User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2014, 03:21 PM   #1
werd OP
dual sporter

Oddometer: 60
Planning X country trip. Need some tire advice

Hey guys. Getting ready to ride across the country. I have a 06 950 adventure. Wondering what tires you guys think would last the trip. Starting in nc and will be riding to cal. And back. I have a half way used set of mefo explorers on now
werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #2
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Need more info. What kind of riding? Highway? Dirt/gravel roads? ATV trails? Singletrack? that all makes a big difference. I'm in the middle of a cross country trip and only use Mefos on the rear, and generally either Heidenaus or Mefo on the front as well, just because they wear well and do well on most surfaces. the rear Heidenau isn't aggressive enough for me off road, and I would really prefer something more aggressive up front but haven't found anything that lasts long enough.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:01 PM   #3
werd OP
dual sporter

Oddometer: 60
Mostly on pavement. Would like to hit some gravel or dirt along the way, so I don't want to rule that out.
werd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
If you plan on riding 95% street and 5% dirt on your trip, I would go with Continental Trail Attacks. Great street tire, so-so on dirt roads.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:14 PM   #5
renogeorge
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,088
As mentioned, the Heidenau combo will definitely last the trip and more. They are not much for anything close to real dirt riding. I recently switched to a TKC front for a Mexico trip which included some dirt. I like it a lot--good on road, decent for all but real serious dirt and looks like it will go 4-5k miles.

I just switched from the Heidenau rear to the Mefo. The H wears like iron, sucks in the dirt and has a strange, very flat profile in the 150 size. The Mefo seems a little softer with a more open tread pattern and a round profile. Time will tell on the mileage.

I put a lot of miles on my 950 Super Moto using Michelin Roads-2s, 3s. I did a fair amount of wimpy dirt and gravel road with them. I like them a lot if you don't need more serious dirt capability. I don't even know if they are available in 950/990 Adventure sizes. I wouldn't hesitate to put a set of these on or another brand of similar sport touring tire, unless your dirt riding is going to be serious.

I run the rear tubeless. Still running tube in front.

FWIW
Old 07-10-2014, 08:15 PM   #6
Maoule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
If you're thinking gravel/dirt, you better plan on mud and if you plan on mud, you should plan on something along the lines of Mefo, Heidis, Mitas E07 minimum.
Maoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 10:42 AM   #7
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,988
Mefo Super explorer on the rear and any DOT knobby on the front (MT 21 or D606) and you will be fine. Plus you can get tires almost anywhere along the way. Its not like you are going to Idaho or Alaska or anything.
Enjoy the trip!
Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 04:50 AM   #8
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by Questor View Post
Mefo Super explorer on the rear and any DOT knobby on the front (MT 21 or D606) and you will be fine. Plus you can get tires almost anywhere along the way. Its not like you are going to Idaho or Alaska or anything.
Enjoy the trip!
Q~
+1. I'm loving my Super Explorer rear. Fabulous tire. I run a Pirelli Rally front. It's a knobby with a little harder compound for some road use, and it works very well in gravel and dirt.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:06 AM   #9
Buddy_Holly
Imminent Train Wreck

Oddometer: 1,109
If you are thinking of the hiedenaus. Put them on early. Don't wait until the day before you leave. They have had some problems with making a round tire
Old 07-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #10
Imachimper
Newer than Noob

Oddometer: 128
Mefo in back. Forget about the k60 scout on front, it is horrible in the gravel, and worthless in any muddy ruts.
Imachimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #11
malangi
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by werd View Post
Hey guys. Getting ready to ride across the country. I have a 06 950 adventure. Wondering what tires you guys think would last the trip. Starting in nc and will be riding to cal. And back. I have a half way used set of mefo explorers on now
Quote:
Mostly on pavement. Would like to hit some gravel or dirt along the way, so I don't want to rule that out.
If mostly on pavement, Continental trail attacks are great. I did a X country road trip in 2012 on a 2008 990 adventure. Around 8500 miles.. loaded with Giant Loop luggage and camping equipment. The Conti trail attacks were great.. lasted the whole trip. Front still had tread left. Rear was down to the thread. Grip was good throughout in dry and wet conditions. You can see the photo of the tires after 8500 miles at the end of photo album below.

http://www.parvathikumar.com/Family/...k3jg/i-StMP4xn

malangi
malangi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
gearheadE30
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 662
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imachimper View Post
Mefo in back. Forget about the k60 scout on front, it is horrible in the gravel, and worthless in any muddy ruts.
It's better than the Mefo front though, IMHO. And I just rode about 100 miles of gravel/sand singletrack and ATV trails on mine today and I thought it did pretty well, for what it is.
1989 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Wagon sleeper tow car
3 Months Exploring the US on a 950
gearheadE30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #13
Rodknee
Aggrivator

Oddometer: 2,010
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David37 View Post
If you plan on riding 95% street and 5% dirt on your trip, I would go with Continental Trail Attacks. Great street tire, so-so on dirt roads.
+1. Trail Attacks are great on the street and ok offroad, as long as it is dry. Doesn't sound like you plan on doing any single track, so you will be fine.

*i hate heidi k60's*. shittiest tire on road, off road and anywhere in between. they do last a while, and that is their only good point. the compound is rock hard, but they really f'd up the profile, which further runins the handling. that is my take on them, but i ride more aggressively then most, and if you are remotely aggressive, you will hate them too.
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #14
Black Hills
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodknee View Post
+

*i hate heidi k60's*. shittiest tire on road, off road and anywhere in between. they do last a while, and that is their only good point. the compound is rock hard, but they really f'd up the profile, which further runins the handling. that is my take on them, but i ride more aggressively then most, and if you are remotely aggressive, you will hate them too.

I ride fairly aggressively (of course that is relative), and I don't mind them. they are far better than the Cont's off road and their street performance is very predictable. I do agree they suck in the rain. but for all around use (including how long they last) I find them hard to beat.
Black Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #15
Questor
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 3,988
The K60 can be made into a decent tire if you cut the center strip out with a tire knife.
But then you still have the impossible super tight beads to deal with.

We tried to mount a K60 on my SE and nearly broke the No-Mar tire tire machine in the process.
Then a few months later I got a flat, and basically had to take a dremel and cut the beads to get the tire off the rim.

Sorry, at that point I stopped using Heidenaus.
If I can't fix a flat tire on the side of the road the tire is of no use to me.

My current preferences are:
REAR:
Dunlop 908 for dirt
Mefo Super Explorer for 50/50 (Road / Dirt)
Pirelli MT-90 for 90/10 (Road / Dirt)

FRONT:
Dunlop D606 for Dirt
Pirelli MT-21 for 50/50 (Road / Dirt)
Pirelli MT-90 for 90/10 (Road / Dirt)

Q~
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote