ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #11776
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,173
Day after Christms in the mountains.

Hey y'all. I went for a nice little run on Saturday. I am pretty new to this dual sporting business. I come from a background racing road bicycles. The human powered kind. I've been exploring the Chattahoochee forest when time allows (I have a new baby at home). Not knowing much, I am going through google maps and looking for unpaved through roads. The strategy works pretty well.

One shortcoming of google maps is that it doesn't tell you where trees are blocking the road. Alone, on my Beast, I didn't want to drive into the ditch to get around this tree. I could have ridden through if I took my pannier off but it didn't occur to me at the time. Do any of you travel with a bow saw? It seems like an obvious tool to have with you in the forest. When I used to live in the forest, I always had a chainsaw in my truck. Don't know why it didn't occur to me in advance really.

Here I made it to the Forest Service roads. This is Winding Star Gap Rd. (aka FS-70 or 77 I think). I didn't see another motorcycle anywhere off road. I rode by some mountain bikes but that was it.

My route.

This was the maiden voyage for my new TKC 80s. I mounted them a couple weeks ago on a sub freezing morning. Breaking the rear bead of a frozen tire was tough as nails. Anyway, these tires were great. The stock tires really lacked confidence off road where these things had me rolling up the mountain in 4th gear. Good times.

Keep the rubber side down, guys and dolls.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #11777
Trucku2
DRZ 400 S/SM

Oddometer: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjoster
Hey y'all. I went for a nice little run on Saturday. I am pretty new to this dual sporting business. I come from a background racing road bicycles. The human powered kind. I've been exploring the Chattahoochee forest when time allows (I have a new baby at home). Not knowing much, I am going through google maps and looking for unpaved through roads. The strategy works pretty well.

One shortcoming of google maps is that it doesn't tell you where trees are blocking the road. Alone, on my Beast, I didn't want to drive into the ditch to get around this tree. I could have ridden through if I took my pannier off but it didn't occur to me at the time. Do any of you travel with a bow saw? It seems like an obvious tool to have with you in the forest. When I used to live in the forest, I always had a chainsaw in my truck. Don't know why it didn't occur to me in advance really.

Here I made it to the Forest Service roads. This is Winding Star Gap Rd. (aka FS-70 or 77 I think). I didn't see another motorcycle anywhere off road. I rode by some mountain bikes but that was it.

My route.

This was the maiden voyage for my new TKC 80s. I mounted them a couple weeks ago on a sub freezing morning. Breaking the rear bead of a frozen tire was tough as nails. Anyway, these tires were great. The stock tires really lacked confidence off road where these things had me rolling up the mountain in 4th gear. Good times.

Keep the rubber side down, guys and dolls.

I was on that same road yesterday, but I was in my truck. I just went around the tree, if you keep going there is a cool little river crossing down the road.
Trucku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #11778
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucku2
I was on that same road yesterday, but I was in my truck. I just went around the tree, if you keep going there is a cool little river crossing down the road.
How did you get around it? There was maybe 10 inches of road and then a 2 foot deep ditch. Did you straddle the ditch?

When I was looking at the route, I thought there would be a crossing based on a blue line creek on the map. I was hopeful but got turned away before I got there.
Old 12-28-2009, 10:51 AM   #11779
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
Didja ever get those knobbies for the Vespa?

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #11780
Trucku2
DRZ 400 S/SM

Oddometer: 8
I just put the left side tires in the ditch and stayed as close to the tree as possible. It was steep, but I did not have any problems getting back on the road. I was not sure how deep the little river was but It was deeper that what I though it would be. On the bright side, it did not come up past the doors.
Trucku2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:59 AM   #11781
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by phideaux
Didja ever get those knobbies for the Vespa?
Not yet. Motorcycle-Superstore is out of stock.

I need to get some for my G650x though. After riding these TKCs, the idea of riding on the Tourances is pretty unappealing. Fine on the freeway, infinitely better off road. You should get some for your GS and try a little dirt. It might appeal to you with better rubber.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #11782
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucku2
On the bright side, it did not come up past the doors.
It didn't come up to the doors did it? I like to keep my axles out of the water. I'm old fashioned that way.
Old 12-28-2009, 11:04 AM   #11783
phideaux
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,207
I don't think those little biddy Vespa tires will fit on my GS!

Mrs. Phideaux to her octogenarian friend when the granny wants to know if she can sit on one of my bikes:

"It's Okay, they only fall over when HE'S on them."

North GA Tag-O-Rama Map
Georgia Tag-O-Rama Map
phideaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #11784
TRitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
Anyone up for a ride Tuesday?

Joster... fwiw ,, I just replaced TKC80s front/rear on my 1200. Loved 'em on and off road but was lucky to get 3k out of the rear... I replaced the front with another TKC but put a Heidenau K60 on the rear... So far I really like the Heidi,,very similar to the TKC and only slightly less agressive tread. I hope to get an extra 2-3k out of the Heidi rear based on some of the threads I've read ...

Quote:
After riding these TKCs, the idea of riding on the Tourances is pretty unappealing. Fine on the freeway, infinitely better off road. You should get some for your GS and try a little dirt. It might appeal to you with better rubber.
TRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #11785
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Ritt
I hope to get an extra 2-3k out of the Heidi rear based on some of the threads I've read ...
I suspect F800GS gets better tire mileage than the 1200 based on it's weight. I will be taking note of the mileage I get.

Where are you going on Tuesday? Can a green rider on a Beast follow?
Old 12-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #11786
TRitt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
You bet ... I'm still new to the NGa mountains myself so I'll probably stick to what I know ... Kickstand up 10am from Dawsonville Circle ( south side parking lot where 9 and 53 join) .. Then head up via Nimblewill ... I'm definately open to following a new route if one of the veteran riders join in ... ( I've been wanting to get over to Talladaga Nat'l forest in Al. ,,, but maybe another time .. ) ..

Quote:
Where are you going on Tuesday? Can a green rider on a Beast follow?

TRitt screwed with this post 12-28-2009 at 01:14 PM
TRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #11787
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,875
Caution:

The following post is RR pron for DeBandi

You were warned.

After grabbing the TAG in the SC Tag-O-Rama today I decided to explore.....

this....

....led to this....

...so I climbed up top to get a better look at this....

...and almost got hit by this!

This message has been brought to you by a bag smashing fool
Old 12-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #11788
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Yikes, that could have been scary depending on who little you were paying attention and how bad your hearing is after years of riding motorcycles.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:47 PM   #11789
knybanjo
kinda slow

Oddometer: 22,875
Quote:
Yikes, that could have been scary depending on who little you were paying attention and how bad your hearing is after years of riding motorcycles.
Hearing? I've been working around jet aircraft and diesel ground equipment for 25 years!

I actually felt the vibes in my feet while standing in the middle of the bridge....I had plenty of time, at least 2 or 3 seconds.
Old 12-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #11790
flux_capacitor OP
I know a shortcut!

Oddometer: 9,597
Banjo, looks like a cool riding area.

Tom Ritt, the "Dawsonville Circle" is not Hwy 9 and 53, at least not if it's the traffic circle/roundabout I'm thinking of. That is Dawson Forest Rd (Hwy 318) and Hopewell Rd/Lumpkin Campground Rd (which was the old Hwy 9 before the current one was built). Anyway, just so folks trying to meet you don't get confused.
flux_capacitor is offline   Reply With Quote