ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #23581
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,814
This Saturday, 3/31, barring an all day rain forecast, I'm planning to go up to Franklin, NC, pick up Wayah Rd, try to find my way to Wayah Bald which is somewhere I've never been. After that, maybe Otter Creek Rd., over to 28 and from there depending on time, either back to Franklin and home, or across the Cherohayla to Tellico Plains and back south either via 68 or 30/315.

Obviously some dirt roads involved in that, but if anyone's interested, let me know.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:00 PM   #23582
Cornbread82
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Thanks for the input Bluelightning, I will take a look that the rides.
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:11 PM   #23583
tagalong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornbread82 View Post
Hey all you DOG's looking for some help on some trails to ride in my area. Just moved from Al. to Thomaston Ga. (about 40 miles east of Lagrange. If any of you know some trails in the area that would be a great help. If you could just send me a PM so I will not miss a post.

Thanks again guys.
Craftycoder, who is an inmate and a regular here on the DOGs thread, has a site called dualsportmaps.com. There are 2 routes that run through that area on his site, they may be part of the same stuff that BlueLightning posted, but worth a look.
tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #23584
brownie2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Did the Jeep get out?
We took the Tate City tour Sunday afternoon. Saw a couple of DS bikes at McD's in Hiawassee as we left out. We saw lots of bike tracks on Charlies Crk and Popcorn. We stopped to eat a bite at Charlies Crk and a red KLR and a red Triumph(?) passed by headed west. They must not've been friendly types or maybe they thought they heard banjo music when they saw me.
Honked as we went by DD's. I gotta see that new bike when I have more time.
brownie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #23585
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
This Saturday, 3/31, barring an all day rain forecast, I'm planning to go up to Franklin, NC, pick up Wayah Rd, try to find my way to Wayah Bald which is somewhere I've never been. After that, maybe Otter Creek Rd., over to 28 and from there depending on time, either back to Franklin and home, or across the Cherohayla to Tellico Plains and back south either via 68 or 30/315.

Obviously some dirt roads involved in that, but if anyone's interested, let me know.
Mitch, Last year at the beav' we took in Wayah Bald and some other stuff up that way. Ya might want to try that as a day trip from Hangin Dog.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #23586
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,055
The wife and I are probably riding down to the Everglades for a week of camping. Anyone want to come along? She hasn't decided whether or not we'll do the trip two up or if she will take her DR350 as the Ascot needs rejetting after pipes and getting rid of the airbox. I really want her to ride the DR so we can explore some of the dirt roads down there.

We camped at Big Pine and Flamingo the last time we were down there. It looks like there is some decent scenery over on the west side too, has anyone stayed at that state park near Picayunne Strand State Forest? Anyone have any suggestions or ideas of some good stuff in that area???

Thinking about camping a night or two at Appalachicola on the way down too.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 03:54 AM   #23587
Cornbread82
Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer: 379
Thanks Tagalong.
Cornbread82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #23588
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Got passed by my GPS...

... had to chase it down .

Headed to work, I pulled out onto 441 this morning and just as I hit 70, my Zumo went fluttering by my head (mount was fine... pilot error, I reckon). I grabbed handfuls of brake and hit the side, only to watch the GPS come whizzing by me like a hockey puck. So I took off again, caught up to it, hit the side again, waved my arms at the oncoming traffic and ran it down on foot as it skidded almost to a stop--still maintaining its lane perfectly. I did a little endzone knee dance for the cars and trucks now passing me by at 30 mph. No real harm done--luckily it skidded butter-side-up.

Moral of the story; no matter how asleep you are, listen for that little clicking sound.
Pete
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #23589
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Speaking of GPS, check this out. When I had my little low-side get off followed by the bike turning a couple of flips in mid-air and crashing down upside down hard on the asphalt (thankfully without my riding buddy, Tyler, on board) the Zumo went spattering down the road with all my other various parts and pieces from the top of the bike.

I would have thought it was toast, but when I got back to the cabin and fired it up later that evening it picked back up right where I crashed.

It still shows its battle scars as seen in this pic. It broke the RAM mount when it hit and destroyed the Garmin cradle too.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #23590
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
On the GPS theme, I move my Zumo 550 from bike to bike. My DRZ has a locking Touratech anti-vibe mount, but I have grown lazy and rarely get out the key to lock it. Last week I jumped over a mud hole, and when I landed the GPS shot up about fifteen feet into the air. I think the rubber in the anti-vibe mount launched it like a slingshot. It landed in the dirt and worked fine.

I have, however, scratched the protective coating on the screen over the years, so I recently ordered on eBay a replacement screen from Hong Kong for $19.00 which I will install myself. We'll see how that goes when it gets here.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:37 AM   #23591
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Hi-Ho, Hi-Ho....

I've been using a GPS in my truck for 10 years for work, but just mounted one on the bike for the first time 4-5 months ago. I gotta say I'm really having a blast with it. I work on horse hooves at about 100 farms scattered around the countryside in Rabun, Habersham, White, Banks, Stevens and Franklin counties. Each farm is on a 4-6 week schedule, so I hit 4-6 barns a day. I already had my GPS set for shortest distance and to avoid highways; but more recently I specifically set it to avoid new 441, new 17, 365 and a few other big roads. Wow. I've found more dirt roads and epic twisty roads in the past 2 weeks than I can believe. Just wouldn't go to work without one, now.
p
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 11:46 AM   #23592
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
I have, however, scratched the protective coating on the screen over the years, so I recently ordered on eBay a replacement screen from Hong Kong for $19.00 which I will install myself. We'll see how that goes when it gets here.
Go to Wal-Mart to the electronics section (or your store of choice) and pick up a pack of that clear protective film stuff. The touch screen still works good through it and it does a good job of protecting from scratches. I've got it on mine and also on my camera screen.
Old 03-28-2012, 11:58 AM   #23593
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,942
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownie2 View Post
We saw lots of bike tracks on Charlies Crk and Popcorn. We stopped to eat a bite at Charlies Crk and a red KLR and a red Triumph(?) passed by headed west. They must not've been friendly types or maybe they thought they heard banjo music when they saw me.
We weren't trying to be unfriendly, just in a hurry to get back on the pavement before those dark clouds let loose. I didn't relish the idea of hustling a 450+lb bike on that trail in the rain. That KLR pilot is a hare scramble racer who rides like Crane, so if I let him get outta sight I wouldn't have seen him again. Next time we'll stop and say hi.

edit: That was you at 4:50 in the video.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad

fullmonte screwed with this post 03-28-2012 at 03:11 PM
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM   #23594
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,305
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post

Wayah Bald is very nice. Any time I'm in the area, I take a trip up. FS Rd. 711 pretty cool to, it's an abandoned paved service road. You might want to check out Rainbow Springs Rd. as well.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #23595
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Wayah Bald is very nice. Any time I'm in the area, I take a trip up. FS Rd. 711 pretty cool to, it's an abandoned paved service road. You might want to check out Rainbow Springs Rd. as well.

FS RD 711 is a pretty sweet ride.....seems like a huge waste of money (imagine that, our gov't wasting money).

In that same area we took Otter Creek Rd to Tellico Rd (pretty sweet thru there too) , then 28 back up into the Fontana area.

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is online now   Reply With Quote