ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #29956
FriedDuck
Why die all tensed up?

Oddometer: 413
D.O.G. Dualsporters Of Georgia

There's a guy on craigslist with a blown-up final drive on his R1200GS if anyone has any suggestions for him. Even my tools are locked away in a storage unit while I move so I'm no help.

The 690 is back on the road, though, happily

Oh yeah, the link:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4560300470.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FriedDuck screwed with this post 07-27-2014 at 05:36 PM Reason: mistake
FriedDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 06:20 AM   #29957
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Oddometer: 183
Probably a long shot, but anyone in the Decatur general area have a loading ramp I could possibly borrow?
175grams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #29958
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 824
had a good ride saturday with crewsdawg. Dropped the 950 in a big mud hole within 10 minutes of hitting dirt. nice. At least there was a creek nearby where I could wash off at least some of the mud. lol...

FS roads to suches, lunch at TWO, flatlands where I lost my wallet and gopro accessory pouch from my tank bag. Spent some time looking for them and found them without too much problem, then hightailed it home. rode maybe 175 miles and enjoyed throwing the 950 around some nice trails and roads.

Went out sunday on the road king, up to Clayton and back with the wife and a friend of hers. It was a lot hotter, but the road king worked well, first long ride on it since it came out of it's 7 year hibernation...
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:06 AM   #29959
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 229
ramp

Call some.local dealerships. Places like Lowes may have them too for lawn tractors.

For a small deposit someone will probably loan you one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175grams View Post
Probably a long shot, but anyone in the Decatur general area have a loading ramp I could possibly borrow?

AmericanWalkabout screwed with this post 07-28-2014 at 11:08 AM Reason: .
AmericanWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 11:56 AM   #29960
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
Call some.local dealerships. Places like Lowes may have them too for lawn tractors.

For a small deposit someone will probably loan you one.
Got one from a friend. I'm back in business with another DR650. Sold the last one about a month ago, didn't feel good not having wheels.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:04 PM   #29961
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Have a title/registration question for you guys. Here's the skinny:

Bought a DR650 today from a guy who had only had the bike a few weeks. He never registered the bike in GA, so now I have the Tennessee title but he and the original owner put their information on the back of the title in the "assigment of title by registered owner" so now I don't have a space to fill in my info.

I have a bill of sale. I talked to GA DMV on the phone and they're making it sound like its going to be a problem.

Any suggestions? FYI - the guy I bought it from is now in California so he's not around to help in person. It would be a piece of cake if I could replace his name with mine on the back of the title, essentially me buying it from the original owner.

Hope all that makes sense.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:13 PM   #29962
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,929
Quote:

Bought a DR650 today from a guy who had only had the bike a few weeks. He never registered the bike in GA, so now I have the Tennessee title but he and the original owner put their information on the back of the title in the "assigment of title by registered owner" so now I don't have a space to fill in my info.

I have a bill of sale. I talked to GA DMV on the phone and they're making it sound like its going to be a problem.

Any suggestions? FYI - the guy I bought it from is now in California so he's not around to help in person. It would be a piece of cake if I could replace his name with mine on the back of the title, essentially me buying it from the original owner.

Ugh, that's going to be a pain. I've walked away from deals like that just because of the headache involved.

The best bet you have here is getting in contact with the original owner in TN who currently shows on the title as the owner and maybe seeing if they could get a replacement title and basically they act like they sold the bike directly to you. Obviously offer them something for their time and effort. They have no obligation to help you, so make it worth their time. Involving the other guy who's moved to CA is just going to be a mess at this point.

Good luck.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5 <-- Click Here
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 PM   #29963
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
I know this is a long shot, but worth a try. Any of you guys .... have a spare moto you'd be willing to lend? ...

Quote:
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 02:38 PM   #29964
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
No worries Brown Dog, a friend offered his ramp in no time and then I bought my own ride. I was without a motorcycle for a couple months, not a familiar feeling for me. Happy to be back in the saddle!

I've helped a lot of riders over the years, no harm in asking others for a favor now and then. We two-wheelers gotta stick together.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #29965
SpeedyR
SE in the SE

Oddometer: 824
Quote:

I"m with BL on this one. you have two "easy" options-

1) contact the guy you "bought" the bike from and have him register it and get a new title, then he signs it over to you and you register it.

2) contact the original owner of the bike from the title info you have and see if you can convince him to get a new title for the bike (since according to the DMV he is still the owner of the bike as far as titles go). Once he gets new title, have him fill it out in your name and then you register it like you bought it from him.

the other options include things like bonded titles with inspections and lots of paperwork, etc. Basically the DMV only looks at the title. as you said there's no where to put your info, so it's been "sold" to the middle owner. until he registers it, it's in title limbo. The DMV shows it still being owned by the original owner in their database. You have a title showing it's owned by the middle owner, but a bill of sale saying you have purchased it from the middle guy. You are low man on the totem pole so to speak. :( You might be able to get a power of attorney paperwork from the middle owner to "register" the title to him and then have him send it to you once he gets the new title in the mail at his new address.

IMHO any time there's a title issue involved with purchasing a bike, unless it's just really really cheap and I must have THAT bike, I would run away. I've gotten lucky twice now with similar situations, but at least the second time I knew what I was getting into on the front end.
SpeedyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #29966
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Thanks BL and SpeedyR for the advice. I'm working on it, hopefully I can get this resolved without too much hassle. Luckily the original owner is an inmate too.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:28 PM   #29967
hardwaregrrl
ignore list

Oddometer: 7,176
Saw this bike at Boxerworks-service the other day. I'm pretty sure the owner sold it to the shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriedDuck View Post
There's a guy on craigslist with a blown-up final drive on his R1200GS if anyone has any suggestions for him. Even my tools are locked away in a storage unit while I move so I'm no help.

The 690 is back on the road, though, happily

Oh yeah, the link:
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/mcy/4560300470.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 04:29 PM   #29968
AmericanWalkabout
Lost in the Wilderness

Oddometer: 229
One more step

Being a lawyer (makes me slightly paranoid) and seeing how these things can go awry, the one extra safety step you may want to consider is having the replacement title that you request of.the original owner mailed to you as opposed to him. You can usually have a separate mailing address listed on the title app.

That would avoid any unfortunate situation involving a freshly minted clean title. You could say it's to ensure he doesn't have any additional hassle.

There are also various 'in error' affidavits that are available in GA but that would involve the CL guy too.

Just my paranoid 2c.

Quote:
Thanks BL and SpeedyR for the advice. I'm working on it, hopefully I can get this resolved without too much hassle. Luckily the original owner is an inmate too.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:30 PM   #29969
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanWalkabout View Post
Being a lawyer (makes me slightly paranoid) and seeing how these things can go awry, the one extra safety step you may want to consider is having the replacement title that you request of.the original owner mailed to you as opposed to him. You can usually have a separate mailing address listed on the title app.

That would avoid any unfortunate situation involving a freshly minted clean title. You could say it's to ensure he doesn't have any additional hassle.

There are also various 'in error' affidavits that are available in GA but that would involve the CL guy too.

Just my paranoid 2c.

Good thoughts.

He would still have to go get the correct signatures even if it was mailed to him directly.

Here is the procedure for making a change to a GEORGIA title.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/T...ssignment.aspx

And here is the form you will have to fill out.

http://motor.etax.dor.ga.gov/motor/T...s_Form_T11.pdf

Here is the grey area.... dark dark grey.... Legally middle guy bought the bike and should have titled it and then sold it to you with the new title.

Either way you are venturing into an area where everyone needs their story straight. I assume you could keep the title, strike through the middle guy's name and check off owner changed his mind. on the T11 form. However you are dealing with an out of state title and that may throw a wrench in the system. Either way you will have to have signatures and some leg work from one of the previous owners.

If the first owner goes and gets a new title for you and signs it over you need to make sure he is very well taken care of. Depending on where he lives it could be the difference between a 10 minute stop or a half day off work...

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #29970
175grams
Guatemala Moto Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDabber View Post
If the first owner goes and gets a new title for you and signs it over you need to make sure he is very well taken care of. Depending on where he lives it could be the difference between a 10 minute stop or a half day off work...
Completely agree, he'll be saving the day when this works out!