ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 05:30 AM   #27031
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
We picked up a CRF250L for my wife about 2 weeks ago. It's a pretty nice bike and hopefully will work well for her. My WR250R fits me way better since I'm tall, but that Honda motor is so smooth and has better pull down low than the WRR.
Let us know how it does on the road. I'd like to do a longer trip w/my son before he's out of school and gone and this seems like the ticket.

So anyone riding this weekend? I'm looking to either head up for a start in Dawsonville or over toward Ellijay, and get as much dirt in as I can in a day.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 06:59 AM   #27032
ABuck99

Oddometer: 439
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Let us know how it does on the road. I'd like to do a longer trip w/my son before he's out of school and gone and this seems like the ticket.

So anyone riding this weekend? I'm looking to either head up for a start in Dawsonville or over toward Ellijay, and get as much dirt in as I can in a day.

Jeff
I am shooting for a Sunday ride- you?
Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #27033
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB View Post
Good deal Britt, hope you have as much fun on it as I've had on mine.
Thanks, I think I am:

She's a "BadGirl" for sure:

Not quite 1100 mile trip, I got'er home resting till I get my work caught up.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #27034
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABuck99 View Post
I am shooting for a Sunday ride- you?
That works. Let's do it! I'll be heading North from Decatur so I'm flexible on meeting spot. I'll call to work out the details.

Separate topic: Nitro that thing is awesome. I assume that's the one that was listed here? I'll be in Dallas next week and was sorely tempted by it. What a great deal for what I think is the perfect D/S bike.

Jeff
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 09:04 AM   #27035
Darknessprevails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by loosesprocket View Post
You can get a FS Map at a Chattahoochee Forest Service Office, make sure it is one with the FS Roads marked on it. You can find your way from Ellijay to Doublehead Gap Rd and go up FS 42 or come in from the South Side around Amicalola State Park.

Thanks for the info !! i def will need to pick me up map.

on a sad note there was a bad motorcycle wreck on my side of town in the acworth woodstock area. it was right infront of the walmart on bellsferry. i called all my rideing buds there are safe. no idea on his condition or his ID. hope all is well out there
Old 03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #27036
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,313
Longshot, but anyone on the south side of Atlanta have a 48T rear sprocket for a current KTM I can buy? Otherwise, it's a run from PTC up to Alpharetta tomorrow to get one

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #27037
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
Anybody interested in riding the dirt between Suches, Helen, and Clayton tomorrow? Should be arriving in Suches around 11am. Or, I would like to have somebody local show me the dirt roads in the Dawson Forest area.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:42 PM   #27038
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,862
Last I was at Dawson Forest {just last week}, most of the roads were closed. Mill Creek, the dirt road at the end of the main drag, Azalea, Powerline ect>. Not much to see really but if you want, shoot me a call {678-739-8059} around 10AM and I'll meet you at the parking area at 11am.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:54 PM   #27039
coletrain
All aboard!

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
Last I was at Dawson Forest {just last week}, most of the roads were closed. Mill Creek, the dirt road at the end of the main drag, Azalea, Powerline ect>. Not much to see really but if you want, shoot me a call {678-739-8059} around 10AM and I'll meet you at the parking area at 11am.
Pm me if yall do this. I'll be out and about tomorrow. Thinking of places farther north though.

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #27040
nerdtastic_89
awkward hippy

Oddometer: 15
Noobville

Hey guys! Long time lurker and new rider here out of Athens. My name is Shay. Just picked up my first bike a 1982 honda nighthawk 450. I've been wanting to ride for years (23 now) so I'm really excited to be on my bike as much as I can. Having fun and learning alot of new things. Ex- hills are the devil. ps- couldn't find the introduction thread anywhere so.... hi
nerdtastic_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #27041
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by coletrain View Post
Pm me if yall do this. I'll be out and about tomorrow. Thinking of places farther north though.
PM sent. Since Jud said Dawson Forest is closed, I think we're gonna do Flatlands, Duncan Ridge, Helton Creek Falls, Tray Mtn, etc.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:43 AM   #27042
guitarhack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by nerdtastic_89 View Post
Hey guys! Long time lurker and new rider here out of Athens. My name is Shay. Just picked up my first bike a 1982 honda nighthawk 450. I've been wanting to ride for years (23 now) so I'm really excited to be on my bike as much as I can. Having fun and learning alot of new things. Ex- hills are the devil. ps- couldn't find the introduction thread anywhere so.... hi
Welcome, Shay. Have fun with your bike. ...just stay out of traffic for a while. If you haven't already, I recommend taking the MSF class - it will start you off on the right foot.

Enough lecturing... Welcome to the asylum.
guitarhack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #27043
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
Welcome, Shay ....
+1

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #27044
Jason Steelrod
Scooter Nerd

Oddometer: 16
Athens Rider

Hi my name is Jason I am out of Athens, I have a 1100GS and am getting back into the off-road thing again, and am interested in meeting people interested in the same. How might I join in the fun?
Thanks.
1970 Suzuki AC50 (my actual first bike)
2001 BMW K1200LTC (Sold)
1999 BMW R1100GS
Jason Steelrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 01:16 PM   #27045
nerdtastic_89
awkward hippy

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarhack View Post
Welcome, Shay. Have fun with your bike. ...just stay out of traffic for a while. If you haven't already, I recommend taking the MSF class - it will start you off on the right foot.

Enough lecturing... Welcome to the asylum.
Thanks for the welcome guys! I already took my MSF class in Feburary. I've been practicing in my neighborhood for a few days. I initially had to drive the bike about 17 miles home on highway and in heavy traffic. I may or may not have stalled at a red light or two. lol I drove to work for first time these past two days ( 6 mile round trip not too far). It was good practice. I've learned a few things fairly quickly. 1- people in my city are horrible unobservant drivers, and I need to get my horn fixed. 2- stop and go traffic/redlights SUCK! 3- stalling with line of cars behind you sucks. 4- count your miles so don't run out of gas!

I'm can feel myself get more comfortable with my bike and shifting and friction zone. Its nice.