Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #136
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gefr
So I suggest do not go too far on increasing pressure leaks on the lubrication system.
My 990Adv at 10k kms showed some initiation of wear on camshafts, which indicate poor lubrication. My mech says these bikes when hot raise 2.5bar at 6000rpm while Ducattis raise 6bar.
So any additional or increase on lubrication orifice reduce oil pressure.
Thought I should mention it.
Cheers.
I thought you raised this point before and it was discussed before...

And the conclusion was that comparing the duc to the ktm is rather meaningless. Oil pressure is just one variable - oil volume is another.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 02:06 AM   #137
shep532
Still a novice !!

Oddometer: 470
Oil jet sizes

Hi All,

I have recently destroyed an OEM KTM clutch in less than 3000 miles. I am convinced this was a case of overheating (some plates shattered and others are blistered or warped).

The clutch ssemed very dry whne I took the cover off and now I am constantly worried about it.

yes the jet was blocked - but I had no symptoms of any problems until the clutch started to slip in high gears on the road - then later that day no drive at all.

I have now fitted a set of Barnett Kevlar plates and would like to do what I can to make sure I don't do the same with these - therefore I would like to increase the oil jet size SLIGHTLY.

Rather than drill it out - I figured get another couple of jets so I can change them and experiment. The bike is used as a daily road tool at times and i don't want to compromise the useability of the bike with gear selection problems etc. but do want as much oil as practical to the clutch.

So - Ebay is full of Dellorto 6413 jets for sale but I am struggling to understand sizing. if the current jet is .30 - what size do I want for the next size up?

I know it's a daft question but the sizes quoted on Ebay don't correlate to .30 ........... or at least to me they don't On Ebay they are sizes 53 - 172

Any ideas?

Pete
shep532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 04:33 AM   #138
vgstef
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep532
Hi All,

I have recently destroyed an OEM KTM clutch in less than 3000 miles. I am convinced this was a case of overheating (some plates shattered and others are blistered or warped).

The clutch ssemed very dry whne I took the cover off and now I am constantly worried about it.

yes the jet was blocked - but I had no symptoms of any problems until the clutch started to slip in high gears on the road - then later that day no drive at all.

I have now fitted a set of Barnett Kevlar plates and would like to do what I can to make sure I don't do the same with these - therefore I would like to increase the oil jet size SLIGHTLY.

Rather than drill it out - I figured get another couple of jets so I can change them and experiment. The bike is used as a daily road tool at times and i don't want to compromise the useability of the bike with gear selection problems etc. but do want as much oil as practical to the clutch.

So - Ebay is full of Dellorto 6413 jets for sale but I am struggling to understand sizing. if the current jet is .30 - what size do I want for the next size up?

I know it's a daft question but the sizes quoted on Ebay don't correlate to .30 ........... or at least to me they don't On Ebay they are sizes 53 - 172

Any ideas?

Pete
I know a place you can order you jet . The fabricate the Dellorto carburator go to the fish part type gas gas bike carburator 02857 PHBL26BS gicleur # 06413 and you can order your size that you need. They are located over sea but is not expensive to ship.

http://www.dellorto.fr/index.php
Old 06-07-2010, 05:37 AM   #139
Patacca
Pimp my SE italian style

Oddometer: 554
I use 60 without any problem....but I've read that if you plan to ride deserts it is better to go for 100....but be aware it will drag a "little" when the engine is cold and may be not only...but the clutch will be safe.!!!

www.raffaellophoto.com

check out my pimped SE @

http://www.myktm.it/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=223
Patacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 12:37 AM   #140
shep532
Still a novice !!

RIght ........... .60 jet received off Ebay (2.99) and fitted.

No problems whatsoever. I have now done 500 miles with it in and the only difference I have noticed is the occasional 1st to neutral goes to 2nd. One snick back down and neutral is found.

I more often than not select neutral before I come to a stop - so maybe that's why I don't have any problems.

The one thing I don't know is whether or not more oil does get to the clutch ..... I am guessing only time will tell.
Old 06-19-2010, 01:29 AM   #141
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by shep532
RIght ........... .60 jet received off Ebay (2.99).
you have a link for that ebay jet? i tried getting the right one before but struck out
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:17 AM   #142
shep532
Still a novice !!

This is what I bought. LINKY

I got a .60 and a .75. Not tried the .75
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #143
Strobes
It's go time!!

Oddometer: 131
I've read through this thread and I have a few questions for you experts...
  1. I have an 05.5 and my Owner's Manual does not state to clean the clutch jets for periodic maint. Does this mean the 05.5 does not have this problem with the jet clogging?
  2. I've ordered the Oberon slave and will it alleviate the jet clogging problem?
  3. Since I will be replacing the slave when the Oberon arrives, should I clean the jet?
  4. I ordered the Oberon because I have no clutch lever action--Clutch will not disengage (have fluid in master). Is this related to the jet clogging?
Thanks,
Strobes
Strobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:49 AM   #144
DockingPilot
Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer: 8,825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strobes
I've read through this thread and I have a few questions for you experts...
  1. I have an 05.5 and my Owner's Manual does not state to clean the clutch jets for periodic maint. Does this mean the 05.5 does not have this problem with the jet clogging?
  2. I've ordered the Oberon slave and will it alleviate the jet clogging problem?
  3. Since I will be replacing the slave when the Oberon arrives, should I clean the jet?
  4. I ordered the Oberon because I have no clutch lever action--Clutch will not disengage (have fluid in master). Is this related to the jet clogging?
Thanks,
Strobes
Strobes,
Its in there, you just missed it. You do need to clean the jet. The slave is a seperate mechanism from the jet. Just stick a acetlyne torch tip cleaner or a guitar string through it. No need to remove it.

"Every bike I ever had, was the best bike I ever had, when I had it"
DockingPilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 06:34 AM   #145
Strobes
It's go time!!

Oddometer: 131
Thanks DockingPilot...

The Oberon should arrive today and I will clean the jet with the install.
Strobes
Strobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:04 AM   #146
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,503
Oil filter kit

Ive noticed KTM are including a copper crush washer for the jet plug in the filter kit which indicated to me that the jet should be serviced when you do an oil change?

Pete
Old 06-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #147
Fundy Rider
Where 2?

Oddometer: 233
Wicked Tool for removal

Cleaned my oil jet the other day using a Dewalt #8 slotted bit and fit very snug in the jet.

Just tilted a bit and removed jet. No need for anything else.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #148
MookieBlaylock
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,581
i got the 60 jet from this place, 3 bucks--->http://www.treatland.tv/dellorto-mai...-jet-tomos.htm

i cant believe how ez it came out. Pointy long tweezers in less than 30 seconds with the tank on, last time it took an hour
MookieBlaylock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #149
Corni
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Just did my first oil jet cleaning and I wanted to be well equipped to get that jet screw out there.

Wrong! That hollow ground screwdriver didn't fit because it was too long and once I had that jet unscrew, slot screw starter didn't work at all because jet was hollow from the center where that starter should grab..

Those tweezers and mech picup wasn't able to grap it either. Didn't have compressed air other than dust off, but it didn't have enough flow/pressure.. Chewing gum did the trick but I don't recommend to try, because it starts to melt when contact with oil and quickly you'll have more problems than you solved.

Compressed air would be the best like someone suggested before..

-C
Corni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #150
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,968
A small ball of duct tape rolled inside-out stuck on the end of a small dowel or screwdriver will stick to the jet after you've unscrewed it with a short screwdriver.
'04 R1150RTP "cop motor, cop suspension.."
'00 XR650R Dual Sport "Lil' Mule"
'75 RL250
'01 TTR90
'01 PW50
Conti TKC80 tire swing

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.

"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote