ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Rodknee OP
Aggrivator
 
Rodknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: new friggin york
Oddometer: 2,013
Gobi 42L top box weight capacity?

I have the ktm 42L gobi top box, and i am packing for a trip. anyone know what the weight capacity of the top box is? it is not stamped on the box itself, and i searched around. no luck so far.

anyone know?

*edit* i found this link, says it can handle 100kg..... UNPOSSIBLE! maybe it is 10kg?

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/h_b-...p-box/10024524
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
my ass was jealous of Rodney's day-long-ass.
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:26 PM   #2
JoeMongo
¿Por dónde?
 
JoeMongo's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: SF Bay Area, not exactly dirt moto heaven
Oddometer: 327
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodknee View Post
I have the ktm 42L gobi top box, and i am packing for a trip. anyone know what the weight capacity of the top box is? it is not stamped on the box itself, and i searched around. no luck so far.

anyone know?

*edit* i found this link, says it can handle 100kg..... UNPOSSIBLE! maybe it is 10kg?

https://www.louis.de/en/artikel/h_b-...p-box/10024524
If you consider the way that it connects to the H-B rack, it is clearly along the lines of 10 kg. 20 kg might be OK on smooth roads, but 20 kg on washboarded hardpacked dirt roads could launch the case into orbit, or not. Might as well test it out and let us know!
__________________
'08 990 ADV, '03 DR-Z400S

Anything worth doing, is worth overdoing.
JoeMongo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:47 AM   #3
Rodknee OP
Aggrivator
 
Rodknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: new friggin york
Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMongo View Post
Might as well test it out and let us know!
i have had it on the bike for almost 2 years on/off, but it was mostly empty, being primarily used as a backrest for the wife. i know that when i rode alone, it would jiggle around a bit on washboard dirt roads. so much so, that i left it off when riding solo. i just put a gallon of water in it, and it felt very heavy, as it would tax the mounting points.

i leave in a few days, so i guess we shall see!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
my ass was jealous of Rodney's day-long-ass.
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:29 AM   #4
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer
 
DirtyADV's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: SWEDEN, Skellefteå
Oddometer: 1,883
Think weight limit according to manual is 8 kg on rear rack.

Luggage rack should stiffen up the rear some and have had 12 kg back there no problem even off-road but going gnarly I would not keep much weight back there at all.

As much as 20 kg I would try hard to avoid, probably fine if you stay on the black stuff or really nice gravel.

/Johan
__________________
Have changed name, was previously Dirty950

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM   #5
Rodknee OP
Aggrivator
 
Rodknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: new friggin york
Oddometer: 2,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyADV View Post
Think weight limit according to manual is 8 kg on rear rack.

Luggage rack should stiffen up the rear some and have had 12 kg back there no problem even off-road but going gnarly I would not keep much weight back there at all.
Thanks Johan. Road conditions are unknown, but fast 60-70mph washboard is most likely going to happen for a while. i will have tires on the seat strapped against the lower rack, so that should keep the vibration down a bit.

i will load it up and weigh it, but i will try and keep it as close to 8kg (17lbs) as much as possible. Thanks!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRon View Post
my ass was jealous of Rodney's day-long-ass.
NY to Inuvik to Deadhorse Aug 14'
2014 Rides: Katie M Big girl & Berg Hoon'icycle
RIP Buddy 1999-2014
Rodknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014