ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2013, 09:15 AM   #28306
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,936
Damn that SR is a smooth talker....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:39 AM   #28307
DrLewall
The Human GPS

Oddometer: 32,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
DrLewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 10:50 AM   #28308
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Saw a fella getting harassed by the authorities around dusk on Hwy 20 Cherokee County last night. Looked like a Honda 650 or similar? anybody here? He was all geared up and looking responsible to me...
So is that a big issue? What type of shake down do they give? Insurance card, license and blood sample? Any tips?
Old 09-17-2013, 12:58 PM   #28309
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
So is that a big issue? What type of shake down do they give? Insurance card, license and blood sample? Any tips?
I had one pass by my Son and I at the end of my driveway, he almost crashed getting stopped at my neighbors driveway...pulled up in there and sat waiting for us to pull out...I saw him backing out in my rearview...so we went down over the hill and ducked into a side dirt road / hay field...got turned around

He flew by and we pulled out behind him...when he sees us in his rearview he touched the brakes just enough to hint he had seen us and was surprised....at the next crossroads he flips a hard right..slams on the brakes, reverse lights come on, now he is behind us coming fast...Just as we cross the Pickens Co. Line...I guess it dawned on him..."Shit they have TAGS"...

He stopped and turned around...foiled by the Law Abiding Citizens, riding what looked like Big Orange DirtBikes.
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 02:43 PM   #28310
Darknessprevails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroAcres View Post
I had one pass by my Son and I at the end of my driveway, he almost crashed getting stopped at my neighbors driveway...pulled up in there and sat waiting for us to pull out...I saw him backing out in my rearview...so we went down over the hill and ducked into a side dirt road / hay field...got turned around

He flew by and we pulled out behind him...when he sees us in his rearview he touched the brakes just enough to hint he had seen us and was surprised....at the next crossroads he flips a hard right..slams on the brakes, reverse lights come on, now he is behind us coming fast...Just as we cross the Pickens Co. Line...I guess it dawned on him..."Shit they have TAGS"...

He stopped and turned around...foiled by the Law Abiding Citizens, riding what looked like Big Orange DirtBikes.
i have been in this same set ups many times on my crf250l. at least a few times a month i will get the WTF does that guy think he is doing look and or stalked till they realize i have a tag. i really do enjoy getting them stired up only to realize i am legal

never had this problem on my daily commute threw redtop to work but anytime i go on a adventure somewhere i always find me a winner i have even had to show my papers once
Old 09-17-2013, 04:41 PM   #28311
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Old 09-17-2013, 06:06 PM   #28312
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider View Post

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:15 PM   #28313
tagalong
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 463
I never had any problem with LEOs on my old TE610 or KLX400, but I'm always getting turned around on and followed and even pulled over a few times, on (of all things) my KLR.
tagalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:25 PM   #28314
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagalong View Post
I never had any problem with LEOs on my old TE610 or KLX400, but I'm always getting turned around on and followed and even pulled over a few times, on (of all things) my KLR.
They wanted you to return the milk crate to wherever you stole it from.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 07:29 PM   #28315
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
They wanted you to return the milk crate to wherever you stole it from.

That's Funny right there
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:07 PM   #28316
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
I finally got another real dual sport. The 300xcw just isn't much fun on the pavement for more than 50 yards. I swapped a couple of items for this powerhouse last weekend.

I look forward to getting back out on some good FS roads.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:24 PM   #28317
mikem9
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
I finally got another real dual sport. The 300xcw just isn't much fun on the pavement for more than 50 yards. I swapped a couple of items for this powerhouse last weekend.

I look forward to getting back out on some good FS roads.
We had one of those in our family for a couple of years. I liked it much better on the street than my EXC 450 I had at the time. The bike was surprisingly smooth at 65 - 70 mph. And, even though it's suspension was limited, it could go anywere off road. We called it the "goat".
mikem9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 08:58 PM   #28318
kewlbyme
Occasional Partaker

Oddometer: 228
I currently have 2 xt225's.

This is my 2001. Better than new. (Thanks anutt!)

Here is my 2003. Pretty much had to save this one.

They are awesome little bikes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
2002 KLR 703.5 - Sold
1999 Valkyrie IS - Sold
kewlbyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 03:09 AM   #28319
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem9 View Post
We had one of those in our family for a couple of years. I liked it much better on the street than my EXC 450 I had at the time. The bike was surprisingly smooth at 65 - 70 mph. And, even though it's suspension was limited, it could go anywere off road. We called it the "goat".
Now I've got an interesting decision to make. A guy contacted me last night who wants to trade even a 2007 klx250 with less than 2000 miles. He bought it for his son, but its apparently way too tall for him. I haven't even ridden the XT yet as I went straight into the clean-up/rejetting process.

I know the KLX is probably worth a little more, but there's something very appealing about the weight and simplicity of the XT. Plus I'm not exactly tall myself. I'm leaning toward just keeping the yamaha. Anyone have any thoughts?
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #28320
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,948
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
Now I've got an interesting decision to make. A guy contacted me last night who wants to trade even a 2007 klx250 with less than 2000 miles. He bought it for his son, but its apparently way too tall for him. I haven't even ridden the XT yet as I went straight into the clean-up/rejetting process.

I know the KLX is probably worth a little more, but there's something very appealing about the weight and simplicity of the XT. Plus I'm not exactly tall myself. I'm leaning toward just keeping the yamaha. Anyone have any thoughts?
The KLX is definitely a little more powerful than the XT so has better top end and better suspension too, hence why its a bit taller. It's got disc brakes on both ends and is water cooled too. Downside is its stock tank is tiny (1.9gals) so its range is way less than a stock XT. I think the 06-07 KLX's were a little taller too. When ever they redesigned them, they lost a little suspension travel. Generally speaking, the KLX should be worth more than the XT, but I guess it just depends on what you are looking for.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here

BlueLghtning screwed with this post 09-18-2013 at 12:56 PM
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote