ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #28411
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,861
Many privately funded parks forced to close

It gets even worse. Apparently there are NF parks out there that are privately ran and funded and they actually "pay" a rental fee into the treasury and even these parks and their "private" workers were forced to shut down by the administration. Isn't that just a pile of crap.

So this was the first one that came to light in VA
- http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/obama-ends-park/

Quote:
The National Park Service has ordered the closure of a Virginia park that sits on federal land, even though the government provides no resources for its maintenance or operation.

The Claude Moore Colonial Farm announced on Wednesday that NPS has ordered it to suspend operations until Congress agrees to a deal to fund the federal government.

According to Anna Eberly, managing director of the farm, NPS sent law enforcement agents to the park on Tuesday evening to remove staff and volunteers from the property.

“You do have to wonder about the wisdom of an organization that would use staff they don’t have the money to pay to evict visitors from a park site that operates without costing them any money,” she said.

The park withstood prior government shutdowns, noting in a news release that the farm will be closed to the public for the first time in 40 years.

“In previous budget dramas, the Farm has always been exempted since the NPS provides no staff or resources to operate the Farm,” Eberly explained in an emailed statement.

“In all the years I have worked with the National Park Service … I have never worked with a more arrogant, arbitrary and vindictive group representing the NPS,” Eberly said.
But it didn't stop there. A whole slew of parks in AZ and other places that are privately ran were also forced to close down.

- http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/o...hutters-parks/

Quote:
Warren Meyer of Phoenix, AZ, is owner and president of Recreation Resource Management, Inc. RRM employs about 400-500 camp workers and managers across about a dozen states. It is one of a handful of companies that have been managing national parks and campgrounds as tenants for years, through previous government shutdowns including the last one in 1995-1996. Those previous shutdowns never closed any of the parks managed in this way, but the current shutdown threatens closure.

The campgrounds are self-sufficient and receive no federal funding. No government employees staff or manage the parks. The management companies pay the National Park Service out of the funds they generate from operating the thousands of campgrounds. So the reason for the shutdown is puzzling to Meyer.

Today, he sent a letter to both of his senators, John McCain and Jeff Flake, asking for help to keep his parks open.

“My company, based in North Phoenix, operates nearly over 100 US Forest Service campgrounds and day use areas under concession contract. Yesterday, as in all past government shutdowns, the Department of Agriculture and US Forest Service confirmed we would stay open during the government shutdown. This makes total sense, since our operations are self-sufficient (we are fully funded by user fees at the gate), we get no federal funds, we employ no government workers on these sites, and we actually pay rent into the Treasury.”

Notice that last part. The parks not only do not cost the taxpayers any money, they pay funds into the Treasury out of the fees park users pay. Shutting them down will cost the taxpayers money.

How much? Meyer told the Tatler that his parks generate hundreds of thousands of dollars per week. Multiply that across his competitors and the Treasury could lose a few million dollars, in what is essentially free money to the government, over the course of the shutdown.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #28412
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutherngintelmen View Post
And oh yeah (just for you, Mike ...
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 06:41 AM   #28413
Gallowbraid
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning View Post
It gets even worse. Apparently there are NF parks out there that are privately ran and funded and they actually "pay" a rental fee into the treasury and even these parks and their "private" workers were forced to shut down by the administration. Isn't that just a pile of crap.

So this was the first one that came to light in VA
- http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/obama-ends-park/

But it didn't stop there. A whole slew of parks in AZ and other places that are privately ran were also forced to close down.

- http://www.capitalisminstitute.org/o...hutters-parks/
This is becoming more and more common. The government realized they were running all of these locations at a loss and brought in private companies to run them and turn a profit. Unicoi State Park just north of Helen is a prime example. A few years back they had money problems to the point that they were considering closing down the lodge and other facilities. They turned it over to a private management group and now they're expanding. Amazing what can happen when government gets out of the way.

You think mud is a good paint protector
Winterizing just means putting a tarp over it till tomorrow
You hit Home Depot and Tractor Supply for parts before you go to the motorcycle shop.
Every time you look at anything square shaped you think "Could that be a pannier?"
You like humvees and hate H2's
You've gone into an Army Surplus store to look for riding gear.

Gallowbraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:12 AM   #28414
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 405
Thanks for the suggestions on getting the bike over to Paul's guys. I was also saddened to hear ACME shuttered its retail location (though still working the online store--support your local FF!)

I'll post on GOR & see if I can get anyone to bite. Man I'm looking forward to D'town tomorrow--weather should be perfect. Sorry I have no snake pics.
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #28415
Red Sand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
I bet there are a few "Bubba's" out there with 4-wheel drives big enough to pull up almost any locked gate.

And if they opened the gates, nobody would be around to arrest them.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2014 Triumph Scrambler ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 2013 Yamaha WR250R ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 1983 Yamaha XT250 ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Red Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #28416
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,077
If a gate falls in the woods while nobody is around does it make a sound?
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #28417
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 484
I'm sitting in my Focus, in a parking lot in Dillard working on my laptop when a whole slew of dirty DS bike pull up beside me for a moment to get the group back together before the headed up Betty Creek Rd. I didn't recognize anyone...but I sure was jealous!
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 01:32 PM   #28418
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 719
I came up Mulky Gap in Coopers Creek today and there were campers. No closed gates.
fwiw
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #28419
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,752
Oakey Mtn. gate was locked with a nice note from the Forest Service.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #28420
JustBob
Uh...who me?

Oddometer: 719
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
The shooting range in the Nantahala off of NC 294/Panther Top Road was closed with an unkind note to the Narcissist-In-Chief. Then I rode up FSR 307 to the dead end.
'11 WR250R
'88 R100RS
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #28421
SloDon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 618
Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
I'm sitting in my Focus, in a parking lot in Dillard working on my laptop when a whole slew of dirty DS bike pull up beside me for a moment to get the group back together before the headed up Betty Creek Rd. I didn't recognize anyone...but I sure was jealous!

That was the BOOH guys......riding out of the Wildcat Campground this weekend.

Will be in the Suches' area tomorrow.
Don't grow up.......it's a trap!!

SloDon screwed with this post 10-04-2013 at 05:32 PM
SloDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 05:21 PM   #28422
darnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
I think Pete got out his lock and stash of FS letterhead.

Anybody out there got a fairly new, good condition trials bike for sale?
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #28423
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,501
Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
Thanks for the suggestions on getting the bike over to Paul's guys. I was also saddened to hear ACME shuttered its retail location (though still working the online store--support your local FF!)

I'll post on GOR & see if I can get anyone to bite. Man I'm looking forward to D'town tomorrow--weather should be perfect. Sorry I have no snake pics.
That's a bummer to hear ACME closed the retail doors. Hard to get tires mounted over the Internet !

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:18 AM   #28424
mb90535im
'05 R1200 GS

Oddometer: 4,830
A guy on a red GS got a courtesy "performance award" up on the Skyway yesterday. Chasing a kid on a red v-strom and he got around a cruiser and 2-up GS and I the guy on the red GS got around the cruiser and just as the couple on the GS waved me by there at the top long straight fast part, I saw him off to the side ahead. So, I didn't pass and he came out right after we rode past him. We both pulled over and to my surprise when came up to us he pointed at me and said, "I didn't clock you, you're getting a warning," and then turned to the gentleman in front of me and said, "I clocked you, you're getting a ticket.". The two-up were folks from KY, said he was 72 and it was the first ticket in his life.

Don't know if they're posters on here or not, but hope you had a good remainder of your ride and a I'd like to see the pic of us you snapped with the trooper.
mb90535im is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #28425
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
A guy on a red GS got a courtesy "performance award" up on the Skyway yesterday. Chasing a kid on a red v-strom and he got around a cruiser and 2-up GS and I the guy on the red GS got around the cruiser and just as the couple on the GS waved me by there at the top long straight fast part, I saw him off to the side ahead. So, I didn't pass and he came out right after we rode past him. We both pulled over and to my surprise when came up to us he pointed at me and said, "I didn't clock you, you're getting a warning," and then turned to the gentleman in front of me and said, "I clocked you, you're getting a ticket.". The two-up were folks from KY, said he was 72 and it was the first ticket in his life.

Don't know if they're posters on here or not, but hope you had a good remainder of your ride and a I'd like to see the pic of us you snapped with the trooper.

See, even geezers turn into hooligans when you put them on a high performance motorcycle.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote