ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 06:08 AM   #7501
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,192
Heads up! You guys need to know not to waste your time heading over into the Cohutta's for awhile.

This article from the Dalton paper this morning.

Forest service closing roads in the Cohutta mountains
Submitted by the U.S. Forest Service

CHATSWORTH Forest Service officials of the Chattahoochee National Forest will be immediately closing roads in the Cohutta Mountains for public safety and to protect the roads from further damage. These closures will remain in place until weather patterns have changed and the roads have dried out.

As a result, the Grassy Mountain, Betty Gap, Three Forks and Potato Patch areas will be inaccessible by vehicle.

The roads that will be closed are West Cowpen road (FS17) at the intersection with Mill Creek Road (FS630); FS68 at Potato Patch Mountain; FS64 at Potato Patch Mountain and Jacks River Field campground.

Weather predictions for the next few days indicate that the Cohutta Mountains could receive freezing rain, snow and very cold temperatures. District ranger Michele Jones explained, I have decided to close these roads for public safety and to protect the roads from further damage. Winter weather causes these roads to become icy and snow-covered, which makes for extremely dangerous driving conditions. Similar conditions earlier this winter were the cause of vehicle accidents and vehicles had to be abandoned on the mountain.

In addition, the constant freezing and thawing has softened the roadbeds. Traffic on these soft roads has caused rutting and other damage which will need to be repaired once the roads dry out. These repairs are costly and have been estimated at roughly $200,000.

For updated information on current conditions on the Chattahoochee National Forest, log on to www.fs.fed.us/conf/ or call the Conasauga Ranger Station at (706) 695-6736 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 4:30 p.m

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:22 AM   #7502
Killer Whale KTM
Life is the adventure!

Oddometer: 706
Phideaux,
Thanks for the heads up !
Killer Whale KTM
Old 02-20-2009, 06:47 AM   #7503
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,876
yea , i was up there 2 weeks ago with snow on the higher elevations
& the roads were muck. im sure they are gonna close the to repair them.
thanks bo
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #7504
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,808
West Cowpen had some nasty ruts. Mill Creek was not too bad but the top layer has been eroded off. Lots of snowmelt two weeks ago. Brown Dog, you and I need to hit the Talladega NF again. 311 miles Sunday. That was fun.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:41 AM   #7505
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Why the heck the FS thinks they need to repair forest roads all the time is weird to me. If a vehicle cannot maneuver some ruts they do not belong up there. Sadly, people just can't figure that out for themselves so the goddamn government has to 'protect' us morons.

Every time they close roads for the winter a part of me wonders if they will actually reopen them in the spring....
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 07:59 AM   #7506
ARod2000
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdscoates
fuck flux
Well said.

HEY, if anyone needs anything done to any bike and wants it done right and at a fair price - let me know. Last night Flux and Mike came over with Flux's bike with the "it no workey" look. Our pal Jeremy fixed it in about 15 minutes and sent them on their happy ass way.

Jeremy was "laid off" yesterday from a mechanic shop. He is a certified auto mechanic (by whoever/whatever certifies that) and he races dirtbikes. He's doing some work for friends out of his garage and I promise you he'll do a good job for you. And he can do anything, including splitting the cases and dumping all that stuff out and putting it back together right. Suspension too. He does it all.

There we go, shameless plug for a pal. Hit up me or Mike if you want to get in touch with Jeremy. Or hit him up on georgia off road, jmr17x.

(if this violates any sort of advertising rules of this site then someone come over here and beat me upside the head with a steel dill-doe. )
ARod2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 08:07 AM   #7507
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,560
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARod2000
Well said.

HEY, if anyone needs anything done to any bike and wants it done right and at a fair price - let me know. Last night Flux and Mike came over with Flux's bike with the "it no workey" look. Our pal Jeremy fixed it in about 15 minutes and sent them on their happy ass way.

Jeremy was "laid off" yesterday from a mechanic shop. He is a certified auto mechanic (by whoever/whatever certifies that) and he races dirtbikes. He's doing some work for friends out of his garage and I promise you he'll do a good job for you. And he can do anything, including splitting the cases and dumping all that stuff out and putting it back together right. Suspension too. He does it all.

There we go, shameless plug for a pal. Hit up me or Mike if you want to get in touch with Jeremy. Or hit him up on georgia off road, jmr17x.

(if this violates any sort of advertising rules of this site then someone come over here and beat me upside the head with a steel dill-doe. )

I posted up a big thanks to you guys over on GOR this morning. Crane got me his # so I am going to have to call him later and get him to do fork seals for me. That sucks he got laid off. When I have enough cash for suspension I plan on seeing if he can help me out on the POS Tiger crud.

Thanks again.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #7508
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARod2000

You got the "it no workey" look from Flux.

That is punishment enough.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:14 AM   #7509
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
West Cowpen had some nasty ruts. Mill Creek was not too bad but the top layer has been eroded off. Lots of snowmelt two weeks ago. Brown Dog, you and I need to hit the Talladega NF again. 311 miles Sunday. That was fun.
im game monte, u got my #. i did 275 miles. that woulda been an awesome
950 SE ride. sorry, i was dreamin again flux.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:49 AM   #7510
Young Old Geezer
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Vintage Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchesRider
Hey Flux & Coates! Thanks for the invite. I usually attend this show, but I have a date with a motocross track on Sunday.... I gotta prep for my upcoming first big vintage mx race of the season. Plus, I'm gonna see what the Hodaka can do in the woods! Otherwise I'd be right there with you guys on my 990! SR
Where's the Vintage Race?
Young Old Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #7511
Brown Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Why the heck the FS thinks they need to repair forest roads all the time is weird to me. If a vehicle cannot maneuver some ruts they do not belong up there. Sadly, people just can't figure that out for themselves so the goddamn government has to 'protect' us morons.

Every time they close roads for the winter a part of me wonders if they will actually reopen them in the spring....
they gotta keep the yuppies from the big cities happy in their little
suv / frt wheel drives. not taking up for em, but i guess they
do bring a little income into the surrounding towns. i agree wit cha flux,
they ant got no bussiness up there in a 2 wheel drive.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #7512
SuchesRider
Just Do It!

Oddometer: 1,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Young Old Geezer
Where's the Vintage Race?
AHRMA Nationals are happening the end of the month down in Gainesville, Florida! SR
Old 02-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #7513
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 970
Anyone riding in the Dahlonega/N, Ga area this weekend? I might be able to get up there sunday. Looking for someone to show me the good roads.
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #7514
red bud
alky w/motorcycle problem

Oddometer: 4,625
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Atlanta
Have a few passes to the Greenville IMS this weekend, swing by and see me.

u have mail (maybe to late?)

"red bud has anyone ever told u you're bit of an ass" bmwblake

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706516

red bud screwed with this post 02-20-2009 at 02:50 PM
red bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:33 PM   #7515
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
Anyone riding in the Dahlonega/N, Ga area this weekend? I might be able to get up there sunday. Looking for someone to show me the good roads.
Dags is usually up that way most weekends, you might shoot him a pm.

Sunday is my only day off this week, it just so happens to be the same situation for my wife, I'll prolly stick around the house.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote