ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #25261
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
whewww...that's great news, I've been holding my breath since reading about it.
+1 to that.
Old 10-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #25262
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallowbraid View Post
My son was riding at Aonia Pass MX park and crashed. He was air lifted to the trauma center in Augusta. Prayers please.
I just got back in from a run up to Rabun County camping off the Tenere and saw this. Prayers going up for your son. I saw where the Doc says he's going to be okay, but it sounds like he took quite a lick. Them younguns are made of rubber. I hope he makes a full recovery with none of the little nagging "issues" that resurface when he gets our age.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM   #25263
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Pete thanks for giving the update. We had to step out briefly for the nurse shift change and we came back in they let us know that Tristan had stripped naked and removed all the monitors. I told him all the cute nurses had gone home and to wait til morning before he tried to put on a show.

He is still in ICU, but vitals and cognitive recognition are better. He had some blood pressure oddities earlier, and he still doesn't know what day / month / year it is. His answer to "Who is president?" Has gone from Shia LeBouf earlier to Obama now. Politically I'm not sure how I feel about that.

They are going to do another CT scan in the morning to check the bleeding in the brain but the neurosurgeon says it's minimal and should be ok. They are concerned now about soft tissue damage they can't see on Xrays and such. They have a range of movement tests for in the morning to check ligaments and muscles.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

Pete I don't think the forks on that YZ will ever be the same, and the Shoei helmet and Leatt brace are toast.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:16 PM   #25264
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Pete thanks for giving the update. We had to step out briefly for the nurse shift change and we came back in they let us know that Tristan had stripped naked and removed all the monitors. I told him all the cute nurses had gone home and to wait til morning before he tried to put on a show.

He is still in ICU, but vitals and cognitive recognition are better. He had some blood pressure oddities earlier, and he still doesn't know what day / month / year it is. His answer to "Who is president?" Has gone from Shia LeBouf earlier to Obama now. Politically I'm not sure how I feel about that.

They are going to do another CT scan in the morning to check the bleeding in the brain but the neurosurgeon says it's minimal and should be ok. They are concerned now about soft tissue damage they can't see on Xrays and such. They have a range of movement tests for in the morning to check ligaments and muscles.

Thanks for all the well wishes and prayers.

Pete I don't think the forks on that YZ will ever be the same, and the Shoei helmet and Leatt brace are toast.
Micheal, I know an ICU's not where you ever want to spend a Sunday evening, but that sounds like great news. We'll pray your son continues to make a speedy recovery.

Sounds like the Shoei and Leatt did their jobs!
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:49 PM   #25265
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
My son was riding at Aonia Pass MX park and crashed. He was air lifted to the trauma center in Augusta. Prayers please.
Just heard about this from a member of our church at small group tonight. Didn't know it was your son at the time, but the thought flashed through my mind that your son was racing. I'm so sorry to hear that it was your son,

We lifted him (and you) in prayer tonight and I'll continue to pray for him.

James <><

1996 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (for sale) 1987 Yamaha TT600 (for sale)
GaThumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:03 PM   #25266
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
Quote:
Pete I don't think the forks on that YZ will ever be the same
Oh no, don't tell me that fork seal is blown again.
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #25267
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Nevermind the tag-o-rama game, I have a real scavenger hunt challenge for you guys.

I don't use my Spot locator device often, so I completely forgot it was on my tailbag this weekend. I apparently lost it on the trail up near Helen. It is lying on the forest road at 34.78306-83.66916.

This is up the backside of Tray Mountain Road....before you get to the junction up there with Corbin Creek, etc. Pretty sure it's before the nasty rocky, rutty section.

Anybody want to go fetch it for a cash reward?

I probably can't get back up there until next weekend...no telling if I will ever see that thing again.

Any scavengers who decide to keep it best not turn it on....
I may be able to run up there tomorrow. According to Google Maps it's only 1.7 miles up Tray from Chimney Mountain Rd. Maybe it won't be too hard to find!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:35 AM   #25268
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,245
I lost my SPOT on a FS road near the Ranger Camp just past Wissenhunt. It was fall and the trail was a rarely used trail with a nice layer of leaves, nice orange leaves. Spent hours looking for it and was almost ready to give up, go home and check the location cordinates when finally I found it when I ran over it fliping it back up on top of the leaf litter. Poor thing is tough though, it's fell out of my tank bag and hit the road at roughly 70mph in Baja, it's fell off the rear of the bike on that previously mentioned trail and it's been strapped to the back of the XR for at least a year in the rain, dust and sun. It's more than a bit scuffed up but atteries has all it's needed. Good 100$ spent I reckon.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:45 AM   #25269
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Did anyone get to Highland Park for the harescramble yesterday? I'm really curious how it turned out but just couldn't make it up there.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:00 AM   #25270
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,656
Prayers sent out from the Tuna clan, hope his recovery is a quick one.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #25271
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I lost my SPOT ....,Spent hours looking for it and was almost ready to give up, go home and check the location cordinates when finally I found it when I ran over it fliping it back up on top of the leaf litter
Yeah,I figure it will be hard to find. Just thought somebody might need an excuse to ride...me included! Y'all holler if you see it, otherwise ima going up on Saturday to take a look...
Old 10-08-2012, 08:21 AM   #25272
Rainmaster
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 398
Quote:
Sending good thoughts your way Michael. I'm in town for a couple weeks just let me know if you need any help....

Rainmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:34 AM   #25273
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Another CT scan this morning. One of the bleeds in his brain has increased slighty in size. They still aren't majorly concerned by it but will be keeping him for at least one more day if not two. Everything is hinging on a visit from the.neirosurgeions a little later.

You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"

Old 10-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #25274
GaThumper
Road Less Traveled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Yeah,I figure it will be hard to find. Just thought somebody might need an excuse to ride...me included! Y'all holler if you see it, otherwise ima going up on Saturday to take a look...

Did you notice the location change?

Mission accomplished. Package has been secured!

Looks a little like a rock! My GPS put me right on it though. Pretty cool!

Took off at lunch and scooted up Tray on my way to Rabun Gap. Not all fun machines have 2 wheels!

Old 10-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #25275
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Earlier today the neurosurgeon let us know that the bruise and bleed on his brain are small enough that he will make a full recovery with no complications. He will be able to go back to school next week but no weight lifting, sports, or riding for several months. He is in a neck brace for at least 4 weeks, maybe longer. As long as he is allowed to recover properly he should be able to resume riding and racing in about 3 months time.

I had a chance to examine his helmet and it absolutely saved him. There are hairline spider web cracks across the left side of the face mask portion on the outer layer of the helmet. The cracks continue through the foam layer inside and you can see where the shock continued out the right side of the face mask. I intend to write a full thank you letter to Shoei when we get home.

He still doesn't remember the crash, only starting the bike and heading out on the track. From what I can piece together from the condition of the bike, his helmet and Leatt, and the bruising he has we think he might have overshot the jump, landed on the front end and when the forks compressed it caused him to grab a handful of front brake which instantly flipped him over the bars and face first into the ground at full speed.