ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #29206
Al Tuna
PUI... Deal with it
 
Al Tuna's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Moran Nation
Oddometer: 11,136
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman View Post
Killer trail... now if they could only spell "only"...
buncha morans.
__________________
Southeast Weather Map

Under construction
Al Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 02:43 AM   #29207
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisman View Post
Killer trail... now if they could only spell "only"...
It is directed at the ATV crowd.....
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 03:08 AM   #29208
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy
 
MrTwisty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Calhoun, GA
Oddometer: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
It is directed at the ATV crowd.....
True. I bet most of their clientele don't know how to spell "only" either. If would have known the misspelled sign was going to be such a hit I would have taken some pictures of the signs with backwards "N's".
__________________
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:27 AM   #29209
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs
 
Dirtysouth's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: 30120
Oddometer: 4,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTwisty View Post
I would have taken some pictures of the signs with backwards "N's".


The one at the entrance?


Moto Mountain is a cool place to ride. I've taken my girls up there to let them ride 4 wheelers and their side by side. I plan on getting them a couple of XR's so we can ride bikes together as well. This is of course on the opposite side of the "Extreme" or technical trails.
__________________
"...When your time comes to die, do not be like those whose hearts are filled with fear of death,
So that when their time comes, they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Tecumseh
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 06:28 AM   #29210
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon
 
Gumbeaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Purgatory
Oddometer: 786
ATVs: noticed several outlaw ATVers yesterday around the forest roads...ruining it for the rest of us.
A couple good roads were gated.

Had a good ride yesterday with a couple others. We learned some things:
1-carry spare tubes for your tire sizes. they are heavy and take up space, but just do it.
2-electrical air pump is a very nice convenience!
3-the glue in tube patch kits goes bad quickly...it basically just dries up in the tube and is useless when you need it.
4-slime does not work as advertised to patch "holes up to 6mm"...
5-if the last bit of tire is not going on the rim, stop, pull it off an restart, something is not right. you will just break your aluminum tire irons. don't use steel irons or your wheel will break...
6-a 21 inch tube in a 19 inch wheel will get you home. If that option is available, then don't bother wasting time with the patching fiasco...just run with it and get outta the woods.

and a lot of other tips/tricks were discovered while I "held the bike up" and watched those guys change that tire a few times
__________________
Gumbeaux
Gumbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:19 AM   #29211
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,808
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
and a lot of other tips/tricks were discovered while I "held the bike up" and watched those guys change that tire a few times
#7 Find some sticks to hold up the bike so you can take pics of your buddys changing the tire.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 07:52 AM   #29212
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer
 
rush2112_2112's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Cumming, GA
Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
ATVs: noticed several outlaw ATVers yesterday around the forest roads...ruining it for the rest of us.
A couple good roads were gated.

Had a good ride yesterday with a couple others. We learned some things:
1-carry spare tubes for your tire sizes. they are heavy and take up space, but just do it.
2-electrical air pump is a very nice convenience!
3-the glue in tube patch kits goes bad quickly...it basically just dries up in the tube and is useless when you need it.
4-slime does not work as advertised to patch "holes up to 6mm"...
5-if the last bit of tire is not going on the rim, stop, pull it off an restart, something is not right. you will just break your aluminum tire irons. don't use steel irons or your wheel will break...
6-a 21 inch tube in a 19 inch wheel will get you home. If that option is available, then don't bother wasting time with the patching fiasco...just run with it and get outta the woods.

and a lot of other tips/tricks were discovered while I "held the bike up" and watched those guys change that tire a few times
Dang ATV's. Didn't see any on the roads, which is good when you are running at speed. Hate to come around a corner and meet one of those guys.
__________________
Super Tenere
rush2112_2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:33 AM   #29213
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer
 
CHRIS_D's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Southside of ATL, GA
Oddometer: 780
For Sale: 2006 DR650

If anyone's interested I posted my DR650 at the flea market. What a great bike!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=957218


__________________
2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R
2011 Victory Cross Country
CHRIS_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #29214
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Location: Royston, Ga
Oddometer: 181
The Bazaar Alessi World

The "unfortunate" T-BONE from Mike Alessi on Brock Tickle. It seems as though Brock did not leave him enough room.

[IMG][/IMG]
__________________
1993 XR650L; 14T CS, Dave's carb mod, Modified stk muffler, Airbox Mod, Battery relocation, Bar risers, Uni filter, No passenger pegs(to make it super lite), Blue powerband.
Lost on Row 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:27 AM   #29215
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon
 
Gumbeaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Purgatory
Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
#7 Find some sticks to hold up the bike so you can take pics of your buddys changing the tire.
Eventually found some rocks so I could get the photo...

Up in the Coopers Creek WMA on the other side of the Sea Creek water crossing.....some hunters offered their patch kit, which was "brand new" but the glue in their kit had the same problem. Don't rely on that stuff!

__________________
Gumbeaux
Gumbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:56 AM   #29216
SpeedyR
SE in the SE
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: ATL, GA
Oddometer: 586
I always carry a 21" front tube in a tube holder on my front fender. you can use it on the front or 18/19" rear if needed. works fine to get back to your vehicle/camp and make a proper repair.

I need to order one of those little peg leg things that I've seen on ADV rider that works like a center stand for the ADV bikes. anyone used this??

Trail Stand
http://www.endurostar.com/
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:16 AM   #29217
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate
 
DirtDabber's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Way, Way North GA
Oddometer: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyR View Post
I need to order one of those little peg leg things that I've seen on ADV rider that works like a center stand for the ADV bikes. anyone used this??

Trail Stand
http://www.endurostar.com/

I bought a pair of aluminum crutches from Goodwill and cut them up. I think I paid $5.00 for the pair.
__________________
.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #29218
Gumbeaux
The Chameleon
 
Gumbeaux's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Purgatory
Oddometer: 786
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
I bought a pair of aluminum crutches from Goodwill and cut them up. I think I paid $5.00 for the pair.
Excellent idea!
Could probably buy up used aluminum crutches all over the place, cut them up and brand them for motorcycles and resell them at a huge profit.

I have a little stand from BestRest that slips on the front fork and holds it off the ground for front wheel changes. It stows in the frame as if it were designed that way.

Ditto on the 21 inch tube thing....it worked in a jam on a 19 inch wheel.
__________________
Gumbeaux
Gumbeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:34 PM   #29219
coletrain
All aboard!
 
coletrain's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: North Georgia
Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbeaux View Post
Ditto on the 21 inch tube thing....it worked in a jam on a 19 inch wheel.
worked great....below 60mph. Thanks for the help!
__________________
North Georgia Tag-O-Rama

'01 F650 GS
CG#2727
coletrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #29220
mtbtweety
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Cumming, GA
Oddometer: 52
19" tube in a 21" rim?

Question for yous DOGs. I know in the mtb world that a 26" rim will stretch to fit a 29" wheel. Is that not the case in the moto world? Better to stuff a 21" tube into a 19" wheel than vise versa?

thanks y'all!
mtbtweety is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 08:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014