ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2014, 08:18 AM   #29056
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman1313 View Post
Had a blast riding with you guys Saturday. Thanks for bearing with me and letting me tag along. One day I hope to grow up and ride more like yall...HAHAHAHA!!

Here is a "pic&video" video of our ride. Its not great but it shows some of the cool places we got into.
Great video. Enjoyed riding with ya.
Riding the pine ridge alternative trail off Rocky Flats was my favorite. Along with just about any and every creek crossing. Everything else was just too slick for my well worn D606.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:20 AM   #29057
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 321
This was a serious layover at full speed after jumping a large water bar and getting trapped in a greasy rut headed down the hill about 20ft. I'm actually quite happy given what I launched into. Once I was in the air I saw my fate! Then proceeded to plow the left bank above the lower rut, once it had it's way with my front tire, on the way to zero mph from about 30.

This hill (not pictured above) I had to try twice to get up on the way out so it was no surprise I crashed airing it out, ruts or not. So greasy I couldn't ride it up the middle coming out and had to just stay in the rut and let the hp flow. :) I'll be grooving the Heidenau; and the TKCs are as their reputation says: shite in the mud. D606 tubeless? Gonna find way.

Cracked the left handguard and just some scratches. Scratches are beautiful. I say left handguard, as saying bash bar is a gross exaggeration! The only part on the bike I thought needed to be binned now is on its way, but to be honest it did it's job. Only cracked (ripped?) the upper wind deflector. The main part of it did its job and protected my hand and is still intact and usable.

This was some greasy GA clay just underneath what appeared to be dry ground. Evil snotty grease. Wasn't just me losing friction either! But when I did look out! Almost took a few fellow DOGs out on two occasions...

The bike actually performed amazingly. I'm very pleased and I am very sure I would not have survived the day with the 990S.
2005 KTM 525 SX Supermoto/Rally
2002 KTM LC4 Supermoto (old GumbyDave-mobile)

youngblood screwed with this post 02-03-2014 at 08:43 AM
youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:33 AM   #29058
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
I'll be grooving the Heidenau; and the TKCs are as their reputation says: shite in the mud. D606 tubeless? Gonna find way.

This was some greasy GA clay just underneath what appeared to be dry ground. Evil snotty grease. Wasn't just me losing friction either! But when I did look out! Almost took a few fellow DOGs out on two occasions...

The bike actually performed amazingly. I'm very pleased and I am very sure I would have survived the day with the 990S.
Dude, you rode that bike like a champ. I've only ridden with three people on this forum who can hustle a big pig in the rough stuff like that.
You should come over here and we'll fix that K60 with my tire groover.

"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:46 AM   #29059
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

I def will take you up on the groover. I'm going to go a bit less radical than you but will put some perpendicular grooves probably half block on that center line, no doubt. I want to do if for the ride as much as the traction! That centerline of hard rubber took the rear from smooth to rough.

A D606 may have helped yesterday to a point, but no groover in the world could have stopped zero friction. That stuff was worse than ice because at least you can see ice, and where it ends usually.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #29060
Doulos
Doulos

Oddometer: 65
Great pics and video

VMan and Fullmonte - good work at capturing the ride on film. I am still sore - must have been from slipping on the ice multiple times!
Doulos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:44 AM   #29061
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

You had some good get offs. One, which I had the pleasure of witnessing solely, was the best, IMO. Made me wish I had a Gopro...cause I can't really explain it in under 500 words!

We'll have to paint that one over a beer sometime!
Old 02-03-2014, 12:42 PM   #29062
Darknessprevails
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
looks like you guys had a blast i really need to get my crf250l up to the mountains soon. i have yet to go on real ride up there i just play around on my lake trails for off road fun so far : (
Old 02-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #29063
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,876
Cool Vid Vman
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #29064
MadLawDave
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
good video Tony, enjoyed watching it. Nice to meet you all and look forward to more riding!:
MadLawDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:03 PM   #29065
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 372
This is random, but someone's been trying to sell a cruiser-ish looking Vanson on the Atlanta craigslist for $200 (only not listed in the motorcycle section.) Great deal on a jacket if that's the look you're going for.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/clo/4288100393.html

All right back to more pics of snowjam!
FriedDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:22 AM   #29066
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 680
[QUOTE=CHRIS_D;23378988]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
Some of us invaded north GA yesterday for an easy DS ride.

Huddle in the Rock Creek trail parking lot.

Here's DOG Youngblood testing the (not so good in snow) traction control on his 1190R.

Look, a chicken!

Then we headed north and rode some trails in the Cohuttas, where we traded snow for mud.

Now it's broken in proper.[/QUOTE

Wow, I'm not liking the way 1190 looks after one drop. So much for those crash bars.
Young blood did you have knobbies on the R?
I am in the minority group which does not like crash bars. I think they are more for show. If you hit them hard, they bend. They are also expensive to replace and get in the way of maintenance projects. I know that plastic is expensive too, but in the end, less junk hanging off the bike is better for me. Just my 2 cents.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:03 PM   #29067
youngblood
Gnarly Adventurer

So you'd rather replace a tank than a single crashbar? Not following the logic here fellas.

This crashbar just saved me having to replace bodywork and it is completely fine not bent, except for a little mud and scratches which give it character!

Just washed the bike today (finally) and is hard to tell anything happened outside of the hand guard.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:08 PM   #29068
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 680
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngblood View Post
So you'd rather replace a tank than a single crashbar? Not following the logic here fellas.

This crashbar just saved me having to replace bodywork and it is completely fine not bent, except for a little mud and scratches which give it character!

Just washed the bike today (finally) and is hard to tell anything happened outside of the hand guard.
Glad it worked. It is just a personal preference thing. I see a lot of crash bars on bikes that never go off road (not yours!). Also, some of the other brands seems to use flimsy crash bars.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:43 PM   #29069
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,339
Riding in the mountains is really interesting this week. You have a choice between a wet yellow line, a 6" perfect line and 30" of chat in the left hand corners....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 02:44 AM   #29070
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 1,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Glad it worked. It is just a personal preference thing. I see a lot of crash bars on bikes that never go off road (not yours!). Also, some of the other brands seems to use flimsy crash bars.
Well, my crash bars saved my bike from getting a scratch when some careless moron slung his car door open at Starbucks.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote