ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #16
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,813
Flux, glad to see you around. Check out this video from last weekend. A group of 4 of us ran that route that you led sometime back. I've been having a blast exploring other areas around there.

Anyway, there had been 2 solid days of rain just before the ride and needless to say that 1st major river crossing was deep. I went through first and was expecting it to be deeper, but when my front fender was just about under water, I started to get a little worried. I had my camera on the handle bars on the way across, so it got soaked and didn't work for awhile, but we went back across that evening and I got video that time.

For comparison to the video, here is a normal height on that stream crossing.
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:01 AM   #17
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Actually, that one is Sandy Bottoms I think. We did find Earls Ford, which is a very cool road, but not possible to cross due to the heavy rains we got last week. People have told me it is crossable in the summer, so I will have to check that out. Sandy Bottoms is at the end of Joe Speed Road from my memory. There were MANY forest service roads in the area that were not on my map.
I've canoed and kayaked the Chatooga many times. There are some great roads around there. Let me know next time you head up there. That should be a blast.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:15 AM   #18
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,661
were was the invite on that one???

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:23 AM   #19
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_strike
were was the invite on that one???
Are you talking about this ride I just posted pics to?

Sorry about that. I've got to get better at cross posting to other boards, although this one did come together the night before. The group that I ride with is on this forum - http://www.blokessportbike.com/index.php and we have a dirtbike/supermoto forum. The majority of guys on there are in GA around the Atlanta area. We've just had a group of us break off and start getting into the DS bikes and we post up rides and such in that dirtbike forum.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:41 AM   #20
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,614
Nice video, Blue. I love showing people that trail. The looks on their faces is the greatest! Was that Dazed on the yellow DRZ?

One time I rode back from Whissenhunt in the rain. I took that trail, and the entire thing, from 52 back across the creek xing, was like one huge river. There was flowing water everywhere. One reason I like that area so much is that everytime it rains, it chagnes the layout of the ruts. Good stuff.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 07:56 AM   #21
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Nice video, Blue. I love showing people that trail. The looks on their faces is the greatest! Was that Dazed on the yellow DRZ?

One time I rode back from Whissenhunt in the rain. I took that trail, and the entire thing, from 52 back across the creek xing, was like one huge river. There was flowing water everywhere. One reason I like that area so much is that everytime it rains, it chagnes the layout of the ruts. Good stuff.
Acutally, that was Wheedle on the DRZ.

On up North of that where there are the really big ruts, there was a car and on older truck stuck in the ruts. It was pretty funny to come and see it.

The ruts were extremely deep this time with the recent rain, so crossing them was interesting.

BTW, did you ever find that trail near the cemetary I told you about? We hit that trail too and it has become one of my favorites in that area. Man, talk about another loosing your bike in the water. There are a couple woops that normally are damp or muddy, but this time, they were filled with 2-3 ft of water. It's another great place to watch people's faces as they pop over and realize they are about to go swimming. There is also a creek crossing on that trail.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 AM   #22
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I never did find that trail, no. I think I know the one you are talking about. One day you will have to show me. Sounds like my cup of tea.

Right now I am into exploring Warwoman a little more. All the stuff between my place and Suches is fun and all, but by the time I get anywhere new, it is already dark and time to head home. Last weekend me and Lucky trucked the bikes to Clayton and started there, where we met Dags on his KLR.

I did find the Suches firetower, and that place is AWESOME. The trail to get there was fun, too. I think I wheelied up half of it.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:11 AM   #23
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportster Girl
Sweet! I grew up in that area on the SC side. Fished it a lot.

Be sure to give a post heads up when you guys do that area again, easily within driving distance for me.

Good to see you back Mark!
Looks like you found yourself a bike, eh? I bet you are having a blast.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:12 AM   #24
Hollywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Hey Flux and Blue, my Uncle is a Forest Ranger in Clayton and lives off of Warwoman. I'm sure that he could provide some great, detailed maps of the area.

I've also done some mountain biking up there - there is some really great singletrack and FS roads that I'd love to explore w/out having to pedal up them!!

Look forward to getting together for a ride sometime soon.

Hollywood
Old 01-05-2007, 08:17 AM   #25
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood
Hey Flux and Blue, my Uncle is a Forest Ranger in Clayton and lives off of Warwoman. I'm sure that he could provide some great, detailed maps of the area.

I've also done some mountain biking up there - there is some really great singletrack and FS roads that I'd love to explore w/out having to pedal up them!!

Hollywood
H'wood! (I always want to say "Hogan" after that for some damned reason) How ya been, mang? Dude, if there is a way to get some detailed maps of Warwoman, I would love to get ahold of them. Literally half of what we rode last time wasn't marked on the map I have. That would be sweet.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #26
lucky_strike
whose flux?

Oddometer: 2,661
hey flux thats claton county right....im going to buy the newest version from garmin today. i sampled it last night and it looked like there was some good details on it. i think next weekend we should go.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=809561
lucky_strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:23 AM   #27
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Hey Flux! I hope to meet you up there some time!
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:25 AM   #28
blackbirdzach
Daily Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLghtning
Acutally, that was Wheedle on the DRZ.

On up North of that where there are the really big ruts, there was a car and on older truck stuck in the ruts. It was pretty funny to come and see it.

The ruts were extremely deep this time with the recent rain, so crossing them was interesting.

BTW, did you ever find that trail near the cemetary I told you about? We hit that trail too and it has become one of my favorites in that area. Man, talk about another loosing your bike in the water. There are a couple woops that normally are damp or muddy, but this time, they were filled with 2-3 ft of water. It's another great place to watch people's faces as they pop over and realize they are about to go swimming. There is also a creek crossing on that trail.

That was the best trail that we hit when I went last time.
blackbirdzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #29
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood

Hollywood
Man, that would awesome. I'd like to get my hands on some nice FS maps to compare and plan routes on my GPS.

Flux, I know what you mean about the Suches area. I know there is a lot more out there, but I keep taking people on what I know. I'm ready to go explore some new areas. I definitely want to get up there near Warwoman and ride that area.
Old 01-05-2007, 10:26 AM   #30
I.P. Freely
Ragin Cajun

Oddometer: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbirdzach
Hey Flux! I hope to meet you up there some time!
+1

Hey Bluelghtning, are we still going to do the Cherohala trails in Graham County, NC before summer time?
IBA Member #30237
I.P. Freely is offline   Reply With Quote