User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
srileo OP
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 888
Are steel toe boots good or bad?

I have my eye on a pair of RedWings that i have been wanting to buy. There are those with steel toes and those without. I also heard that steel toes can be dangerous in that the steel (with sufficient weight on it) could crush the toes! We are probably talking about extreme situations here, but i would like to be enlightened on what is a safer, better options. My intended usage is daily office wear, on-road touring (90%) and very light offroad touring.

thanks in advance
S
Old 01-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
They can (and do and have) cut your toes off, something like a car going over it or a bike landing on it would be sufficiant to bend it...

Your better off with thick leather type material or propper toe protectors found on most decent bike boots, a guy i know had a chain snap on him and he'd have lost the end of his foot were it not for the leather stuff on the end..
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,934
When I took a road race school it was specified that no steel toe boots were allowed. I'm sure thay have reason for that.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:14 PM   #4
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,256
MythBusters tested the crushed steel toe story. It seems that if there is enough weight to crush the steel toe box then you were going to lose those digits anyway.

Ryan
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:15 PM   #5
MysteryRider
Laughing at danger

Oddometer: 747
They tend to be colder also.

Not only that!
They tend to be colder in the winter also.

Ride Safe,
Vettster
MysteryRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:18 PM   #6
Mr. Magoo
Follow me; I'm lost!

Oddometer: 4,934
I have a friend who lowsided with steel toes on. The steel bent down and injured his toe. I once lowsided with them on and had no issues. Lucky I guess. 99 % of the time I ride in non-steel toe boots.
Mr. Magoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
srileo OP
dot Indian snakecharmer

Oddometer: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Magoo
I have a friend who lowsided with steel toes on. The steel bent down and injured his toe. I once lowsided with them on and had no issues. Lucky I guess. 99 % of the time I ride in non-steel toe boots.
That does it! thank you guys, no steel toes for me! Also, i have to pass through metal detectors at my workplace everyday. that'd be a pain.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,260
Steel toes are the way to go if you're in a situation where there is significant risk of dropping something on your toes. Motorcycle accidents are much more likely to involve bending rather than crushing forces, so I would think steel toes would do harm than good. Having said, it probably doesn't matter much.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 01-12-2007 at 06:01 PM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
BCC
I know better

Oddometer: 7,749
I run warehouses and steel toe boots protect toes better'n non-steel toed boots.

2,000lb pallets, double pallet machines, forklifts (well, nothing protects you from a forklift) are dangeous to tootsies and steel toes work better than plain leather.

I wouldn't use'em as a four season riding boot, though. Too cold.

Cherish the memories------Ken OBSC
BCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:13 PM   #10
disconnected
ultra runner

Oddometer: 6,490
I wear non steel toed boots to work.. steel toe are safer, but much colder.. also they tend to rub my big toes raw... Its a risk..

they have that Safty Toe now which is PVC, those might be worth looking into..

If your going to so some offroad buy a pair of Moto boots, the bike is heavy and you will need the protection and it could save your ankle!!!
greg

disconnected screwed with this post 01-12-2007 at 01:25 PM
disconnected is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #11
1200GSCanuck
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 352
i use the steel toed boot because....

if you are riding at speeds and in conditions, ie:track,where you are going to inflict sufficient damage to bend the STEEL, your toes will likely be the least of your worries, and your funeral director will take care of the rest. Anything less than that, the steel toes could actually help.
Check the "BOOTS" section of the following article:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/school-SectionFour.htm

1200GSCanuck screwed with this post 01-12-2007 at 01:28 PM
1200GSCanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:30 PM   #12
Ghoti
Sooper Brane

Oddometer: 14,830
The lamest reason not to wear steel toes is that they can damage your toes. That's the equivilent to saying you won't wear a helmet because it could break your neck. What the heck do you think your foot would look like if there is sufficient impact to crush or bend a steel toe and you only had leather covering it?
Old 01-12-2007, 01:38 PM   #13
RT jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoti
The lamest reason not to wear steel toes is that they can damage your toes. That's the equivilent to saying you won't wear a helmet because it could break your neck. What the heck do you think your foot would look like if there is sufficient impact to crush or bend a steel toe and you only had leather covering it?
I agree. Good brand feel very comforable. I a bike i'd vote for bike boots. For sure if it's off-road.
RT jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:41 PM   #14
zero
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
The point is ther better optionshat stand less chance of damageing you..

Like why not wear stainless steel helmet? between a steel or leather helmet i'd go for the latter.. but it'd still be feckin stupid when theres things much better for the job..

(incedentally i wear sidi race boots, and i dont ride a sports bike)
zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 01:45 PM   #15
SPEEDSMITH
Sh!t Disturber

Oddometer: 497
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoti
I agree, I wear either steel-toed work boots, or motorcycle boots.
One thing I can tell you, is that steel-toed boots do a lot more damage to the car door of someone who tries to cut you off!

"Bite my shiny metal ass!" ~ Bender
"Racing makes heroin addiction seem like a vague wish for something salty." ~ Peter Egan
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts." ~ Mark Twain
SPEEDSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote