ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2013, 08:13 PM   #27736
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
I need some help getting from the Russel Lake (Corneilia/Toccoa) area woods to something north of there. I would like to find a best route to the most woods using the most offroad. Not asking for much, right? I do not have a GPS. Just thinking there may be someone the knows the area. Thanks.
Well Toccoa just sucks, only one way out. From Clarkesville, you can hit 197 to Shoal Creek to New Liberty to LowGap to Lake Rabin. That keeps you on a mix of gravel and bad asphalt with little traffic.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #27737
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 12,651
I hear banjos...

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:23 PM   #27738
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

There looks to be a fair amount of dirt south of 17 but I personally have a hard time heading south.....

Old 06-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #27739
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Back 40 is open if you want it.....

Just sayin.
We've decided on the Coosa Back country Trail. Although that might make us morons.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 04:39 AM   #27740
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
There looks to be a fair amount of dirt south of 17 but I personally have a hard time heading south.....
I just got started so I have been wandering around the FS roads in between Cornelia and Toccoa. There is some good stuff there, especially riding alone. But I really want to get north and hope I can learn the dirtiest way to get there. I appreciate the route Dirt Dabber, sounds as though that is where I should try to get to.
I am sure everyone has seen this but just in case here is a link I have been using for a google map previously marked with FS roads (I think).

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sou...994141&ie=UTF8

Thanks again, hope to be able to hook up with some of you soon.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:53 AM   #27741
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

That is a good resource to work with but you will run into a lot of gates using it.

Still it gives a good base for exploring.

Interestingly enough, one of my favorite roads is listed as a county road.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:12 AM   #27742
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
That is a good resource to work with but you will run into a lot of gates using it.

Still it gives a good base for exploring.

Interestingly enough, one of my favorite roads is listed as a county road.
This is the best I can come up with until I meet a "Trail Boss". The exploring part will be much better when the large tank gets here. Any group of riders start anywhere near here?
Old 06-23-2013, 06:21 AM   #27743
MrMac
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
Once you get up to Tallulah Gorge SP, you can hit mostly dirt w/ some back-roads pavement all the way to North Carolina! Get off of 441 at the Park.. Look for roads Camp Creek., Wolf Creek, & Pool Creek (with some paved connections in between), which will get you to Warwoman Rd. From there, Hale Ridge and an assortment of other FS roads will get you as far as Sky Valley..
Old 06-23-2013, 07:32 AM   #27744
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Once you get up to Tallulah Gorge SP, you can hit mostly dirt w/ some back-roads pavement all the way to North Carolina! Get off of 441 at the Park.. Look for roads Camp Creek., Wolf Creek, & Pool Creek (with some paved connections in between), which will get you to Warwoman Rd. From there, Hale Ridge and an assortment of other FS roads will get you as far as Sky Valley..
Thank you very much. Sounds like a good ride. Gas stations pretty esy to find in that area?

When is the next time the "Gang" has a meet up? Do you all have a get together once a year or something?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #27745
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Quote:
Thank you very much. Sounds like a good ride. Gas stations pretty esy to find in that area?

When is the next time the "Gang" has a meet up? Do you all have a get together once a year or something?
As is only available on the 441 corridor and in the towns along 76. I keep an aluminum fuel bottle or two as backup and plan my routes around it on the DRZ.

Best thing to do is follow along here looking for rides on the weekend. Someone is usually going. There are also several events throughout the year.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #27746
presidio94
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:

Hey Dave. Guess you made it back ok with all that bbq tucked in your jacket. Hopefully I will have my bike back this week from pro motion. Gonna head up to highland park on the 30th if you or anyone else is interested. My first time back on a bike in about 6 months, so just lookin to do some easy 3 diamond stuff. Maybe throw in a 4 or 5 diamond if I feel froggy later on.
2011 Gas Gas EC 300
presidio94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #27747
RememberTheFallen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by presidio94 View Post
Hey Dave. Guess you made it back ok with all that bbq tucked in your jacket. Hopefully I will have my bike back this week from pro motion. Gonna head up to highland park on the 30th if you or anyone else is interested. My first time back on a bike in about 6 months, so just lookin to do some easy 3 diamond stuff. Maybe throw in a 4 or 5 diamond if I feel froggy later on.
Not sure if you care or not but just be advised there will be a MX race that weekend. Trails are still open but the park is surely pretty busy. If just planning on riding the trails then I wouldn't worry about it an go anyway. If planning on riding the track then you will be out of luck.
RememberTheFallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 01:06 PM   #27748
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by presidio94 View Post
Good to hear your getting the bike. You can't beat Highland Park for some great trail. Don't be a wuss, hit those 4 & 5 diamond trails before lunch or I will have Glenn throw you out of the park while the employees point and laugh.
Thanks again for the great ADV deal, it made it home but only because I couldn't eat on the way.
Don't forget to let me know if I can help you out on any bike work. We can trade out for food. Should put that on the business card, "Will Repair for BBQ".
Old 06-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #27749
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMac View Post
Nice, I like the looks of that possible route. It will be so much easier and comfortable to explore after the big tank gets here. The stock tank has me limited to about 100 miles and I am on reserve. Thanks for this help on road picking.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #27750
presidio94
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberTheFallen View Post
Not sure if you care or not but just be advised there will be a MX race that weekend. Trails are still open but the park is surely pretty busy. If just planning on riding the trails then I wouldn't worry about it an go anyway. If planning on riding the track then you will be out of luck.
Thanks for the heads up. Suppose to be meeting a guy there who wants to buy some gear from me so hopefully it is still on and it won't be to crowded on the trails. Wouldn't mind watching alittle mx racing while I'm there too.
2011 Gas Gas EC 300
presidio94 is offline   Reply With Quote