Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2007, 05:49 PM   #1
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,315
"How To" repair Pelican case's evil style....

I had mentioned in another thread that I would document how I went about repairing a pair of Pelican case's I bought cheap on E-gay a few days ago.Be warned now that this is lengthy,and pretty detailed.This will be a 3 part documentary,the first section will be about repairing the holes,the second about refinishing them,and the third will be about building some racks and mounting the cases.So with that said,here goes.

I got the cases today,and this is how the arived,

They were dirty,so the first thing I did was clean them with a de-greaser,and then some dish soap.Be sure to rinse them very good,and let them dry.This one is now clean and ready to work on......

Here you can see one of the many holes that need to be repaired before they can be used.

The next step,is to rough up the inside area where your repai work will be done.I used a die-grinder with a 36 gril roloc disc to get the surface lower than the rest of the area.I strongly recomend you use saftey glasses,and a paper mask,the dust in your mouth sucks!
more.................
Old 01-10-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

after getting the surface beveled doen a ways,I then used ome 80 grit sandpaper to remove all the fuzzy edges.I have all the air tools to do this job,but hand tools and elbo grease will work too,its just slower.
after the 80 grit,I wiped the repair areas with a solvent cleaner.......

After the cleaner drys,the next step is to spray "adhesion promoter" to the areas that are getting repaired.Allways start the repair with the the back side of the repair area.I used the 3-M automix system,and before 3-M will warranty the repair,you must use 3-M adhesion promoter(part#5907).It is in a spray can,and a light coat is all you need.
more.......
Old 01-10-2007, 06:07 PM   #3
Bob
Formerly H20Pumper

Oddometer: 2,368
What kind of bug in the background?
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:10 PM   #4
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

next,I pre cut some reinforcement patches,(part #4904).The patch needs to overlap the hole by 1/4 to 1/2 an inch......

after all the patches are cut to fit,I then tape up the front side of the holes,so that when the bonding matterial is applyed,it doesnt run out the hole,do this to all areas to be repaired............

now you are ready to apply the reinforcement patches.The are sticky on one side,so stick them where you need them.Only holes larger than a dime need the reinforcement patch,but if you can kill two birds with one stome,why not.

more to come.....
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM   #5
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

I then applyed the 3-M semi rigid plastic repair(part #4240).You need a special gun to use this stuff,but they are cheap,and once you know how to use this stuff,you find all kinds of uses for it.the work time on this stuff is pretty fast,so I didnt get any pics of me applying the product.I just put more than Im going to need on,because I can allways take some off after it drys.While it is still workable,use a spreader to push it past the reinforcement patchand flush with the tape on the outside.

Leave the tape on the outside!If you try to remove the tape before the product is dry,it pulls the product threw the hole you are trying to repair.

After about 15 minutes or so,(depending on the temp.)you can remove the tape on the outside,it should look like this......

more on the way.....
Old 01-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #6
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

dont worry if there are some pockets where the plastic repair didnt get all the way to the tape,im gonna cover that.You can see that I had allready prepaired the outside of the repair.It makes no diffrence,you can grind and sand that area before,or after the plastic repair product,I just figured,while I was there I might as well grind it.

The outside needs to be "dished" out about 1/8 of an inch,and thats when you can clean up any product that might have broken throug the tape.

a pic of the "gun you need.....

after doing any grinding/sanding that needs to be done( I allways go over the areas that I uaes the grinder on with 80 grit)you are ready to apply the finishing coat to the outside.To stay within the warranty,I used 3-M E-Z sand plastic repair.Before you apply it,you must put a light coat of the adhesion promoter on the areas you plan on puting the E-Z sand.The work time on the E-Z sand is fast as well,so again,I didnt get any pics,but I allways put mor on than I think Im gonna use......

after I apply the E-Z sand,while its still workable,I mash it down in to the cracks with a spreader,than try and smooth it out,

more to come.........
Old 01-10-2007, 06:53 PM   #7
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

It takes about 15-20 minutes to be able to sand the E-Z sand.I use that term lightly,because it is anything but,however,it needs to tough,so I guess its a fair trade.I start off with 80 grit,and finish it off with 180.I also use a dual action sander,especialy when it doesnt have to be perfect,and these dont.the end result should look something like this......

After you have it the way you want it,and all the "edges" have been "feathered out",apply one more coat of adhesion promoter to the finished product.Whay you ask,Im not sure,but 3-M says to,and I have found if you follow 3-M's directions,you rarely go wrong.Now its ready for primer and paint,but that will be another section of this project,and another night.

I am in no way saying this is the only way to fix these holes,but in my oppinion it is the best way.I own a body shop,and work with plastic often,so I thought I would share some of my know how with you guys.
Hope some one can use the info I posted.....

EVILONE
Old 01-10-2007, 07:06 PM   #8
DirtDOG
Same Dog, New Tricks

Oddometer: 17,754
You dolt, you didn't answer the VW question.

DirtDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #9
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtDOG
You dolt, you didn't answer the VW question.

lol....good point,I was tryin to focus.....its a 70 or 71 I think.The pics I could show ya of that thing....lol

EVILONE

P.S......when you gonna come get your cat DirtDog?
Old 01-10-2007, 07:25 PM   #10
toolfan
Broken Hearted

Oddometer: 9,543
Nice work. Nice shop too.

Can you buy the reinforcing mat seperate, or does it come with the other stuff? How much did that set you back?

I was going to give mine a go tomorrow night, but I was going to try using JB-stik, which is a putty/clay like product made by jb-weld. It was "product of the month" a while back in motorcycle consumer news, so, we'll see how it goes.
toolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:42 PM   #11
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolfan
Nice work. Nice shop too.

Can you buy the reinforcing mat seperate, or does it come with the other stuff? How much did that set you back?

I was going to give mine a go tomorrow night, but I was going to try using JB-stik, which is a putty/clay like product made by jb-weld. It was "product of the month" a while back in motorcycle consumer news, so, we'll see how it goes.
Thanks toolfan!
You can buy all the matterials seperately,I dont know how much it would cost right off hand,but I will check tomorrow and let you know.I have never been a big fan of JB weld products,but I would love to know how your project turns out.

EVILONE
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 PM   #12
RaiderSix
R6 commuter.

Oddometer: 88
Is that an '81 Malibu?
RaiderSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:05 PM   #13
WestRider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 787
Thumb Awesome...thanks for sharing!!

I was planning to use a fusion stick welder with PP sticks but that looks like a great way to make those repairs. I'm a long way from needing these cases...like months....so I've got a bit flexibility. Do you have to buy those materials from a commercial supplier or can you get them at retail places too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVILONE
Thanks toolfan!
You can buy all the matterials seperately,I dont know how much it would cost right off hand,but I will check tomorrow and let you know.I have never been a big fan of JB weld products,but I would love to know how your project turns out.

EVILONE
2005 TW200...wife's bike
1977 CT90...an original adventure bike
WestRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:31 AM   #14
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestRider
I was planning to use a fusion stick welder with PP sticks but that looks like a great way to make those repairs. I'm a long way from needing these cases...like months....so I've got a bit flexibility. Do you have to buy those materials from a commercial supplier or can you get them at retail places too?

I dont think you can get these materials from Autozone,or anything like that,but your local paint and body supplier can get them for you,if the dont allready have them in stock.Worst case,you could order it straight from 3-M.

EVILONE
Old 01-11-2007, 06:32 AM   #15
EVILONE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderSix
Is that an '81 Malibu?
nope,......79

EVILONE