Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
blazer OP
Vote Blazer for President

Oddometer: 2,843
Idaho Info Needed

Hello,

I am planning a trip for the spring from WI to PDX and want to run from Yellowstone across Idaho to Hells Canyon National Rec Area. Normally when I have made this trip, I am much further north and cross Idaho between Missoula and Spokane.

I would like to know what kind of roads, conditions and services I can expect this route. Specifically, I want to go Hwy 28 to US 93 to Hwy 75 to Hwy 21 to Hwy 55 and in to Hells Canyon. It looks more interesting than going I15 to I84.

Thanks,
B-

I'd be President if Obama didn't win!
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:03 PM   #2
habanero
Multistradler & LC4player

Oddometer: 95
Those are all very nice roads through gorgeous country..

I might suggest that when you cross from Idaho into Oregon at Hell's Canyon....that you cross here:

then take the route up into the Wallowa's, this is a beautiful corner of Oregon that few frequent. The road from 86 up to Joseph is spectacular on a bike. It's actually a paved Forest Service road that is minimally maintained...very twisty.

habanero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Live2Ride
Not Famous

Oddometer: 3,801
You could always take hwy 12 out of Missoula over Lolo pass to Lewiston, then south on hwy 95......
Old 01-10-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
LewisNClark
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 964
Headed that way myself next week

One of my favorite routes is south of Dillon, Montana about 60 miles (of dirt road) to little crossroad called Grant, then right at Grant on to the famous Lewis & Clark Trail called Lemhi Pass (about 60 miles of dirt). Unbelievably scenic. Half way across is Frying Pan Creek Road that is another 40 miles of rough scenic dirt roads. Eventually Lemhi Pass runs into Salem Idaho. Watch of elk on the left side of Lemhi Pass.

Second road is: 40 miles north of Salem, Idaho to Gibbons Pass (also famous Lewis and Clark Trail route). Not marked with any road signs but going north turn left at "downtown" Gibbonsville on to good dirt road. You'll see a hermit named Bill half way over Gibons Pass (nice friendly hermit) Bunches of Mountain Goats, occasional Moose. Very historical trail that eventually takes you to Wisdom, Mt.
LewisNClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:24 PM   #5
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
Moving to the Regional Forums.
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:59 PM   #6
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,098
Hello Blazer, I am going to make an assumption you would stick to paved roads, but first you stated in the spring. I would not want to hit Yellowstone much before end of May some higher elevations may have snow problems.

Now, Great idea, some really beautiful scenery are you in a hurry or enjoying the journey? If I were not in a hurry Yellowstone down through Grand Teton National on HY 191 at Jackson WY turn on to HY 22 through to Victor, Tetonia, Rexburg. Take HY 20 out of Idaho Falls to see the very first Atomic reactor ever built "EBR-1" outside of Arco, then take 20 to Crater of the Moon must see area.

Stay on 20 until you hit I 84 at Mountain Home and a boring freeway ride for about 80 mile to Payette take 95 North to Cambridge turn onto HY 71 30 miles of fun filled twisties and drop from 4200 ft to 2100 in about 6 miles Oh yea watch for the turkey and deer.

If your in a hurry you can ride I 15 to 86 to 84 all the way across but you'll really miss what Idaho is about, (did you see the movie "Cars")

I believe you cannot go wrong with habaneros mapped route beautiful out of Homestead through Enterprise, but if you venture the other way many people miss out the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center really worth the stop give yourself about an hour to an hour and a half there. Baker City itself is worth the drive through it once was the cultural center of the region in the 1880's numerous old Victorian Homes there.

You will no problems with services gas/food, once in Hells Canyon there a to many to count campgrounds to stay at cheap with showers.
My favorite
http://www.idahopower.com/riversrec/.../mccormick.htm

Ok you all in Oregon wade in

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Kodanja
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Hey Blazer, sounds like a great trip! Try this route. Wonderful roads...good pavement. Could be snow in the higher elevations....check the road reports as you get closer. The views of the Sawtooth mountains outside Stanley are incredible as are the Tetons in Jackson Hole. I would stay off hwy 20...much of it is straight and boring. Also one might fall asleep on interstate 84 from Mountain home to Boise.

This route ends at Oxbow Dam on the Snake River....Idaho/Oregon border. Then head to Joseph, Oregon.

After this route use the route shared by Habenero, beautiful country. The paved fireroad is very twisty yet slower.

Be safe
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #8
blazer OP
Vote Blazer for President

Oddometer: 2,843
Wow guys! That is some great info and suggestions! All of this is so much better than taking I90 (where I think you take your life in your own hands).

Thanks a lot for the time you took!

B-

I'd be President if Obama didn't win!
blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:09 PM   #9
EnduroJoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
I did a similar trip. Yellowstone didn't do mutch for me but MT-509 was a great road, although some dirt sections may be slick in the spring. Your route sounds good. Ketchum was congested when I rode through.
EnduroJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #10
MotoKat
Whine Cooler.

Oddometer: 29,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodanja
Hey Blazer, sounds like a great trip! Try this route. Wonderful roads...good pavement. Could be snow in the higher elevations....check the road reports as you get closer. The views of the Sawtooth mountains outside Stanley are incredible as are the Tetons in Jackson Hole. I would stay off hwy 20...much of it is straight and boring. Also one might fall asleep on interstate 84 from Mountain home to Boise.

This route ends at Oxbow Dam on the Snake River....Idaho/Oregon border. Then head to Joseph, Oregon.

After this route use the route shared by Habenero, beautiful country. The paved fireroad is very twisty yet slower.

Be safe
This is a good route, but if time isn't a huge factor, I'd skip going to Banks from Lowman and go to Boise through Idaho City then up to Horseshoe Bend. But either way, the ride is going to be is good
MotoKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 04:49 PM   #11
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,710
Take my route,take my route....ha ha ha...funny. You can't go wrong in Idaho. What do you like to ride thru? Desert, farmlands, mountain valleys, twisty roads or straight, freeways or dirt.

For me the nicest ride across south Idaho is Salmon to Idaho City. From there to Banks or Boise. Lemhi Pass is doable ona street bike. It is now paved thru Grant to the turn off to Lemhi Pass. Probably 30+ mi. of smooth single lane road. It is narrow and twisty, but not slow, slow. About an hour to cross. Do stop at the Tendoy store/post office. Get Viola to talking. Lots of history there.

Dillon to Wisdom to Lost Trail Pass (hwy 93) is a nice ride. 5000ft.+ High cattle valleys, hay and cows is all there is, and antelope.

From Dubois and Rexburg west to Boise along the freeway is all flat irrigated farmlands. Taters, onions, and beans. North of the freeway is desert all the way to the mountains.

I spent a week riding the eastern edge of Idaho this last fall. For the most part the roads are boring. Lots of commuter 2-lane. Lots of "mansions" being built here and people working in Idaho Falls and Pocatello. Driggs to Swan Valley is a very beautiful area. Grassy valleys, birch/aspen, big mountains to the east. Soda Springs to Montpelier more farm/ranch oriented valleys.

Craters of the Moon...I like it, some don't. It is out in the middle of nowhere. Blackfoot to Arco was the Goodall Cutoff Trail, an alternate of the Oregon Trail. This is desert. I recommend riding early in the morn or late evening. The shadows make it interesting. Eat at Pickles and stay at KD's, cheap, clean, and homey. Craters is best in am or pm.(the light is better)

Craters to Ketchum is sort of ho hum. Bellevue has a nice Mexican restaurant. North of Ketchum takes you over Galena Pass. This is one of those great scenic passes.

That is a short version of my ride report. (I'm working on it!) I've been every where, man, I've been every where. At least in Idaho. I did near every paved road in Idaho this last fall. All 44 counties. A bit over two weeks.

The Wallowa is great. Do use the route suggested. I have not been into the Oregon Trail Museum at Baker, but if it is like the one in Montpelier it is a must stop. Montpelier was maybe my favorite museum of all time. The Museum in Murray Idaho is next. Total opposites.

Any more questions? Feel free to ask.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:59 PM   #12
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,409
Hi,

Habanero has a good route!
Been up that way at least twice.

Just remember to stop at the Terminal Gravity Brewery in Enterprise,OR if you are a fan of the foamy beverage.Award winning beers and good grub too.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:18 PM   #13
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,832
Take the Klienshmidt Grade down into Oregon in Hells Canyon !
And dont miss lunch at the Hells Canyon Roadhouse in Imnaha Ore. Its a must-do !

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 03:14 AM   #14
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,903
Drove that

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer
Hello,

I am planning a trip for the spring from WI to PDX and want to run from Yellowstone across Idaho to Hells Canyon National Rec Area. Normally when I have made this trip, I am much further north and cross Idaho between Missoula and Spokane.

I would like to know what kind of roads, conditions and services I can expect this route. Specifically, I want to go Hwy 28 to US 93 to Hwy 75 to Hwy 21 to Hwy 55 and in to Hells Canyon. It looks more interesting than going I15 to I84.

Thanks,
B-
We drove from Yellowstone at 8:30 am, took the exact route you are looking at, stopping at Craters of the Moon, lunch in Arco next to the Submarine , Sun Valley right when dozens of jets were flying in for the rich guy get together, Sawtooths , Stanley, ( cutting from Lowman through Garden Valley to 55, and had dinner in Mccall at 7:30 pm, north to Lewiston for us then. Beautiful drive with every type of landscape you could wish for.
I am going to be learning some of the Hells Canyon area this spring on a trip in May. link ,

Keep watching for thetourist's ride report.
Idarider is offline   Reply With Quote