ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #8596
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Oddometer: 4,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar12
Was that you i was tagging along with on saturday from TWO? thanks for the ride. i'm glad you said something about flatlands, i rode it on the way back to the rally. the tourances were slick, but the gs held it's own and i made it. see ya around.

lonestar
With the 4 of us? Two stroms and 2 XT's? That would be us.

Yeah, it was quite slick on that last part going back over 42 and then by the Ranger station.

Where we were all pumping our tires back up
Smugmug Pics - Save $5: Y2l43o9LVBERU
BlueLghtning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:22 AM   #8597
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Eddie, Nancy, Sarah and I all went and did some DS riding on the FS roads on Saturday. We are doing a TAT trip at the end of May from Jellico, TN to the AR/OK border and we wanted to get some practice in. Both the ladies are new to the DS bikes and Eddie and I wanted to get some off road miles in on the stroms. It ended up being more like playing in the mud since we were in the rain the entire time, sometimes rather heavy, but in the end we all agreed it was a lot of fun.

Eddie had a new set of Tourance/Anakee tires on his bike while I'm a worn out rear Distanza and half worn Bridgestone Trail wing. Regardless, both very street oriented tires proved to be a challenge in the mud. Sarah was on a brand new set of Kenda 270's and Nancy is running on the stock Cheng Shin tires.

We had a good day and led the ladies around the FS roads. Both ladies got to do their first water crossing off of Cooper Creek.

Just some foggy pics from up on 42.

Sarah doing her first water crossing. I forgot to tell her she didn't have to go full throttle. BTW, we had Scala Q2 headsets on so the reason I'm laughing so hard was her reaction coming across. I think I heard my baby say the F word like 2 dozen times as she came across.

Eddie and Nancy

I then borrowed Nancy's XT and took Sarah up a small hill climb. It was slick as anything. She ended getting sideways over one of the whoops and dropping the bike, but she was laughing the whole time. All I heard in my helmet was "She's down!"

This was where the mud came from

This is the 3 of them coming back across. Sarah went a bit slower, but almost too slow this time. She kept it up, not sure how!
Old 05-04-2009, 10:25 AM   #8598
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan

Oddometer: 501
Blue-

I saw you guys at TWO on Sat. I was working the demo's for Moto400. You guys parked next to my 690

By the way, Get a skid plate for those DL650's!!!!

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear

unlawfulsm screwed with this post 05-04-2009 at 10:52 AM
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:31 AM   #8599
mile0321
Recon Marine

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspectorpacket
Following up on JuniorsKTM post. Here are my pics.

We saw plenty of downed trees, I now have a better appreciation for the chainsaw carrying apparatus. We tried briefly to get the 950SE over it and downed the bike, so we turned around.

I just wanted to say thanks to the guys for the ride, I had a great time, but it was kinda like playing golf with Tiger Woods, a bit frustrating at times due to a huge difference in skillz, but overalll a damn good time.

I bet that tree was as slick as snot! Kudos for trying

Sorry I missed the ride fellas...work

Paul...I see you upgraded to the 950...good deal! Putting some more meet on the tires really helped out!
mile0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #8600
beefjerky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,248
Ugh, what a long day that was.

Things to be learned.

A. bring tools, or at least a guy who sells tools with you. Seriously, those are badassed tool kits folks.

2. Working on a triumph sucks. especially in the rain

4. Don't EVER ride in a car with dags. Especially in the rain. Actually, thanks dood, I really appreciated it.

E. No brown liquor

A. wally world rain suits kick ass

B. WillyB is a magician. I've never seen anybody escape a tent that quickly when the zippers are ziptied together.
beefjerky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #8601
Dirtysouth
Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer: 4,857
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor

6- DAGS TO THE RESCUE...

He agreed to make the drive, but only if Coates would be the one to ask him to bring his TRUCK to make the rescue. Coates sucked it up and admitted we needed to truck a bike somewhere.

That's classic .

Good on you Dags for bailing our boy BJ out.
Dirtysouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 AM   #8602
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky
Ugh, what a long day that was.

Things to be learned.

A. bring tools, or at least a guy who sells tools with you. Seriously, those are badassed tool kits folks.

2. Working on a triumph sucks. especially in the rain

4. Don't EVER ride in a car with dags. Especially in the rain. Actually, thanks dood, I really appreciated it.

E. No brown liquor

A. wally world rain suits kick ass

B. WillyB is a magician. I've never seen anybody escape a tent that quickly when the zippers are ziptied together.

Funn stuff, but Jen says Lesson One should be "Don't park your bike on soft ground when its raining... dumbass." That's my girl!

Those metal fittings are sold at Team Triumph, I'm working on getting a link.

How DID Willy B escape the zip tied tent so quickly? And while smoking a cigarette no less!
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 11:35 AM   #8603
BlueLghtning
Riding is my passion

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlawfulsm
Blue-

I saw you guys at TWO on Sat. I was working the demo's for Moto400. You guys parked next to my 690

By the way, Get a skid plate for those DL650's!!!!
Hey Unlawful, that was us. We stopped there for a bit before heading back down FS42 and going back towards Woodstock. I wish I could put a 690 in my garage!

I definitely need a skid plate. I had one on my first DL650. Still need to farkle this one.
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #8604
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,098
Quote:
Oh no we aren't....

Oh yeah, we did! that water a running pretty damn fast coming from the far end and was really freakin deep! This was the highlight of my day honestly, a water crossing of this size, speed etc had me really questioning my abilities, but no swimming this time

Since it seems that being in the presence of Frank, towing a 9fiddy seems to be common place, you might want to pick up some of this 1" Military Spec Webbing from REI, you can get 25ft of it for about $10, and we need it, it was $10 very well spent, and I almost did not pack it.

I low sided going around a downed tree and the stupid pig would not start...dang nabbit, freakin time for a canisterectomy. It started raining on us so, I got out the webbing and Frank hooked me up and hauled my butt out of the forest.

Tie the webbing to the tail plate of the tow bike and the other end to the footpeg of the bike being towed and ride a bit offset, works like a charm, and when we hit ashpalt it was easy to pull/jump start with the bike in 3rd gear it jumped right off... Sorry no pics, it was raining like a beeacth.

This was the last water crossing of the day, here is our tour guide showing me the way...

I am sure there are many details that I missed. The call for help from Brown was due to another highside tip over in some singletack wet stuff that I fubar'ed. We could not get the bike to start and the battery starting sounding like it was on it's way to the grave. We were in the middle of no where and I was starting to contemplate WTF we gonna do next ? Well a little luck and cool heads prevailed and we just waited it out and let the gas evaporate, and it finally started.

I just wanted to say thanks to the guys for the ride, I had a great time, but it was kinda like playing golf with Tiger Woods, a bit frustrating at times due to a huge difference in skillz, but overalll a damn good time.

Looks like you guys had a blast playing in all that water.

Sorry I missed it.

http://www.amazon.com/Airtex-AIRTEX-...1465807&sr=8-2

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:39 PM   #8605
mile0321
Recon Marine

Oddometer: 224
test
mile0321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 12:40 PM   #8606
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,874
Question

Where is this?
...I don't want to accidentally wander down that road in the rain on my "street bike"

Quote:

Oh no we aren't....

Oh yeah, we did! that water a running pretty damn fast coming from the far end and was really freakin deep! This was the highlight of my day honestly, a water crossing of this size, speed etc had me really questioning my abilities, but no swimming this time
Old 05-04-2009, 02:05 PM   #8607
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,586
So we had a little excitement at work first thing this morning.

I am just happy to still have a job right now. Thank you very much.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #8608
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beefjerky

Things to be learned.

Yo DOGs, just a heads up for anyone interested... we're giving 10% off on the Blue Ridge Racing kits. Here's the link: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=460830 That's the last of the for awhile, I swear.
Old 05-04-2009, 03:28 PM   #8609
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Dang Clay, what happened????
Old 05-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #8610
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by flux_capacitor
Dang Clay, what happened????

Not sure exactly yet. The fire marshal comes tomorrow.

We are thinking a pinhole leak in a propane line arcing to an electrical source. The only thing hot in that area was the 12 volt alarm panel. Everything else was not hooked up yet.

Lot of if's happened this morning.

If the carpenters had not moved their tools to the mechanical room Friday they would not have been standing there when the arc happened this morning at 7:45

If they did not realize it was a propane line problem and shut off the propane.

If the 10 or so rock masons decided to stay home because it was going to rain no one would have been there to haul water in buckets from the lake.

If the house was not being built on the lake.

If we did not have our painting respirators there to block the smoke just enough to throw buckets of water on the fire.

If I did not work with a bunch of kick ass contractors and their employees.

A 4 million dollar house would be sitting on the ground and I as well as my 5 employees would be franticaly searching for work.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is online now   Reply With Quote