing about this storm damage is the scenic overlooks it's created by clearing away the tops of trees.

Stopped for a beauty shot.

I doubled back to the parking area and turned down Corbin Creek. Met several more forestry service employees, all driving normal speeds, and several folks preparing to camp for the weekend. Avoided a couple of horses and made it down into Hiawassee. From here I headed for NC and found a piece of property I thought might work great to put a MX track up for my son to practice on:

I called the number and discovered that the lady who owns this 8.5 acres of field wants $485,000! I think she can keep it.

Continued on into NC and made note on my GPS of several closed forestry service roads I'd like to investigate...if they ever open them.

From there it's your standard twistys and mountains.

Ended up meeting Dad at Mama G's in Clayton for some baked ziti.

A good meal down I hit up 441, dropping off onto Old 441 whenever possible and headed for home. Grabbed George Moss Rd on the way home for a nice splash of water in a crossing to wash the bike (true KLR style) and called it a day.

Saw some storm damage in Mountain City, but it appears the Lake Burton area got it the worst (outside Alabama).

Old 04-29-2011, 06:34 PM   #20279
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowbraid View Post
Saw some storm damage in Mountain City, but it appears the Lake Burton area got it the worst (outside Alabama).

Old 04-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #20280
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Clay, we rode by your house late this evening(car). I've never seen
So many power company trucks!
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote