User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2007, 05:57 PM   #1
Fitero OP
Just One of Billions

Oddometer: 223
Walk around impressions of 2007 Triumph Tiger

I got a chance to see the first new Tiger that arrived at my local dealer today. I've got to say, I was impressed!
I'll write down some of my thoughts, but bear with me...I'm no writer!

To me, it looks pretty bad in the photos. Mainly, the seat, which looks like a saddle from a horse, and that plastic appendage below the exhaust manifold, whose lines flow with what? Ugh. In person, the plastic thing looks as if it belongs.
The seat suprised by being flatter, and with more fore and aft room than appears in the photos. (I wear 34" inseam pants) I doubt the passenger portion is as comfortable, but I didn't try to sit there.

The finish of the bike is quite good, with nice stainless-steel plates and fasteners all over.
The chrome steel handlebar is the only chrome thing on this bike, or so it appears, and as such, doesn't belong. The curve of the bars is perfect though. I'd put some machined risers and powder-coat the OEM bar.

There are cheap, stamped steel rubber mount washers beneath the risers, that stick out like a sore thumb. Easy enough to change.

The bar-end weights, are nice machined stainless-steel affairs. Nicely done. Even the switches and housings look the part.
Good mirrors too.

The front fender is thick, resistant plastic, and feels as if it will take some abuse,
The handlebar wiring conduit is cheap, and looks it too. Fairly easy to change out as well.
There is tape wrapped wiring, that runs along the inside of the fairing, that is cheap as well. Good quality split-loom would take care of this. The coolant over-flow bottle is tucked into a corner of the inner fairing too, which is not the most attractive design...but whatever.

The rear shock can be adjusted,...just not as quickly as those on some other bikes. Most of us spend some time setting up the bike when new, and then forget about the damn thing after that, so this won't be an issue for most of us... A gross generalization I know, but once upon a time, I owned a motorcycle shop, and saw this hundreds of times. Nuff said.

So, I wonder if the gearbox is really so lame as I have read?

I also sat on the new BMW R1200R...and a KTM 950SM... and a Buell Ulysses...today too. Oh yeah, and a Ducati Multistrada...that's it, I promise.

Both my wife and I wonder which bike I will be buying soon!

Plus, I had a nice ride on my Gran Canyon as well.

Regards,
Peter
Fitero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,484
Quote:
I also sat on the new BMW R1200R...and a KTM 950SM... and a Buell Ulysses...today too. Oh yeah, and a Ducati Multistrada...that's it, I promise.

Both my wife and I wonder which bike I will be buying soon!

Plus, I had a nice ride on my Gran Canyon as well.

Regards,
Peter

Thanks for the opinion on the Tiger. I've been curious about this new version.

Sounds like you had a pretty good day hanging out with new motorcycles!

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 06:28 PM   #3
SQD8R
Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer: 7,361
Thx. Excellent review. I think Triumph made the right choice.
Married men don't live longer, it just seems longer.
Sour grapes are a lesser man's fruit.
SQD8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2007, 07:55 PM   #4
ka5ysy
Doug

Oddometer: 813
Laugh

Whatever you do, don't ride the R1200R, or you will be bringing it home. I know of this problem first hand.
ka5ysy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:57 AM   #5
Fitero OP
Just One of Billions

Quote:
Originally Posted by ka5ysy
Whatever you do, don't ride the R1200R, or you will be bringing it home. I know of this problem first hand.

Yeah, I hear those 85 ft/lbs of torque calling my name....but I'm resisting so far... uh.. the seat is too low... yeah that's it....
Old 01-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
squid vicious
weak sauce

Oddometer: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero
Yeah, I hear those 85 ft/lbs of torque calling my name....but I'm resisting so far... uh.. the seat is too low... yeah that's it....
Well then, for the love of god, DON'T ride the multistrada 1K.....
squid vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2007, 07:31 PM   #7
Fitero OP
Just One of Billions

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid vicious
Well then, for the love of god, DON'T ride the multistrada 1K.....
I, uh did that, just before getting rid of my BMW R1150RT, but couldn't swing the Multistrada at the time.
Which, is why I got the Gran Canyon instead. I've been haunting the Duc dealer since then.

Yesterday, while hovering around the new Tiger, one of the curious, opened his mouth and began spewing forth banal stupidities, mostly about his several Ducatis, vast money and expansive knowledge.... I politely kept my mouth shut... not even a laugh or a dry heave.
Then, I went to the Ducati dealer, and spoke, or rather listened to the manager, who launched into a similar litany. What absolute crap!
This same vapor-ware between the ears mentality is what made me close down my Harley shop and close that chapter of my life. I didn't know that Ducati was associated with that type of elitest, empty posturing BS so prevalent in the Harley society. Ignorant, idealistic me!
Anyway, sorry for the tirade.... touched a nerve.
So, I think that I might pass on the Duc.
I rode up to Vancouver this morning and was this close to signing the papers on a left over KTM SM. My wife called and I had to drop everything and zoom home. We'll see what happens next week!

Regards,
Peter
Old 01-08-2007, 12:51 AM   #8
Oilhed
MarkF

Oddometer: 3,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitero
Yesterday, while hovering around the new Tiger, one of the curious, opened his mouth and began spewing forth banal stupidities, mostly about his several Ducatis, vast money and expansive knowledge.... I politely kept my mouth shut... not even a laugh or a dry heave.
Then, I went to the Ducati dealer, and spoke, or rather listened to the manager, who launched into a similar litany. What absolute crap!
This same vapor-ware between the ears mentality is what made me close down my Harley shop and close that chapter of my life. I didn't know that Ducati was associated with that type of elitest, empty posturing BS so prevalent in the Harley society. Ignorant, idealistic me!
Regards,
Peter
HD, Ducati, BMW, they all have a following of idiots. Nothing is as good as what they got. I've even heard it from GSXR riders, too! Then there are those who actually ride....

new bike - BMW R1150GS
old bikes - Ducati ST3 (RIP), BMW R1100R, R75 & R65, Suzuki Bandit 600, Guzzi V65SP, Kawi KLR600, etc.
Oilhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:58 AM   #9
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Sounds like a great day!

Sorry to hear about the Duc babbling.

I too was/am interested in a Multistrada.

Good luck on your next purchase.

Mark H.

AKDuc screwed with this post 01-08-2007 at 02:03 AM
AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #10
Fitero OP
Just One of Billions

Yeah, any day with my knees in the breeze is a good day!

Yesterday, it was poaring rain and blustery out. I even like riding in that too. I enjoy the "man against the elements" type of feeling, if you know what I mean.
I really need some better gloves for this wet weather though...

This hunting, investigating and dreaming stage of the bike purchase is part of the fun for me...

Regards,
Peter
Old 01-10-2007, 12:03 AM   #11
Mike in Oregon
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Thumb Fitero

I just sent you a personal message concerning 950 sm.
Old 03-07-2007, 02:09 PM   #12
SourKraut
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,010
I saw the new Tiger today. Very nice - the seat is wide and makes it harder to put feet down than my 1150GS with Ohlins (33" inseam). I agree that the chrome handle bar has to go - easy enough. Still, this looks like my next purchase - the allure of 110+ hp and 17" wheels for track days, water cooling for long service intervals and it will fit right in with my 1150GS and DR650 as my third dual sport.

Going over in a couple of weeks to ride the demo.... uh oh.
SourKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #13
rous44
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
[quote=Fitero]I, uh did that, just before getting rid of my BMW R1150RT, but couldn't swing the Multistrada at the time.
Which, is why I got the Gran Canyon instead. I've been haunting the Duc dealer since then.

Don't do it!
I went from a Gran Canyon to a Multistrada and shortly thereafter regretted it. Past all the hype and posturing the Cagiva is a better bike. If they still imported them I'd have one in my garage now. As it is I got rid of the Multi and went to 1200gs. Easily twice the bike of the Multistrada, even though BMW hasn't won any Superbike races recently.

"picking up hookers, instead of a pen, the words of my youth slipped away" Waylon Jennings

MX '06 http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176637

MX '07
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278826
rous44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 48,570

I liked it. Not sure if it could replace my 12GS, but it felt nice, and I WILL test ride it one day!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:17 PM   #15
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,900
I'm about to pull the trigger on the Tigger. Maybe...

Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is online now   Reply With Quote