ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2013, 09:09 AM   #26536
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Ditto, nice work guys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Flux - Looking forward to part III of Hell's Holler. Especially when part two ends with "Oh sh*% are you kidding!"
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #26537
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
Flux - Looking forward to part III of Hell's Holler. Especially when part two ends with "Oh sh*% are you kidding!"
Me too.
'11 WR250R
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:46 AM   #26538
GaM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Any beer hauled into Holly Flats will be ready to explode upon arrival.
Plus you have to duck it every time a ranger rides through. Monte has been known to pass a ranger truck and roost him. Private campground would probably be better.
GaM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:52 AM   #26539
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,756
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Plus you have to duck it every time a ranger rides through. Monte has been known to pass a ranger truck and roost him. Private campground would probably be better.
Didn't think about that. Good point.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #26540
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaM View Post
Oh the memories.That was his personal vehicle. How was I supposed to know it was a ranger? I think Troutrider is still mad at me for doing that. Good thing he went to high school with that ranger.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:56 AM   #26541
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor View Post
I need to find somewhere in Tellico Plains we can all stay without disturbing ordinary citizen campers.

The route is very ambitious. Generally, it takes us from wherever we start (thinking Acme would be a good place... plenty of parking... and I'm sure we could talk Andrew into some coffee and bagels or something) up through Dawsonville, into Suches, past the fish hatchery, across to Cherrylog, into the Cohuttas (where you can choose to run Hells Hollow or keep on regular forest roads), into TN, across 68 via McFarland and Joe Brown (where Trails 81 and 82 are options) and into Tellico Plains. That is all for Day One. We have to get an early start to ride the whole thing. Last time Jody from Kawasaki of Dothan and his friend were the ONLY ones to run the entire route. I do not know the overall mileage offhand.

The way back shoots down through Oswald Dome and into the Cohuttas. Its an easier day with a bit more pavement at times.

The route is good for any bike that can go offroad. GS, 950, 450, whatever. I'll have to get an idea of what your fuel range should be able to do but I'd guess 100 miles. I'd guess that realistically its about 70% forest roads with some gnarly stuff thrown in for good measure. There are ways around the gnarly. The biggest stretch of street would be between Acme and Dawsonville, but at least its fun street, and I can bypass most of the traffic between here and there. I might even look into routing through Dawson Forest although I need to think that one through a bit.

There are jumping off points throughout the route where you can access highways, 68, 60, 64, and 441 pretty easily if you find you need to make up time.
I like it.
Maybe we could use this for navigation: http://www.rallynavigator.com/ and have our own little version of Dakar....at 1/4 the speeds
Lemme know if you need any planning assistance.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #26542
ABuck99

Oddometer: 464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
I like it.
Maybe we could use this for navigation: http://www.rallynavigator.com/ and have our own little version of Dakar....at 1/4 the speeds
Lemme know if you need any planning assistance.
Great Idea-r!
Old 01-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #26543
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Thanks for the feedback and tips, y'all.

Dan, that rally navigator is very cool. Playing with it right now. Of course, rally book holders are a bit spendy!

Part Three of Hells Hollow is coming up but its nothing special, really. I kinda want to go back there this Sunday. Is that sadistic?
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:39 PM   #26544
Mossy_Crk
Fallen over

Oddometer: 628
I have large enough bags to carry a small grocery store. I might be inclined to cook again. Maybe something more ambitious...hmmm
Mossy_Crk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:53 PM   #26545
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy_Crk View Post
I have large enough bags to carry a small grocery store. I might be inclined to cook again. Maybe something more ambitious...hmmm

Just don't go wine shopping with those bags. Bad things happen, lol.

flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #26546
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

Chatted with this guy briefly on Old Bucktown road last Sunday on his shiny new Multistrada. Giving the Ducati marketing brochures a true test! Good on you man. Anybody here??

Old 01-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #26547
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon

How 'bout these Cats? Met them as we came off Duncan Ridge and they were heading towards 180...

Old 01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #26548
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,254
Just curious Flux, should I mount some knobbies for this route, or are my 80/20 good?
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #26549
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Just curious Flux, should I mount some knobbies for this route, or are my 80/20 good?

I guess more than anything, that will depend on how wet it is. If it's dry, a Tourance or something along that lines will be fine. If you're cheap, spoon some Kendas on.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 06:07 PM   #26550
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,735
I guess it depends on when you want to go, but what about Hunts Motorcycle Lodge. http://www.huntslodge.com/ as a place to stay? We stayed there when we did the TAT last year and seemed pretty nice. Their website says they don't open till March 15th, but if its a big enough group to make it worth their while, maybe they'd open on a a weekend to host us.

BTW, we can't go to Tellico and not include Witt Rd, right?
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote