ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 PM   #28891
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
Anyone here know what the Cherohala looks like this weekend. We're heading up to Clinton Tn to get a bike for my wife in the morning, and would like to let the kiddies play in some snow.
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:55 PM   #28892
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,995
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman1000 View Post
Anyone here know what the Cherohala looks like this weekend. We're heading up to Clinton Tn to get a bike for my wife in the morning, and would like to let the kiddies play in some snow.

If Blood Mountiain is any indication,,,,,, I think you will find yer snow!
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #28893
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtybikefrank View Post
... 04 950 adventure and its stumbling something fierce up to about 7000 ...
Frank
Vacume leak ?
Aftermarket Fuel pump Too much Fuel Pressure ...
Carbs vented properly ?
De-Smogged ?
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:10 PM   #28894
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Old 01-04-2014, 06:18 PM   #28895
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,591
He's going to clog his arteries doing that...

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #28896
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
If you want to impress me....get some dipping sauce. Who eats those things without dipping sauce?
Old 01-04-2014, 06:25 PM   #28897
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it

Oddometer: 11,641
Quote:
I was a skinny guy before I started eating fried food during my backflips.

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:09 AM   #28898
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Bad day for riding, time to go hiking instead.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:36 AM   #28899
dirtybikefrank
Beast wrestler

Oddometer: 380
Brown Dog

Bikes all stock w all the emissions crap still on it. I'm going to clean the carbs and jets, sync them and see if it helps. Researching the issues I've read about TPS issues and a ton of other options. In the near future I'm going to ditch the stock cans and add a Rottweiler intake. Just wanted to try and get rid of the stumble and let the ol girl open up.

My schedule won't let me dig too deep into the bike as it'll be weeks to get anything done and put back together. I commute to work on the bike and hate missing out on that little bit of seat time.

Just wondering if there was anyone in the state that works magic on the LC8's...
dirtybikefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #28900
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Gambling with Craigslist

Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose....

Yesterday I took a loooong drive to go look at an 09 Kawi KLX that had 200 miles on it. Spoke to the owner over the phone and asked if any issues with it and he was surprised that I asked and was like 'no, there's only 200 miles on it what could be wrong??' He sent some pics and the thing looked ok. He did mention a dead battery.

So I get there, and we are sitting in the common area of his appt community doing our greetings and such, and he tells me he has the bike running to charge the battery and I was like great. We talked for about 20 min and then made our way out to where the bike was in the parking lot. Smoke everywhere, bike had overheated (no fans in that bike) and it had puked out all of its coolant in the parking lot and had been running hot for who know how long. This has me second guessing this purchase...then I check the site glass and the oil is nasty and way over the glass. Tilt the bike over and when its almost completely over on its side the site glass clears (had to be at least a quart high in a 1.5 qt case).

I ponder this situation, oh for about a minute or two, and finally say 'you know what? I think I'm going to pass'

I didn't even mention a rusted solid chain, salt corrosion all over the place, busted levers.

'Issues? what issues could there be on a 200 mile bike??'...sheesh...Thanks Craigslist!

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #28901
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post

Yesterday I took a loooong drive to go look at an 09 Kawi KLX that had 200 miles on it. Spoke to the owner over the phone and asked if any issues with it and he was surprised that I asked and was like 'no, there's only 200 miles on it what could be wrong??' He sent some pics and the thing looked ok. He did mention a dead battery.

So I get there, and we are sitting in the common area of his appt community doing our greetings and such, and he tells me he has the bike running to charge the battery and I was like great. We talked for about 20 min and then made our way out to where the bike was in the parking lot. Smoke everywhere, bike had overheated (no fans in that bike) and it had puked out all of its coolant in the parking lot and had been running hot for who know how long. This has me second guessing this purchase...then I check the site glass and the oil is nasty and way over the glass. Tilt the bike over and when its almost completely over on its side the site glass clears (had to be at least a quart high in a 1.5 qt case).

I ponder this situation, oh for about a minute or two, and finally say 'you know what? I think I'm going to pass'

I didn't even mention a rusted solid chain, salt corrosion all over the place, busted levers.

'Issues? what issues could there be on a 200 mile bike??'...sheesh...Thanks Craigslist!
Heck, that's a good CL experience.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:52 PM   #28902
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Yep, I went to look at a KLR like that one time. Two bent rims and "my wife will find the title...."

Pass

Old 01-05-2014, 01:21 PM   #28903
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaViking View Post

Look for the updated post that reads "just charged the battery and flushed the coolant. Ready to ride anywhere"
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #28904
AtlantaViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 829
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Heck, that's a good CL experience.
Ugh...I have to laugh about it really.

Quote:
Yep, I went to look at a KLR like that one time. Two bent rims and "my wife will find the title...."

Pass

Funny you mention that little gem-he said the title was in the mail and would be there soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judobiker View Post
Look for the updated post that reads "just charged the battery and flushed the coolant. Ready to ride anywhere"

06 Suzi DL1K
99 Suzi DR350SE
AtlantaViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #28905
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,255
Yep. Just drove from middle GA to Clinton Tn to get a nice, clean XT 225. Looked it over, test rode it, bought it. Got home and gave it a thorough look see and noticed a small bit of oil coming from the valve cover. Nothing major or hard to fix, but I just wish folks would be honest. Not even a deal breaker to me.

We did however find some snow.

I did pick up this little fella to scoot around on with my kiddos.

Fireman1000 screwed with this post 01-05-2014 at 08:14 PM
Fireman1000 is offline   Reply With Quote