User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM   #451
Lone Rider OP

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistol777
Lonerider I said it before nice trip, Since you are back and may have a few spare moments to answer a couple of questions here goes. You have taken a few trips south of the border on different bikes how does the DR stack up overal all and is there another bike that you would consider thats as easy to handle in the constantly changing conditions from villiages and cities to verying road conditions encountered in Lati America.
Howdy pistol777,

I think one of the hardest things when exploring, unless you've been there before, is really knowing exactly where you want to go and what you want to do with your bike before you start a trip. For me, that uncertainty is very exciting. Your bike can be viewed as a simple method of transport - one that makes you feel and/or look good, in your eyes - and it can also be your lifeline, with it's rider knowing and learning what's reasonably possible as you travel.

There's no one knife that cuts best, nor is there one hat that best shades the sun.

The adjectives like heavy, light, steep, deep, hard, easy, thirsty etc are all subjective. A bike that matches one rider's needs can be the wrong one for another rider. I'll use Vance as an example of how different riders can be, as Big V can throw around a big-ass 1 liter bike much easier than I can a much smaller 650 size bike, and he has much better riding skills that I do.

For exploring the back roads, off the beaten path places, I don't want a heavy (to me) bike. It's easy to pass-up going somewhere because you aren't comfortable taking your bike there, and it's also easy to get in over your head. Judgement is rarely perfect all the time.

A bike that will comfortably cruise at 70mph all day long is one of my requirements. You gotta run some highways. After that, it really comes down to comfort and haul-ability of the junk you want to carry. Can you maintain the bike yourself? If you can't, you'll be tethered and very limited to dealer services, and those can be very scarce. Independence is very important to me.

At times I like a 650, and at other times I'd prefer to be on 200. Where do you compromise? You, along with your skills and desires, can test the limits of your bike, if that's what you chose to do. I'll also say that your desires can sometimes screw up a fine track record of using good judgement.

Light, but also highway ready, is what I like at this time for that part of the world. I'm also a fan of simple air-cooled motors. Taking care, you can ride a 1800 Wing to many tourist places and stay on the paved roads.

It's not the bike; it's really about what you want to do and experience.
Chose a steed - they're all good - and just go.

Lone Rider screwed with this post 09-07-2007 at 08:17 PM
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:08 AM   #452
TwoBuck
Stuck on pavement

Oddometer: 18
Wow

That was outstanding. Thanks.
TwoBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:58 PM   #453
robertothemexican
let´s ride !!

Oddometer: 54
hola...

QUE VIAJE LOW RIDER !!!!

took me hours to read the complete thread, but you took me to all the small villages and to the "real" Mexico!

thanks for that, planning my trip to south mexico and guate..

saludos
Roberto
brute force 750 cc(sold)
robertothemexican is offline   Reply With Quote