ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2013, 03:54 AM   #27721
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
Glad you're getting better. Are you having to take physical therapy? I but you're jonesing for some mental therapy.
I'm off the pain meds and in a boot, but the doc says no weight on the foot untill after the fourth.

I did get out driving the truck yesterday, then made on to the pontoon with a walker. If I can get the boat out on the lake, it'll help with the mental stress I've been having, stuck here in the house.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:02 AM   #27722
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Tuna View Post
Looks like It will be late August if everything goes as planned.
Man that musta been a nasty break....
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 04:14 AM   #27723
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
Man that musta been a nasty break....
Yeah, It was bad. I forgot to ask for the pics of the hardware last visit, it looks like an erector set down there. Ill try and get some pics next visit.

The bone stimulator seems to be working great, the ankle feels strong and seems to be healing well. Thanks for the advice.

Under construction
Old 06-21-2013, 04:24 AM   #27724
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

I can't decide if having my MX boots on would have helped or hurt, had I been wearing them the twist would have most likely taken out my knee. I do know the useless passenger pegs on the DR played a part, my boot toe ended up between the peg mount and the swing arm.

I should have been standing on the pegs and had myself in much better physical condition.

Under construction

Al Tuna screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 04:55 AM
Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #27725
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 447
Quote:
I can't decide if having my MX boots on would have helped or hurt, had I been wearing them the twist would have most likely taken out my knee. I do know the useless passenger pegs on the DR played a part, my boot toe ended up between the peg mount and the swing arm.

I should have been standing on the pegs and had myself in much better physical condition.
I was riding Moto Mountain and crashed back on March 1st. I followed my buddy down an unmarked service trail on the north side at the bottom of a revine near a stream. It had rained a bunch and the staff had dealt with the rain by adding dirt to the actual trails but we hit this...

My bike went sideways and in a flash my front end was swallowed by a log on the outside of the trail and the edge of the trail..

My left leg was sandwiched between the trail, then my leg, then the bike, and then the log!

The momentum of my body flopping over the bars had shattered my tibia and cracked my ankle. I really was thinking my knee was going to be gone to but I was surprised it was fine. I had on full MX boots, Knee, and shin guards. The Doctor said that the break would have likely been a compound if I did not have my gear on. He also said that my ankle would have been worse as well.

I was riding on the street after about 3 months with my Doctors approval but still only one day a week and short rides only. I had a titanium rod and 4 screws. Fun.

Here is a video of the crash. It is at the end of the video..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUXoRidi_vE

Ohenry

ohenry screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 11:56 AM
ohenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:06 AM   #27726
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,820
^^^ Holy Crap !! ^^^

There's a problem with your video link.

mb90535im screwed with this post 06-21-2013 at 11:48 AM
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM   #27727
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
^^^ Holy Crap !! ^^^

There's a problem with your video link.
I fixed it. Thanks
Old 06-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #27728
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:

Hey Kirk will have to see who has more metal in their leg/foot. I know my metal's wholesale cost was only $10K The reason I know this is that I got stuck paying 15% of this.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:26 PM   #27729
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
I was riding Moto Mountain and crashed back on March 1st. I followed my buddy down an unmarked service trail on the north side at the bottom of a revine near a stream. It had rained a bunch and the staff had dealt with the rain by adding dirt to the actual trails but we hit this...

My bike went sideways and in a flash my front end was swallowed by a log on the outside of the trail and the edge of the trail..

My left leg was sandwiched between the trail, then my leg, then the bike, and then the log!

The momentum of my body flopping over the bars had shattered my tibia and cracked my ankle. I really was thinking my knee was going to be gone to but I was surprised it was fine. I had on full MX boots, Knee, and shin guards. The Doctor said that the break would have likely been a compound if I did not have my gear on. He also said that my ankle would have been worse as well.

I was riding on the street after about 3 months with my Doctors approval but still only one day a week and short rides only. I had a titanium rod and 4 screws. Fun.

Ohenry
Wow that sucks. I'm sorry that happen to you! The worse part it look like you both were riding with caution, because of those wet trails!
Old 06-21-2013, 01:52 PM   #27730
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post

Ohenry
Wow! Glad you're doing well enough to get back on the bike this soon. Thanks for posting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
Hey Kirk will have to see who has more metal in their leg/foot. I know my metal's wholesale cost was only $10K The reason I know this is that I got stuck paying 15% of this.
Ha! The bills are starting to seep in, I just received one from Wellstar (Two day stay after a blood clot in my lung, post surgery) 18K

I'm sure the grand total and my out of pocket is gonna be a doozy... There goes my new Goldwing.

Under construction
Old 06-21-2013, 04:57 PM   #27731
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Wow! Glad you're doing well enough to get back on the bike this soon. Thanks for posting

Ha! The bills are starting to seep in, I just received one from Wellstar (Two day stay after a blood clot in my lung, post surgery) 18K

I'm sure the grand total and my out of pocket is gonna be a doozy... There goes my new Goldwing.

Thanks Ya'll

My wife had to give me shots for anti blood clotting 23 days in a row! Ouch!

My doctor had me on a recumbent exercise machines for 20 minutes a day with 0 resistance 3 times a week for a month and then he had me crank it up. The first time I could barley bend my knee but now I can go for 30 minutes at 12 intensity and I go 7.5 in distance. I still can't lift my body with my left foot alone but I will get there. Everything in small steps and you will be back!

Ohenry
Old 06-21-2013, 05:09 PM   #27732
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
I'm off the pain meds and in a boot, but the doc says no weight on the foot untill after the fourth.

I did get out driving the truck yesterday, then made on to the pontoon with a walker. If I can get the boat out on the lake, it'll help with the mental stress I've been having, stuck here in the house.
I remember when I was first able to drive I was in a much better place for sure!

Ohenry
Old 06-22-2013, 12:43 PM   #27733
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 359
Wicked

Riding the Cohutta tomorrow (Sunday) with a few friends. First time up there. Searched the forum and have a general idea where to hit. If anyone has a route they like I'd appreciate the input.

Even more so, if anyone's up to it we plan on being up there around 9 am and riding all day. Prob meeting at the huddle house hwy 411 in chats worth ga.
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 01:48 PM   #27734
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,439
First Round

Cleaning out plenty of my Dad's riding stuff.
Unfortunately he was not my size and i'm left with a ton of stuff that will just collect dust.

First dibs here as I get them in the Flea Market.

Getting a Thread together, but lot's more to come.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=897870

Tukata screwed with this post 06-22-2013 at 02:08 PM
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 05:24 PM   #27735
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Dirt Roads Only, well or trails

I need some help getting from the Russel Lake (Corneilia/Toccoa) area woods to something north of there. I would like to find a best route to the most woods using the most offroad. Not asking for much, right? I do not have a GPS. Just thinking there may be someone the knows the area. Thanks.