ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2014, 04:15 PM   #29716
TN3Sport
East TN DS Rider

Oddometer: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sand View Post

This was just one of those days - completely, totally, amazing, super-awesome ride!

Went up to Conesauga Lake (?), then over to Murrays Lake

I saw a bear cub - I was within 20 feet of the dang thing - so cool - didn't see the momma bear

Had a very similar ride myself today. Same roads. How about that grapefruit sized gravel on FS 630. That stuff sucks.

Noticed Rocky Flats OHV was closed...

Saw a bear on the road leading into Rock Creek OHV. Middle of the road. Stood straight up, looked dead at me, then disappeared into the brush.
TN3Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #29717
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBAUTO View Post
Corbin Creek is usually not to rutted. Tray Mountain headed over towards Lake Burton is a good chance to test your skid plate on top and has some really fun rollers on the way down. The route that Dirtdabber posted is one of my favorites-it's a good chance to explore. Follow Tate City road all the way up into NC to see how far some folks will go to escape civilization.
You ain't kiddin' about the skid plate taking a beating. There were four of us today as we north on Tray Mtn, then hit Indian Grave Gap Rd., hit 17, took a right, then came southeast on Corbin Creek, then picked up Tray Mtn again (at the mudhole) and then we all got our exercise.
Great ride though, we did pass a few jeeps along the way. Still some large mud puddles to cool yourself off in...
Then we went left on 356 to get gas in Batesville/Lake Burton area, then back up Tray Mtn to Indian Grave Gap Rd. to 17 into Helen, then home.
Thanks DD for the suggestions!
I guess I need to start looking for this Tate City road...
Old 06-09-2014, 06:26 AM   #29718
Midlife
HalFassed

Oddometer: 69
Barber Camping = Good and Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtysouth View Post
I'm thinking about riding over to Barber in October for the Vintage Festival with my 9 year old in two and camping for the weekend. How rowdy does it get? Or will we be better off getting a room and taking part of the festivities during the day?
We've been tent camping for the last two years - last year was a bit of a mess they swear they will have fixed this year. When you select a site in the "tents only" area - you should not have to contend with full blown RV rigs - generators and all - certainly taking more than their allotted space. The idea for the tent camping (we thought - and generally saw 2 yrs ago) was for true "pack it on a bike" tent camping. The predominance last year was camping van's or pickups towing 20 foot bike trailers - and then the throw down a tent to make it "legal". Nothing wrong with that - but pay for the right area!

We'll go again this year - in the tent lot one more time - but I may come back to ATL on Thursday and grab my Fuzion 5th wheel toy hauler with 3 TV's, Satellite and Central VAC and put it in the tent area if the rules are not being enforced.

Other than that - great event - not overly rowdy (but you can always find a brain donor somewhere riding a pit bike hammered out of what used to be a brain while one belch away from a barf).

It is getting bigger and more crowded - still manageable - the swap meet is not to be missed - awesome stuff.

Your kiddo's will be fine, stay away from ACE CORNER - a pay to get in party area, that's where most of the rowdiness occurs - but pretty tame by most bike event standards.

2008 KTM 990 Adventure, and a bunch of dream bikes in my head.
Midlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:06 PM   #29719
ohenry
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Great wet ride up at Whissenhunt Sunday and had a great time.
It was strange to be in the minority as a 4-stroke rider and we got an early start and no ATVs.

Main trail from the parking lot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQc0...ature=youtu.be

Whissenhunt loop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ8o...ature=youtu.be

Part 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NquZ...ature=youtu.be

Ohenry
Old 06-10-2014, 12:35 AM   #29720
onesaintsfan
BigJohnHart

Oddometer: 1,279
TWoS

Rocks! Bill and the crew are doing a great job. Cant wait to get back there!

2009 Triumph Speed Triple "the mistress"
2008 BMW R1200GSA Mary Jane
2005 Chaparral 210ssi " Native Sun II "
onesaintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 02:29 PM   #29721
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohenry View Post
Great wet ride up at Whissenhunt Sunday and had a great time.
It was strange to be in the minority as a 4-stroke rider and we got an early start and no ATVs.

Ohenry
That was FUN!!! SR
Old 06-10-2014, 07:20 PM   #29722
cfd1124
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN3Sport View Post
Had a very similar ride myself today. Same roads. How about that grapefruit sized gravel on FS 630. That stuff sucks.

Noticed Rocky Flats OHV was closed...

Saw a bear on the road leading into Rock Creek OHV. Middle of the road. Stood straight up, looked dead at me, then disappeared into the brush.
I may have passed you coming down I was on the Crf. We camped at the lake over the weekend and saw the bear cub several times. Those gravels were horrible made multiple trips through them.
cfd1124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #29723
FL Pepper
OMGWTFFTW

Oddometer: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesaintsfan View Post
TWoS Rocks! Bill and the crew are doing a great job. Cant wait to get back there!
+1000

I went there for the first time this weekend. We were just planning on passing through and ended up spending the whole weekend. The place is freshly painted, clean and there are new cabins and bathhouse in the back along the creek.

Friday night dinner was awesome. The only way to top that was with the spectacular steak omelet Sunday morning

Bill & Cathy and their staff are friendly and do a great job. This place should be a mandatory stop for anyone riding the north Georgia mountains. I plan on spending more time there this summer
Central Sandbox Tag-O-Rama Maps
FL Pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:51 PM   #29724
Tukata
ADV Demo Rider

Oddometer: 1,414
I swear the weatherman rides a Harley....

Tells all these great stories about riding in the dry and little chance of rain, yet his broken down bike sits in the garage while it's pouring rain outside

Glad I made the executive decision to use my Aerostitch
Tukata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:35 PM   #29725
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,977
Wanted: handy man/window installer

Need a couple of windows installed and I'm looking for someone who owns their own business rather than the Home Depot thing. This is a simple remove/repair job, nothing fancy. Live 5 minutes south of the Ga. 400 Outlet Malls. Just want a decent job and will pay a decent price. Any help would be appreciated.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 06:07 AM   #29726
jjohn82
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Do any of you live in Eagle Watch

Any one here live in Eagle Watch? I saw two riders come into the neighborhood one on a KTM 990/950 and the other on either a Triumph or a BMW. Wouldn't mind hooking up with you guys for a ride.
jjohn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 05:38 AM   #29727
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

May need some help

I participated in the KLR toss Sunday morning propelled by a Ford Fusion and won a free broken ankle. Waiting now to hear from State Farm what they are gonna do about bike. If they decide to lemme repair it any of you degenerates know a real good shop in NW GA area or be willing to help out a gimp diy'er. I can see now it will need subframe bolts and a whole lot of TLC. Hoping to feel like getting out and having a better look this afternoon. Right now I'm still getting used to crutches. Would love to take this time to take care of a lot of little things that have been put off for riding. Doohickey, Thermobob, 22c carb mod, detweetyfying, skidplate, crashbars, footpegs and ammo can mounts.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa

6gun screwed with this post 06-17-2014 at 10:00 AM
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #29728
Lost on Row 1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6gun View Post
I participated in the KLR toss Sunday morning propelled by a Ford Fusion and won a free broken ankle. Waiting now to hear from State Farm what they are gonna do about bike. If they decide to lemme repair it any of you degenerates know a real good shop in NE GA area or be willing to help out a gimp diy'er. I can see now it will need subframe bolts and a whole lot of TLC. Hoping to feel like getting out and having a better look this afternoon. Right now I'm still getting used to crutches. Would love to take this time to take care of a lot of little things that have been put off for riding. Doohickey, Thermobob, 22c carb mod, detweetyfying, skidplate, crashbars, footpegs and ammo can mounts.
Sorry to hear about your recent Ford Fling.

I would be glad to come and take a look at your bike and give you a quote. You can talk to judobiker, presidio94 and trblmkr for a reference. I have over 35 years in the bike business and have a Moto/Dual Sport service and repair shop (Track & Trail) in Royston at my home.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:03 AM   #29729
6gun
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost on Row 1 View Post
Sorry to hear about your recent Ford Fling.

I would be glad to come and take a look at your bike and give you a quote. You can talk to judobiker, presidio94 and trblmkr for a reference. I have over 35 years in the bike business and have a Moto/Dual Sport service and repair shop (Track & Trail) in Royston at my home.
Your post made me realize that I never changed my profile after moving and put NE GA out of habit. I'm actually in NW GA. But I may have some work for you yet. Not opposed to bringing it to ya once I find out what SF gonna want me doing.

2008 KLR650, 2003 Super Sherpa
6gun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:37 AM   #29730
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Help needed

Fellow inmate Ineptizoid needs a sprocket carrier (the part on the back wheel that holds the sprocket) for a gen 1 KLR.

Guess it made to the top of Buck Bald! Isn't going to make it to Pensecola!

He is in Blue Ridge.

KLR parts stash anyone?

PM ineptizoid or myself or call 9549935581.

Thanks

John
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote