ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #7516
Me and my monkee
Out makin' Monkee Maps

Oddometer: 973
If I go I will have to load my bike up in the morning as I am going to the Greenville show tomorrow, and will head from there to the mtns, probably Helen, for the night, in order to ride as much as possible on Sunday.
Dags or anyone else interested?
Wanna show this flatland AARSE what ya got up there?
Me and my monkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #7517
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,587
Damn Monkee, we are already planning on going to the show Sunday. If nobody is around to show you a good time let me know and I will send you some must rides. Sorry I will miss you this go-round but we need to organize a DOG's AARSE ride this spring fo sho.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #7518
Willy-B
onebudwiser

Oddometer: 7,804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and my monkee
If I go I will have to load my bike up in the morning as I am going to the Greenville show tomorrow, and will head from there to the mtns, probably Helen, for the night, in order to ride as much as possible on Sunday.
Dags or anyone else interested?
Wanna show this flatland AARSE what ya got up there?
From Helen, Tray Mountain (dirt) is a must and only a stones throw away.

Also, The Chattahoochee NF (dirt) is just out side of Helen as well, kinda sketchy with gate closings and all, even screwed up a tag idea I had, but, you never know what the current gate status could be this time of year. Still places to ride in there though

Pavement offers Richard Russell within five miles from Helen as well. Tight twisty stuff that's a hoot on a thumper. Not to mention taking 75 over to Hiawassee.

My theory, you only get one chance, go full fucking throttle, all the way, all the time.-Trip
Willy-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 AM   #7519
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-B
From Helen, Tray Mountain (dirt) is a must and only a stones throw away.

Also, The Chattahoochee NF (dirt) is just out side of Helen as well, kinda sketchy with gate closings and all, even screwed up a tag idea I had, but, you never know what the current gate status could be this time of year. Still places to ride in there though

Pavement offers Richard Russell within five miles from Helen as well. Tight twisty stuff that's a hoot on a thumper. Not to mention taking 75 over to Hiawassee.
Poplar Stump from Helen is closed at the top (went by there yesterday) Not sure about the bottom portion out of Helen. Tray Mt. Is always open due to houses on the road, but some of the roads at the intersection on the top will be closed. You should be able to ride Tray Mt. to the top then down a rocky road to the right once at the top. They have been working on this road and last time it was a nice ride. This will bring you out on 384 or 348 whatever it is that takes you into Batesville. There is an offroad park there that is good riding and its open all year. Watch out for ice and snow on Sunday. Its supposed to snow here tonight. Last year I hit some ice that was the same color as the dirt and went down at about 40mph Managed to come out unscathed even without elbow pads, got'em now though I will be out today breaking in my new 09 690R So, Monkee shoot me pm and I let you know where I went and how it was. At this point not sure where I am heading just getting out.

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:00 AM   #7520
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Hey DOGs, do any of you know how to change the oil and seals on USD forks? I need to do mine but winter is a bad time of the year for a landscaper to come up with extra $ to pay someone to do it and I have never done it before. If anyone can come show me how its done (or I'll come to you) I'll buy the pizza and beer.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:20 AM   #7521
juniorsktm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Hey DOGs, do any of you know how to change the oil and seals on USD forks? I need to do mine but winter is a bad time of the year for a landscaper to come up with extra $ to pay someone to do it and I have never done it before. If anyone can come show me how its done (or I'll come to you) I'll buy the pizza and beer.
Flux, give Jeremy a ring. He could use the work. Call for his number if you don't have it.........

BTW, you going to the race today?
Old 02-21-2009, 06:21 AM   #7522
darnell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
I assume you are working on WP forks. This may be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

Do a search in the suspension forum on ktmtalk for the oil level.

Have fun.
darnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:06 AM   #7523
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniorsktm
Flux, give Jeremy a ring. He could use the work. Call for his number if you don't have it.........

BTW, you going to the race today?
Hey Frank, I wish I had the money to give Jeremy to do it. Work for me has died off this winter. I'm sure in the spring it'll pick back up but for now I really have to watch where I put money. If its something I can do myself, I really need to. Still, if I think I'm getting in over my head I'll definitely use him.

Nope, no race, I got a full plate this weekend...
Old 02-21-2009, 07:16 AM   #7524
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Oddometer: 3,830
Quote:
Hey Frank, I wish I had the money to give Jeremy to do it. Work for me has died off this winter. I'm sure in the spring it'll pick back up but for now I really have to watch where I put money. If its something I can do myself, I really need to. Still, if I think I'm getting in over my head I'll definitely use him.

Nope, no race, I got a full plate this weekend...

Is\are your seals leaking?
Did it just start?

Or proposing a proper preventative maintenance...procedure?

WoovsHoovs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #7525
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darnell
I assume you are working on WP forks. This may be helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y43k1qFVGW4

Do a search in the suspension forum on ktmtalk for the oil level.

Have fun.
Hey Darnell, you are right, WP forks. That vid IS helpful, thanks a lot for posting that. I had no idea rockymtnatv.com did videos like that.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:22 AM   #7526
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
Is\are your seals leaking?
Did it just start?

Or proposing a proper preventative maintenance...procedure?

One is leaking. I have cleaned it and its still leaking. Badly enough to puddle up on the ground.

I know how it happened. The bike came with those neoprene seal saver things and when I cut them off when I realized I had a leak they were caked with dirt and grit. I don't guess I cleaned under there good enough.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:28 AM   #7527
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Quote:
One is leaking. I have cleaned it and its still leaking. Badly enough to puddle up on the ground.

I know how it happened. The bike came with those neoprene seal saver things and when I cut them off when I realized I had a leak they were caked with dirt and grit. I don't guess I cleaned under there good enough.
Ok.

Bummer-puddling means the fluid levels are wacked...best corrected after a teardown.

Synergy seals has an updated seal kit.

It sounds like you know about the business card\camera film cleaning trick??
Old 02-21-2009, 07:37 AM   #7528
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoovsHoovs
Ok.

Bummer-puddling means the fluid levels are wacked...best corrected after a teardown.

Synergy seals has an updated seal kit.

It sounds like you know about the business card\camera film cleaning trick??
Yup, I like film. I got the MSR kit from ProMoto yesterday. Anything wrong with that one?

I just went downstairs to check the brand of seal and there is a dime sized puddle under the fork, and the bike got moved yesterday, so that is a fresh spot.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:38 AM   #7529
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

I'll also add in these are the 43mm forks, if that makes a difference.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:54 AM   #7530
WoovsHoovs
RUN SILENT

Quote:
Yup, I like film. I got the MSR kit from ProMoto yesterday. Anything wrong with that one?

I just went downstairs to check the brand of seal and there is a dime sized puddle under the fork, and the bike got moved yesterday, so that is a fresh spot.
Those should be alright?

You'll need a fairly substantial vice-and a seal driver tool-make one out of pvc tubing-good luck Flux!!

Put in quick bleeders if not already.