User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2007, 12:12 AM   #1
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

Oddometer: 4,154
My personal 640 Adventure Odyssey, or my poor attempt of copying Pyndon

Hello fellow Thumperistas. I bought this 640 Adventure last winter while I was working out of the country.

The price was good, and the dealer, who had bought the bike back from the original owner, was willing to hang on to it until I got back to the US and was able to pick it up.

It had some minor crash damage on the right side.

What I was told is that the first owner bought the bike brand new from them in 2003, and rode it mainly around town (San Francisco) until one day last winter he rode it into the shop, told them he didn't want it anymore, to make him an offer, and that was the last they ever saw of him.

Wounded Warrior Project www.woundedwarriorproject.org

Special Operations Warrior Foundation
www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 02-25-2007 at 06:30 PM
Odysseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:29 AM   #2
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

I was able to pick the bike up in April and was reasonably happy with the bike. The first thing I did was order a Renazco saddle. And since I was in the area I had the great pleasure of going to James house and BSing with him while he fabricated my seat.

Looks good, doesn't it? I did not go for the suede option because my ultimate plan is to do some real long distance adventure touring on this bike, in all kinds of weather. Soggy butt is not my favorite feeling, so I thought vinyl might be a better choice for me. BTW thanks again James!

The next thing that needed attending to was the lack of a center stand. As you can see in this picture the PO removed it and put on the KTM side stand.

I wanted a center stand for those moments we all love, when you have a flat tire when you are in the middle of freaking nowhere! Well it turns out the dealer had no idea where the OEM center stand was, or how to contact the previous owner to inquire about it. So Ody got to spring for a new KTM center stand, at dealer cost, which made the hurt a little easier to take. After putting on the new center stand and realizing that YES, the other 640 Adv guys ARE right, the KTM side stand is not compatible! I decided that I wanted a side stand again as well. Lucky for me that Two Dot had an extra one and sold it to me.

Nice! And yes, the reports are all true about how freaking hard it is to fit the SW-Motech stand!

www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 01-18-2007 at 07:22 PM
Old 01-13-2007, 12:51 AM   #3
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

OK, now we're getting into the meat of this thread. I really did not have a lot of time with this bike, due to my work, from the time I picked it up in April until mid November. At that time I started taking stock of what I really had. And to be honest I was not all that happy. There was a lot of corrosion on this bike, from what I understand the PO lived next to the ocean. Maybe he didn't have a garage, maybe he rode it into the ocean for all I know!
Here is pic of the exhaust pipe and rear subframe bolt, both rusted quite badly.

Here is a shot of the rear wheel, and due to my poor photography skills, not a good depiction of just how bad the corrosion is.

The front wheel was replaced in a recall and is still looking brand new, although the front disc is rusted a bit. The finish on the swingarm is quite bad also, as you can see here.

Lots of fasteners on the bike are quite badly rusted as well. This is under the seat, in back of the air box.

And these are bolts that hold the license plate to the rear fender.

Strangely, even the mirrors are rusty!

When I enquired with the dealer about the bikes service history I was told that PO had all service and maintenance done there at the dealership. So at least I know the bike was maintained on a basic level. But at this point the bike is not up to my standards, and a tear down to the engine in the frame level is called for to inspect, lubricate, and adjust.

Stay tuned!

www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 01-18-2007 at 07:23 PM
Old 01-13-2007, 02:23 AM   #4
Evil Invader
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Evil Invader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 10:07 AM   #5
The Mad Piper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
I hope this bike wasn't down in New Orleans a few years ago.
The Mad Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
canpile
Trail User

Oddometer: 638
If your new sidestand takes a shit, p.m. me and I'll sell you mine.
canpile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #7
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

No, the bike wasn't in New Orleans It was a left coast bike originally, San Francisco.

Thanks for the offer Canpile, it seems that some of the SW-Motech sidestands have had broken weld problems. But other guys have had good results just getting the thing repaired. That is why Two Dot had two in the first place, but he ended up keeping the one that had been re-welded. He felt that it was stronger than the new one.

Now if anyone wants buy a KTM accessory sidestand let me know!

www.specialops.org/
Old 01-13-2007, 06:10 PM   #8
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,899
Welcome to LC4-dom, Ody! Are you in the city, or SA? Maybe a Texas ride is in order once I get mine reassembled.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:16 PM   #9
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

Thanks rapiti! I'm in San Antonio for now. I'm on the North side, and always up for a "garage visit"

I don't know how many of you also hang out in "Orange Crush", but the idea to take pictures and create a thread detailing my project came from Pyndon. This thread here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147440

This will be a low rent version of that one But hopefully it will be fun and informative.

OK, time to get to work!

Lets get this "Thing" torn apart! The bikes name is actually "The Thing", thanks to my loving and understanding girlfriend, who thinks I am certified bike crazy, but loves me anyways

Being new to this 'puter stuff in general, and never having done a report like this before, I made my first mistake before I even started! I actually removed, stripped and primered the cargo racks before I started taking "before" pictures of the bike itself! It turns out that 10 pictures of cargo racks are not all that interesting... Thats OK though, I am sure I will make many, many mistakes before this bike is back together. And I am equally sure that my good ADV Rider buddies will point out and laugh at my missteps

I managed to edit down my 10 pulitzer prize candidate cargo rack photos to this one. The racks were in poor shape, very rusty and most of the paint in the contact areas rubbed off. This is a photo of after I wire brushed most of the rust off the top rack. Not much paint left. I think I'm going to use some epoxy automotive paint on them, that stuff is supposed to be very durable. Anyone have any better suggestions? That doesn't cost $100?

Lets start getting the plastic off. As you can in this pic the previous owner removed the charcoal canister and put on the KTM tool case, cool. He also installed the non-rubberized KTM rallye footpegs, tres cool!

Here I get to use my special, deluxe "spring puller" tool, that I saw at Cycle Gear and had to buy on impulse. What can I say? I'm a tool junkie!

Now we will fast forward to having all the plastic off the bike. Mostly because I forgot to take any pictures during this time

OK, this is looking down at the carburetor, which actually doesn't look too bad. A little dirty, but rubber bits intact, fasteners fastened, and not rusty. So it looks like some cleaning and tinkering around with the jetting and that will git 'er done.

Now I am in the process of removing the subframe, notice that the subframe bolt is already out and all the hoses, clamps, wires, exhaust pipe and etc. are all still attached! Cart before the donkey I always say! OK, so again this area is a little dirty, but not looking too bad. The little rubber boot thing for the rear brake light switch is coming apart, but some epoxy glue will fix that right up. Also this isn't the best shot of it, but the exhaust pipe is looking really rough. Hopefully it will clean up with some WD-40, scotch brite and elbow grease.

Subframe off now. Well this doesn't look too bad either! A nice shot of the new starter I replaced shortly after picking up the bike in April. The old one was dead, dead, dead!! Fortunately the dealer sold me the replacement at their cost again, so I wasn't out the entire $250 bucks, or so.

Next up: Assessing the situation.

www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 01-13-2007 at 11:13 PM
Old 01-14-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
Hollywood
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Cool...

Old 01-14-2007, 03:34 PM   #11
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

OK, lets take a closer look at the rear wheel.

This photo shows the corrosion present on the spokes and spoke nipples. Not good. This is going to get stripped down and sent to Woody in Denver. He says he can fix me up with SS spokes and nipples, and then either bead blast and clear coat my rim, or put on a good used one for a fairly decent price.

It looks like the seal washer on the cush drive is in bad shape. And the bearing is "sticky". There is a definite rough spot in the revolution. No problem, a new cush drive bearing is on the way from our good friend Loaded.

The sprocket is in good shape, it should clean up just fine. The teeth are showing very little wear. The chain looks to be in good shape also.

(Note: cush drive rubbers are intentionally installed upside down to see who is paying attention. RIGHT! Apperantly I wasn't paying attention in my haste to take a picture. )

The cush drive rubber bits are in good shape. I'll just clean them up and give them a shot of silicon lube spray. Both rear wheel bearings seem to be good to go also. Smooth 360 degree movement, and no side to side play. The the first couple of threads on the rear axle nut are bunged up a bit, not quite sure what to do about that. I do not have a tap big enough to clean them up with. Maybe I will try to get in there with a jewlers file and see if I can't clean them up.

Next up: Rear suspension

www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 01-14-2007 at 07:28 PM
Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #12
herobikes
HE AINT HEAVY HES MY LC4

Oddometer: 207
Thumb tlc

Keep up the good work.
herobikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #13
Odysseus OP
Stoic Philosopher

I got the rear shock off and wiped it down a bit.

The bushing on the top of the shock seems to be frozen. It rocks from side to side fairly easy, but it will not spin. I am going to have the shock oil changed at a local (Austin) shop, so I will have them check this bushing too. I think it needs to pressed off and inspected. Other than that the shock itself seems good. Some of the coating is coming off the black shock body inside the spring, but I'm not going to worry about that. External rubber bits seem OK. I've backed way, way off the pre-load that the PO had dialed in. My light ass (180 lbs.) could barely get the bike to sag 2 and a half inches before. I'll get the sag all dialed in when I get the bike back together.

Shock linkage, looks OK, the bolt on the left has some rust on the hex portion at the bottom, but not bad. The only thing I would say is that there was not a lot of grease on any of the moving surfaces, but that can be easily remedied!

Rocker arm, post cleaning. Both sets of needle bearings that do not have a grease nipple are good. Good smooth movement all the way around, again not much grease, so it's a good thing I am doing this now. The bearing with the grease nipple doesn't seem so good I have tried greasing the thing while on the bike and was unable to get any grease into it. From what I have read that is not uncommon with other KTM owners. Anybody have an idea how to get grease into it?

Swingarm bolt, no problems here other than some burring by where the fixed nut is. A little filing and it will be good as new.

Here are the two M14 x 1.5 bolts from the linkage and the rocker arm. I'll clean the rust off and reuse them. I'm not real happy about them being rusted, because the plating has been comprimised and they are going to continue to rust as long I have the bike now. But KTM wants an arm and a leg for new ones. I gots other stuffs I be needing, so I'm going to have to live with a rusty bolt and nuts

Swingarm, pre cleaning. I'm going to try some marine aluminum cleaner on this. It's not scratched as much as it's got small deposits on the surface. Then maybe some metal polish and see if I can't get it looking good again. I think a shiney swingarm looks sexy!

Here I have cleaned the non-shiney bits with some WD-40 and a brush. I also inspected the needle bearings, cleaned them and repacked them. The looked really good, still a good amount of grease on them and good smooth movement. No signs of corrossion either. The black smudge marks on the swingarm are my big, fat, bearing grease, hand prints. It actually cleans up better than that! If you look closely in the crevaces of the casting there seems to be some dirt. That is the stuff I am hoping the marine aluminum cleaner will remove. I couldn't do anything to it with the WD-40 and brush.

Here is the frame attachment that houses the needle bearings for the shock linkage. I was having some trouble with my flash and the garage lighting. What you can't see in this picture is that there is absolutely NO grease on the needle bearings inside.

You can barely see in this picture the dry needle bearings. Not cool. They may be salvageable, we'll see...

The swingarm attaching point at the back of the motor. No problems here.

Next up: Front end.

www.specialops.org/

Odysseus screwed with this post 01-19-2007 at 09:37 AM
Old 01-14-2007, 05:56 PM   #14
scottr
Banned

Oddometer: 1,768
From one who followed Pyndon's thread .... You're doing an excellent job.

I think your bike got left out in the salt air a bit. It's truly amazing how the beach air eats everything. Even inside the house or garage.
scottr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 06:08 PM   #15
v8turbo
When in Doubt.... Gas it.

Oddometer: 695
great pics. after your done...the bike will be sweet.
v8turbo is offline   Reply With Quote