ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2014, 06:23 PM   #29896
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 842
since we are talking about parking lots.. I've always seen the lot right at the end of 400 when you continue straight that's in front of the Home Depot, the park and ride lot. I"m assuming you could park there, as it's right on the side of the road but didn't know why I don't see trailers/bikes there? We used to meet there on our trips to north GA.

another spot is where the old Dawsonville Nascar museum was in downtown Dawsonville. Now it's the city offices or something and a strip shopping center. I've parked there a couple of times but it's been a while since I used that lot but it's nice as it's not too far to hit dirt from there...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:08 PM   #29897
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
No harm, just pokin fun guys LOL

Coats is gonna have a field day with all this Trailer talk ....

Many Ol School ADV'rs have ridden tagged Enduro race bikes 400+ miles of true 50/50 Dual Sport riding.

I know of two Senior riders that has ridden their bike TO a Harescramble & brought their Trophy home on the bike.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:22 PM   #29898
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

Many Ol School ADV'rs have ridden tagged Enduro race bikes 400+ miles of true 50/50 Dual Sport riding.

I know of two Senior riders that has ridden their bike TO a Harescramble & brought their Trophy home on the bike.

Next thing you know people will be finding someone else to ride their bike for them....

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 07:39 PM   #29899
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Oh, I knew it was coming. I don't mind long days, but riding through Atlanta on a thumper just plain sucks ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #29900
Fireman1000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoilSampleDave View Post
Oh, I knew it was coming. I don't m!!ind long days, but riding through Atlanta on a thumper just plain sucks ass.

So let's make a deal!
Fireman1000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 05:23 AM   #29901
rejected takeoff
Where are we?

Oddometer: 50
I park in the Dahlonega Wal-Mart lot.
rejected takeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #29902
rejected takeoff
Where are we?

Oddometer: 50
I currently own a BMW F800GS. Bought it thinking I would do more of the adventure style riding but have found I like to get even further off the beaten path than that and want something better suited for the rougher stuff in North GA and NC.

Looking for recommendations as to what would be a good bike. I'm 6' 0" and 210 lbs. Considering a DRZ 400S, KTM 350 EXC-F or 500 EXC.

Thanks.
rejected takeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:18 AM   #29903
Venturer
AKA klakeman

Oddometer: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by rejected takeoff View Post
I currently own a BMW F800GS. Bought it thinking I would do more of the adventure style riding but have found I like to get even further off the beaten path than that and want something better suited for the rougher stuff in North GA and NC.

Looking for recommendations as to what would be a good bike. I'm 6' 0" and 210 lbs. Considering a DRZ 400S, KTM 350 EXC-F or 500 EXC.

Thanks.
Great choices. It really depends on just how rough you want to go. If you are looking for 80% off road with a lot of super steep first gear ledges, log hops, etc, then the 350 is superb. This is what I ride. It isnt really suited for long pavement rides though. Think Porsche 2 seater.

If you want the ability to do the super tough stuff but realistically will stick with Whissenhunt level riding and lots of FS roads, and some pavement, then the 500 is really hard to beat and has a wide operating range. Think Porsche Cayenne.

If you are planning mainly FS roads, a fair amount of pavement and just the occasional muddy trail, then the 400s is fine. Think Toyota 4 Runner.

Lastly, you will notice a big price gap between the Suzuki and the KTMs. The build quality and components are top notch on the KTMs but you have to pay for this. Some will say the KTMs are more expensive to maintain. I find they are very reliable but you do have to change the oil, clean the air filter, etc. more regularly on the KTMs. In general, if you dont like working on your bike, then the Suzuki may be a good choice. Each of these bikes have distinctive personalities. If possible, you should try to get a brief ride on each. You will notice some big differences.

Kirk
'04 KTM 950; '11 KTM 350 XCF;
'08 KTM 250 XCF-W; '05 Montesa 250 4RT Trials
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #29904
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Next thing you know people will be finding someone else to ride their bike for them....
Do you want to sign up for Taos in September?
Old 07-19-2014, 02:10 PM   #29905
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
950 sounds great

I got a 950 that needs a new home. ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejected takeoff View Post

Thanks.
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #29906
SoilSampleDave
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,646
Excellent advice; I think you nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venturer View Post
Great choices. It really depends on just how rough you want to go. If you are looking for 80% off road with a lot of super steep first gear ledges, log hops, etc, then the 350 is superb. This is what I ride. It isnt really suited for long pavement rides though. Think Porsche 2 seater.

If you want the ability to do the super tough stuff but realistically will stick with Whissenhunt level riding and lots of FS roads, and some pavement, then the 500 is really hard to beat and has a wide operating range. Think Porsche Cayenne.

If you are planning mainly FS roads, a fair amount of pavement and just the occasional muddy trail, then the 400s is fine. Think Toyota 4 Runner.

Lastly, you will notice a big price gap between the Suzuki and the KTMs. The build quality and components are top notch on the KTMs but you have to pay for this. Some will say the KTMs are more expensive to maintain. I find they are very reliable but you do have to change the oil, clean the air filter, etc. more regularly on the KTMs. In general, if you dont like working on your bike, then the Suzuki may be a good choice. Each of these bikes have distinctive personalities. If possible, you should try to get a brief ride on each. You will notice some big differences.

'13 350EXC-F
SoilSampleDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM   #29907
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,931
Quote:
Excellent advice; I think you nailed it.
Which is exactly why there are 4 bikes in my garage.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 06:08 AM   #29908
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,716
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
Which is exactly why there are 4 bikes in my garage.
And exactly why I have 5; although I hope the number is down to 4 by tomorrow.

Plated bikes... Lost track of the others....
Old 07-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #29909
CHRIS_D
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Oh, I knew it was coming. I don't mind long days, but riding through Atlanta on a thumper just plain sucks ass.
I agree that is why I went from thumper back to ADV bike. I hate to trailer and it's no problem riding that 100 + miles to the mountains on V-twin.
Old 07-20-2014, 06:38 AM   #29910
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRIS_D View Post
... I hate to trailer and it's no problem riding that 100 + miles to the mountains on V-twin.
+1

It's a 95 mile trek for me to Suches on my 690 / 950 but I enjoy any non Interstate rides to get to the Trails / Hills
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote