Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
guymcfly OP
Banned

Oddometer: 953
Question ktm exc radiator fan...how to wire it up?

A few people have mentioned that instead of buying a ktm radiator fan...for about $250 Aus, you can buy a good pc fan that really moves the air for about $40.00.
Alrite, so I've seen them at computer shops, and can easily mount 1 on my rad guards...and put a switch in line so I don't run the battery dry...

But WHERE can I connect it up? I'm thinking that if you can simply add the KTM ones in, then somewhere there is a plug point or something that I can patch my pc fan into...?

Can any1 tell me where its located?...a pic would be just spiffing chaps!

Thanx to all on these forums that offer a good rider (so I'm told) but a shit mechanic (also told) their advice.
guymcfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 06:26 AM   #2
skeeter
Captain Safety

Oddometer: 1,872
I'm not sure how a PC fan would hold up if it gets wet. You could probably make a fan from any motorcycle work if you have the room to mount it. Do you have any motorcycle salvage yards nearby?
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I just ordered the fan kit for my 07 450 EXC , fan ,thermostst switch and wiring , $90 bucks from my KTM dealer . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 04:40 AM   #4
guymcfly OP
Banned

that last post was really helpful...
Old 04-10-2007, 05:29 AM   #5
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
I am sure it comes with instructions , I will let you know as soon as I see them . I see the thermostat switch port in the right radiator so I know where that goes . You can buy the thermo switch seperatly from KTM , around 30 bucks . It is the same as the 950 . the terminal pins are unusuall so it would sure be nice to have a wiring harness with it . I zip tyed a small plastic bottle to the right radiator guard and ran the overflow hose into it for a water catch tank and that helps a bunch . I am a little disapointed at all the mods I am having to do to make this bike dependable , it is a KTM , they are supposed to come ready to race . I haven't checked anything in the electricle system yet but I do like the fact that nothing comes on with the switch till the motor is started
Dont ask for photos , I can make my bike do what I want but this computor stuff sucks . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 05:32 AM   #6
thouk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
Guy,
It would help if you told us what type of bike you have. I have installed the ktm fan on my bike, xr650r. It had a dualsport kit already installed. Is your bike set up for dc? If not you are going to have to set up for dc. Most fans run off of dc. Pm me for answers if that does not help. Tony

May God look upon you as you ride with Jesus with the Holy Spirit in your heart.
thouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Red_Chili
Fresh Ground

Oddometer: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymcfly
A few people have mentioned that instead of buying a ktm radiator fan...for about $250 Aus, you can buy a good pc fan that really moves the air for about $40.00.
Alrite, so I've seen them at computer shops, and can easily mount 1 on my rad guards...and put a switch in line so I don't run the battery dry...

But WHERE can I connect it up? I'm thinking that if you can simply add the KTM ones in, then somewhere there is a plug point or something that I can patch my pc fan into...?

Can any1 tell me where its located?...a pic would be just spiffing chaps!

Thanx to all on these forums that offer a good rider (so I'm told) but a shit mechanic (also told) their advice.
I too bought the KTM fan for the XR650R after researching moisture resistant fans for electronic applications. They are cheap in comparison, but won't move as much air as the KTM unit. I agree $250 AUD is outrageous. Can you contact an online KTM parts distributor who can ship directly to you? One fella with a Buell got parts that way quite a bit more cheaply than his Oz dealer could.

You will need DC, which could be only a rectifier away. Tap the headlight wires into the AC input of a simple bridge rectifier, and you're there. No knowledge of KTMs in particular though, sorry.
'97 KDX 220 for woods work
SMUGMUG COUPON RSKbiM6oytjtw, save some money and have a great online picture gallery!
Red_Chili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 09:03 AM   #8
MrMike
No self control

Oddometer: 785
Plug in

I just put the fan kit on my '07 exc. On mine there was a factory plug next to the coil. It was the only one there that didn't have anything plugged in to it. It is hot all the time because after I plugged it in I touched the two thermo switch wires together and the fan ran.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:54 AM   #9
guymcfly OP
Banned

just a bit more on this...I posted this on another forum...and the word is, buy a Delta ultra hi output pc fan...92x25mm with an 8w draw...

The guy who posted me back said you save a heap of money, it runs way quieter, it draws far less power and thus saves your battery, and he's had it on over a year, has had leaves/twigs jam it, its been directly pressure washed...and its still going strong!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:58 AM   #10
guymcfly OP
Banned

BTW, bike is a 2006 250 exc-f...thanx again to all of you who have replied...
Old 04-11-2007, 07:35 AM   #11
skidxr
Excuses

Oddometer: 374
You can totally use a PC fan.. You will want to convert to DC power by having the stator either re-wound or by floating the groung. You have a DC plug under the tank by the coil already. You may run the battery down though depending on how often it comes on if you don't do the DC mod.
skidxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 03:08 AM   #12
guymcfly OP
Banned

From another website I posted the same question on...

I'm running a Delta Ultra High Output 92x25mm cpu fan but I'm still in the testing phase: I'm still in the testing phase because it's been on the bike now for well over a year and it's still running strong. I've directly pressure washed it, it's been packed with mud many times, jammed with small sticks, jammed with leaves, and has held up to any abuse I've thrown its way. It flows 90 cfm which cannot be too far off of what the stock fan flows. I know it runs about the same amount of time before shutting off as the stock KTM Hardparts fan was running, and it does it with only an 8w draw which is less than 1/4 of what the KTM fan draws. The first 50cfm cpu fan I tried ran quite a bit more than the KTM fan.