ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2014, 07:41 PM   #29416
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 179
Back on deck

Hey Mitch,

It was good to see you too after a few years.

By the time we got up to 60 I think they were putting that vehicle (looked like an older Ford Exploder) onto a tow truck. Didn't see any people around so maybe it was a different one.

The new 1190 has not even had its first service yet and I'm already doing evil things with it. My neighbor (Yamaha ST) and I rode dirt to Suches (Rock Creek and FS35), planning to do Coopers Creek and then got distracted by the twisties and ended up taking Canada Creek to the waterfall. Home via what's left of the dirt on Doublehead Gap and onto Big Creek. An excellent day. Now that I have crash bars installed we'll be doing more dirt. It's not the R but still amazingly capable in the dirt and I can take this model to the track too, something I probably wouldn't be inclined to do with a tall skinny front.

I hope to catch up with all you guys some time soon, although I'm doing more traveling out west so not home that much. See you on the trails.

Drew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb90535im View Post
Also as I was heading home I run into an "Aussie" chap I hadn't seen in a while at New Hope fueling up one of those new KTM Adventure bikes. He and a guy on a Yamaha ST were headed toward Suches. Both nice bikes.

All in all, great day to ride.
Old 04-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #29417
NitroAcres
MotoBiggots Suck

Oddometer: 474
I thought "Dirt Piles" were to keep cars and trucks out...
NitroAcres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 04:39 AM   #29418
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Dahlonega area routes?

Planning a ride west/north from Cleveland, Ga this week. Blindly looking for the dirt heading over toward 60, or wherever. Anyone have a good route to take? I am looking for the most off road stuff I can get into.

Allow me to thank Dirt Werks for their help with the FS roads.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 04-09-2014, 05:18 AM   #29419
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
Hey Mitch,

It was good to see you too after a few years.

By the time we got up to 60 I think they were putting that vehicle (looked like an older Ford Exploder) onto a tow truck. Didn't see any people around so maybe it was a different one.

The new 1190 has not even had its first service yet and I'm already doing evil things with it. My neighbor (Yamaha ST) and I rode dirt to Suches (Rock Creek and FS35), planning to do Coopers Creek and then got distracted by the twisties and ended up taking Canada Creek to the waterfall. Home via what's left of the dirt on Doublehead Gap and onto Big Creek. An excellent day. Now that I have crash bars installed we'll be doing more dirt. It's not the R but still amazingly capable in the dirt and I can take this model to the track too, something I probably wouldn't be inclined to do with a tall skinny front.

I hope to catch up with all you guys some time soon, although I'm doing more traveling out west so not home that much. See you on the trails.

Drew.
AmericanWalkabout......wow, that's a name from the past. Your name came up in conversation last Sunday as I chatted with your neighbors that had the fire during the winter. Hope all is well.

Fido

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:51 AM   #29420
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Grassy Gap Road?

Is Grassy Gap still a usable dirt road? Working on a route from Cornelia to FS292 Horseshoe Ridge. Or am I totally lost already? wink:
Old 04-09-2014, 05:16 PM   #29421
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
Is Grassy Gap still a usable dirt road? Working on a route from Cornelia to FS292 Horseshoe Ridge. Or am I totally lost already? wink:

I'm sure you are talking about another Grassy Gap but the one that peels off Wolf Creek goes aways, dead ends into a big pile of dirt. I'm told that if one were to go around said piles of dirt, it might end up on Duncan Ridge?
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:05 PM   #29422
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
This one???

http://goo.gl/maps/AkB6e

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 06:19 PM   #29423
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 179
Hey Fido,

Yes all is well. Had that lightning been maybe 1* further over it would have been my house burning to the ground, which would actually have been a reasonable alternative to selling, but my mother was cat sitting and I was in Florida so overall probably best it wasn't mine.

On the bike front, I have to say the new 1190 is a helluva step up from an 8yr old V-Strom. The electronic gizmos let me test the limits far more than my own skills ever would. Neighbor with the Tenere and I are taking a 600 mile overnight ride tomorrow to check out an 1190 for him at Carolina KTM. Watch out, it's catching.

Hope all is well with you too.

Drew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux View Post
AmericanWalkabout......wow, that's a name from the past. Your name came up in conversation last Sunday as I chatted with your neighbors that had the fire during the winter. Hope all is well.

Fido
Old 04-09-2014, 07:35 PM   #29424
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Yes it is. That is the road I was planning on starting out coming from Cleveland. Any suggestions are welcome, just wanting to get dirty. Knobbies and all that stuff. Thanks
Old 04-09-2014, 07:39 PM   #29425
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

A good friend of mine is having a tough time, getting a ankle fused together and will be out for 12 weeks at least. Wanted to get out on a last ride before surgery. I believe most of us can relate to that.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:42 PM   #29426
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
A good friend of mine is having a tough time, getting a ankle fused together and will be out for 12 weeks at least. Wanted to get out on a last ride before surgery. I believe most of us can relate to that.

Sad to hear. I have a friend with this possibly coming up and hate to say.... Probably avoid doing it. My uncle had it done and it's probably the worst mistake he made. Just asking for hip and other issues later on aside from never being able to do pretty much anything.

Has he looked at a few blade options with a removal? It's not 1940 anymore
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #29427
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post
Sad to hear. I have a friend with this possibly coming up and hate to say.... Probably avoid doing it. My uncle had it done and it's probably the worst mistake he made. Just asking for hip and other issues later on aside from never being able to do pretty much anything.

I don't know what he has explored as far as options. he has military insurance so it is still 1940. I will mention it to him though, thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:34 PM   #29428
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
It's not the R but still amazingly capable in the dirt and I can take this model to the track too, something I probably wouldn't be inclined to do with a tall skinny front.

Drew.
To tell the truth, I hadn't even thought of that and it's a very valid point. I like adv touring, riding and even though I hadn't bee in awhile, I like day days.

Right now I'm really waffling between a 14 Tenere, the 1190 Adv and I was wanting to test a R model. I really loved the water cooled GS and to be dead honest, I probably like it the most and it probably fits my needs and wants better than the Tenere or the KTM but man,,,,, I just don't know about owning a BMW.

To me, the Tenere would be the smart, financially prudent one to buy. It's "good enough", cheapest to buy and I'm betting the cheapest to own based on previous Yamaha experience. I'll do everything the others will do, maybe not as well but there are no plastic trophies handed out at the end of a nice long trip or at the end of Old Bucktown for that matter. Also seems to be passenger friendly as well which is important since I'll be selling the FJR. Also love the standard cruise and heated grips which is the only reason I'm considering a 14 over the much cheaper to buy used 12s and 13s, many which would have all manner of cool mods. It could take the place of my FJR and the DL650 and if I sold both, the Tenere might set me back 9K$.

The KTM is the best in the dirt and I don't think it gives up much in comfort except for the passenger. And oh man,,,, spunky as hell. Would for all intents and purposed take the place of my FJR and my DL650 and could even throw a blanket on my old R1 or 1125CR.. Hell of a motor and all manner of electronic coolness but that also worries me because the more complicated something is, the more there is to fug up. But man, one bike that could conceivably take the place of three bikes, a adv bike, a sport tourer and a sportbike. Ride to Alaska, hit all manner of cool off tarmac there, on the way back swing by a track you have always wanted to visit and do a track day. Seeing that the R model is too damned tall for my short ass, the Adv is a better choice made even better after thinking about your point on the 19 vs 21 thing. Cool bike for sure and the sale of the present bikes would get me into one for around 12K$. One last irritation though,,,, no derned cruise. Why???

That new BMW. I test rode one and man, it's the first GS that I really could see myself owning. The motor felt like a cross between a Ully {wonderfully instant, down low torque] and my FJR {also wonderful torque combined with a nice build-up of horsepower, almost electric motor feeling}. Smack the throttle and instant wheelie! The tranny felt great, like the Japanese have for, like ever. Each gear change snicks into place, not clunking like most Bavarian boxers. It felt light, much lighter than it's spec lists suggest. I would love the Adv model's fuel range and other goodies but I would have to work out something with the seat since I'm a short fugger {30 inch inseam}. It's also the priciest if optioned the way I want. Hell, I just bought the wife a brand new Nissan Versa and while it was a stripper, it still had AC and a derned radio and was less than 15K$ OTD. The derned BMW would be around 20K$OTD, even with selling the FJR and the DL650 I would still be out more than my new Versa!!!!

Finally, a odd bird for sure,,,,,, being a grandfather has made me geek on a new Ural Patrol. Yes, I know,,,,,, crazy. If I get the Ural, I'll end up selling the FJR and keeping the DL650 as I'll still need an Adv bike and a two up bike for tripping so I could get into one for maybe 12K$???? The grandson would love it as would Gizmo,,,, our beloved little Shizu. I could envision packing up the camping gear, the grandson and heading up to the Cherohala via as much dirt road as possible.

Damned, wish I had a larger financial pizza pie. I got's a Mr P's sized pie for sure.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:39 AM   #29429
judobiker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tukata View Post

I had a similar surgery in an Army hospital. They left me with about 10% flexion and no lateral movement. I don't know if I had any other options, but it certainly wasn't a small thing to get over--it took years. I don't have major issues now, but the last time I tried to run any real distance I got a stress fracture in the opposite femur. When one part of the chassis has problems, it tends to cause other problems.
"How narrow and difficult the road that leads to life, and few find it" (Matt 7:14)

'05 Bandit 1200, '01 DRZ400, '95DR125, '01 KDX200
judobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #29430
rush2112_2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Work on an beautiful Friday? NOT.....

Sent from my LG G2