Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2007, 06:40 PM   #46
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,905
You understand Mexico pretty well, for a white man, LR.

It's a joke, huh?
Lobby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 07:49 PM   #47
Flyingavanti
With the Redhead on Back!

Oddometer: 1,545
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
Bike travel = the drug.
Gaspipe has it 100% correct!

You need to stop this trip NOW!

You will start with the small trips (like Mary Jane), but you will need bigger and bigger fixes (the equals of cocaine and Heroine).

It is never ending until it has complete control over everything in your life!

And "you will never be able to stop the traveling". There is no fix!

It looks like you are already the VICTIM of this non-reverible illness. My heart bleeds from you! So very very sorry......

I could go on and on about this illness... but I am in the process of packing my bags to head back to South America (to get another short term fix to this illness).

Good Luck on YOUR addiction...............

Over 27,000 miles in South America -- which is NOT enough!

Here is a link to the South American Ride Report...
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94531

Trip Index Page.... If you are interested in one spot in South America, you can click on this link http://www.ploung.com/south_america.htm and go directly to your point of interest.
www.Ploung.com
Flyingavanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:21 AM   #48
pilot
Slacker Moderator

Oddometer: 31,288
Yes, the disease is real. The longer you go without traveling, the worse the symtoms get. You start making packing lists for trips that have no start date or destination yet. You continue buying gear for the trip, trying to get the ultimate in small and light and compact. You shop for new tents and sleeping bags and stoves and riding gear, and you just can't stop. New bikes come out and you check them to see if you can mount your boxes without too much trouble. Its terrible, I tell you. I have to go now, I need to order tires.

I first had sex at the age of 13. However, my butt hurt so bad I never did it again.
- Mista Vern
pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 09:24 AM   #49
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby
You understand Mexico pretty well, for a white man, LR.

It's a joke, huh?

Racist!

Hey Bob, You crossing into Belize or Guatemala? Put $100 on Chicken Drop # 75 for me regardless, eh.
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 AM   #50
Lone Rider OP

Oddometer: 25,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmwoodys
Hey Bob, You crossing into Belize or Guatemala? Put $100 on Chicken Drop # 75 for me regardless, eh.
Yeah, probably be another week or so. Doing the Yucatan Loop right now.
Mahahual last night, parked in Tulum now, going to check out them say-no-tays, Coba...and some other junk. Might wind up in Playa del Carmen or take a boat over to Cozumel for the night...
Lone Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 AM   #51
Starstriker
www.transasia.se

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot
Yes, the disease is real. The longer you go without traveling, the worse the symtoms get. You start making packing lists for trips that have no start date or destination yet. You continue buying gear for the trip, trying to get the ultimate in small and light and compact. You shop for new tents and sleeping bags and stoves and riding gear, and you just can't stop. New bikes come out and you check them to see if you can mount your boxes without too much trouble. Its terrible, I tell you. I have to go now, I need to order tires.
Well. That is the big mistake most bikers are doing. They spend their dough on gear instead of trips. Save $10000 and you are away. Round the world. Live cheap and spend your money for the trip itself.

During my trip across Asia I spent most of the nights in my tent.

1. Its cheap. You can driver further for your buck
2. Its convenient. No carrying around with gear to your "hotel-room" (if you can call the floor of a café in Siberia a hotelroom)
3. Just stop whenever you had it for the day. No looking around for lodging.
4. Flexibility. No need fot "set" stops.

Thinking of next project. The americas would be really cool after all I have read here. Can you put up your tent where you want?
Old 01-15-2007, 11:38 AM   #52
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 11:43 AM   #53
58chevrolet
n00b

Oddometer: 7
You made a wrong turn. . .

somewhere.

Adios!
58chevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 12:46 PM   #54
cbx1980
THe Un-Cola

Oddometer: 125
LR,

I have travelled to Mexico many times, and I am certainly hooked. People always say "be careful". I say don't be careful, just be smart. Adventure is all about taking a chance.

Be sure and check out the Teotihucan Ruins on your way back. They are to the north of Mexico City.

N19 40.722 W98 51.024

Have a cervesa for me
'08 Kaw KLR650 Blue 21
Tallahassee, FL
www.mexmoto.com

"If you're dumb, you'd better be tuff" from Dust to Glory

"Stay cool, go with the flow, and f*ck it" from Risky Business
cbx1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #55
Bill the Duck
Unwitting Accomplice

Oddometer: 10,854
Howdy LR.

You suck.

Love,

Bill
Old 01-15-2007, 03:47 PM   #56
Hayduke
///SAFETY THIRD///

Oddometer: 43,712
Hey, LR- Enjoy Tulum, and diffinitely check out the ruinas at Coba Can't beat the Grand Cenote, either. I'll be there in 4 weeks...

Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 04:49 PM   #57
Lone Rider OP

I left Cerro Azul with rough plans of reaching Xalapa, or that area of the mountains. What to see and where to ride between here and there was undecided. Maybe El Tajin and Paplantla which I´ve always bypassed on past trips along this leg of Mexico. The idea was to see some new things and not beat myself to death just making miles.

Via Tuxpan/m and the Cuota, I missed Poza Sucka and took the turn-off to Paplantla.

From the river bridge looking towards Tuxpan. No specific reason, but I like this town.

Paplantla is a decent size city and very busy in the downtown area. Built on a hillside, it's residents and shoppers get a good workout.

Looking over Paplantla from top-of-the-town.

This guy keeps watch from the highest lookout in the city. Calling Sweet Spirits? No, not the drinking kind...
The last portion of street to this site must be greater than 30 degrees. You definitely don´t want to stop.

I skipped El Tajin for a couple of reasons - it really wasn´t on my hotlist and I avoid leaving a gear-loaded bike unattended at tourist parking areas. Anyway, twas time to head towards Xalapa and some curvy mountain roads.

Hwy 180 veers over to the Gulf Coast and follows Costa Esmeralda. This is a nice ride with the surf on your left as you pass through some very small beachside vacation towns. I took a short detour out to Tecolutla to see what it was about. Well, small beach resort, many hotels, not over-run with t-shirts shops and the like, but not my cup of tea. Ok, I saw it....

El Torito catching a few rays...

At a Pemex south on Hwy 180, the attendent (and his local helpers) refused a 50 peso note to pay for some Magna Sin. Seems that a clever person used a little too much red ink when producing that bill. Counterfeit, hmm. I recycled the note somewhere during the following two days. It had been in use for a long time, and was very proud.

If you turn right (west) onto the hwy after Casitas, you skip that little toll bridge at Nautla. That wasn´t the purpose, just a thought. This road is fast, wide and you can fly, even in heavy traffic, if you´re willing to make 3-4 lanes from the two that are marked. Land of bananas, limes and oranges. There is a major commercial market in some city on this hwy, both sides, and there must have been well over 100 trucks lined up with their beds lipping full of fuit. Wanna know how many limes will fit in the bed of a Ford Ranger? I didn't ask, but it looked like a lot. Big, modern cargo trucks, along with small rusted Datsuns, inched their way towards a buyer.
I don´t have a map with me and can't recall the next hwy I took south into the mountains, but it's red on the Guia map book and I expected it to be fast. Ha. This road must be run as if playing a game. Twisty as Hell, loaded with pot holes and climbs to some impressive elevation. The scenery is great and I really got into a groove running the bike through mostly 2nd and 3rd gears, then grabbing a fist-full of binders - over and over again. Something like 40 miles felt like it was 100.

I was tired when reaching the top pass and was now in the clouds. It was cold, the Pemex workers were wearing stocking caps, and visibilty reached approx 200 feet. To put the fleece under the riding jacket or not, that was the question. Screw it, let's fill the tank and roll.

Visibilty dropped to about 50' and I worked my way behind a Doble, thinking he knew this road and would safely lead me out of these clouds. No kidding, I couldnt see far enough ahead to pass anýone or thing on this road. The visor was raised. Wiping away the water was distracting and dangerous. No straightaways, only curves with a steep drop on the right to somewhere I didn´t want to go.

We finally popped out and the scenery was now that of high sierras, not the lush, wet look of rainforest that was on the other side. A slight climate change in not so many miles.

Post-cumulus adventure...
The pic sucks, but the church is interesting...to me, anyway. Or maybe I was just thankful in some subconscious way that I was there.

OK, Xalapa.
Old, new, modern, busy, pretty, great year-round climate and some damn twisty main thoroughfares through the city. Nice place, but too crowded for me so I again headed south, more mountains, and to the deadend highway at Xico.

Xico is cool. A real town, colonial, lots of stone streets and I just had a good feeling about it. Where to stay? I wandered around some and went down this really steep street to some hotel and restaurant establishment by a bridge on the river. Looks kinda fancy, probably out of my tight-ass budget. Never hurts too awfully much to ask, right? $18, deal, and I was ready for a cerveza or more.

...smugmug must be down right now...more pics tomorrow....

The search for Joan Wilder....

Lone Rider screwed with this post 01-16-2007 at 11:01 AM
Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM   #58
Lone Rider OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke
Hey, LR- Enjoy Tulum, and diffinitely check out the ruinas at Coba Can't beat the Grand Cenote, either. I'll be there in 4 weeks...
I was there about mid day today. Headed to Coba and it was raining, storm out of the east, and I didn.t want to ride with it. Also wanted to hit Grand Cenote, actually stopped under that large tree out front while deciding what to do.

Rode north, now on Isla Mujeres, and will catch Coba after Isla Holbox...probably.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #59
CMWoody
Banned

Oddometer: 5,248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Rider
Isla Mujeres,
Soooo...Why do they call it that?
CMWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #60
Vance
Banned

Oddometer: 18,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starstriker
Well. That is the big mistake most bikers are doing. They spend their dough on gear instead of trips. Save $10000 and you are away. Round the world. Live cheap and spend your money for the trip itself.

During my trip across Asia I spent most of the nights in my tent.

1. Its cheap. You can driver further for your buck
2. Its convenient. No carrying around with gear to your "hotel-room" (if you can call the floor of a café in Siberia a hotelroom)
3. Just stop whenever you had it for the day. No looking around for lodging.
4. Flexibility. No need fot "set" stops.

Thinking of next project. The americas would be really cool after all I have read here. Can you put up your tent where you want?
Yes.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote