ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-17-2011, 07:00 PM   #166
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski

Oddometer: 688
I tried drilling out the stock #30 jet to about a #45, just to see if there would be any improvement in clutch action.
NOPE!
I didn't really have any complaints since installing an EVO slave cylinder and an updated pushrod, but I was curious. So, I drilled out the jet, and to help move the extra oil out of the clutch, I drilled the inner basket a la Meoni.
There wasn't any difference when cold, but after a few minutes the clutch drag was very noticeably worse. Shifting got pretty notchy, and finding neutral when stopped was impossible.
Easy enough to fix. I got a new #30 jet, installed it, and immediately enjoyed the drag-free clutch action I had before the mod.

One nice little detail about the replacement jet-

If you look close, you will see the center area of the jet is convex, and resembles a volcano's profile, as opposed to my original jet which had a concave center. The old jet allowed even the tiniest amount of debris block the the extremely small opening.
The new-style jet will require a relatively large amount of debris to pile up high enough to restrict flow. Nice!
Old 04-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #167
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post

One nice little detail about the replacement jet-

If you look close, you will see the center area of the jet is convex, and resembles a volcano's profile, as opposed to my original jet which had a concave center. The old jet allowed even the tiniest amount of debris block the the extremely small opening.
The new-style jet will require a relatively large amount of debris to pile up high enough to restrict flow. Nice!
Thanks for the Update... this is good to know.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 08:44 AM   #168
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,600
I tried, really I did.

Several approaches were attempted.

I used the screw driver from the kit with the handle removed along with the pliers.

Then I tried a flat driver from the screw gun and a small ratchet that takes these hex bits.

Then I used a driver from an Xcelite kit, sans handle with Vice Grip attached.

Was unable to budge the jet, but from the brass debris found on the several driver tips, if the jet wasn't plugged before it will be now.

Geez! Do ya have to pull the engine to get this thing out?

I may try removing the airbox and see if I can get a long driver on it from above with enough down pressure to break it free.

Aaaaargh! I'm leaving for a long trip in four days and would prefer to not have a troublesome clutch.

Anyone else had problems getting this bugger out who could offer any advice?

Just to be clear, the issue is unscrewing it, not the more common matter of getting it out of the hole after being unscrewed. That, I was prepared for with toothpick and matchstick.

Thanks!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:40 AM   #169
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
easy does it

never seen or heard this being difficult...unless a gorilla installed it with a mixture of epoxy and red Loctite. jet should simply turn rather easily using a blade screwdriver, nothing fancy needed...just righty tighty, lefty loosy...and be sure you're in the correct hole.

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #170
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog View Post
never seen or heard this being difficult...unless a gorilla installed it with a mixture of epoxy and red Loctite. jet should simply turn rather easily using a blade screwdriver, nothing fancy needed...just righty tighty, lefty loosy...and be sure you're in the correct hole.

It's the hole with a screw-on cap that can only be accessed after removing the clutch slave and countershaft sprocket guard, right? :)

I'm leaning more toward the gorilla with red loctite theory at this point.

I'm hoping that it gets by for the next two weeks and four thousand miles. Otherwise I might find myself servicing it while on the road.

Recently been having some problems finding neutral when stopped, but if that is the worst of the symptoms experienced it will be a minor nag.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:27 PM   #171
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
It's the hole with a screw-on cap that can only be accessed after removing the clutch slave and countershaft sprocket guard, right? :)

I'm leaning more toward the gorilla with red loctite theory at this point.

I'm hoping that it gets by for the next two weeks and four thousand miles. Otherwise I might find myself servicing it while on the road.

Recently been having some problems finding neutral when stopped, but if that is the worst of the symptoms experienced it will be a minor nag.
No need to remove the slave. Just the sprocket cover. I leave mine off, so just the allen screw cap to remove to get at it. Easy to get in and out with a spring loaded screw starter. Clean it at each oil change and it won't be a problem.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:08 PM   #172
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396
A few years ago, i splurged and bought a pretty carbonfiber sprocket cover (from KTMtwins, i think?)...which allows direct access at pesky oil jet without removing anything.

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:43 PM   #173
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Was unable to budge the jet, but from the brass debris found on the several driver tips, if the jet wasn't plugged before it will be now.

Anyone else had problems getting this bugger out who could offer any advice?

Thanks!
Moto,
I had the same situation while checking (no problems) mine. Decided not to take it out, but Ran a Guitar String down the Hole several times... and it seemed to be Clean.

What you could do, is place a Guitar type wire Down the Hole and while it is in there, Blow out the Debris you may now have in there and then take out your Wire.

Hope this helps...
Old 04-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #174
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
Moto,
I had the same situation while checking (no problems) mine. Decided not to take it out, but Ran a Guitar String down the Hole several times... and it seemed to be Clean.

What you could do, is place a Guitar type wire Down the Hole and while it is in there, Blow out the Debris you may now have in there and then take out your Wire.

Hope this helps...
I tried several things that I had around, but none of them were small enough to go through the hole. A friend found a bread wrapper tie and burnt off the paper, handed it to me and told me he uses it for jets, so that's next.

He is also a guitar player and I mentioned the (upper E?) string, to which he replied, "Light, Medium, or Heavy?" and a few other variations that led me to believe it might need further refinement to get the right size.

Any more specific info on which string fits would be helpful. I have several guitar players I could approach.

Thanks!

Old 04-18-2011, 10:38 PM   #175
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

the Guitar String I used states on the Package .011" or 0.28mm. No Letter was designated.

Good Luck with this.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #176
johnno950
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,049
.011" guitar string cleaned my oil jet out,thats the e string
johnno950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:02 AM   #177
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Thanks folks! I'll hit up my guitar playin' friends today.

I might try a Q-Tip for getting some of the residual brass shavings out. Once it has oil on it I bet it would pick up things in every nook and cranny.

Blowing might work well too, but is there is a chance of blowing some of the debris into whatever oil passage feeds the jet?

Old 04-19-2011, 10:05 AM   #178
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Just get as much as you can out manually, then blow the rest out. Finish up by cranking the engine over and the pump should flush the rest out. Put a rag over the hole to cut down on the mess.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #179
geometrician
let's keep going...

Oddometer: 1,026
Clean 'er out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Just get as much as you can out manually, then blow the rest out. Finish up by cranking the engine over and the pump should flush the rest out. Put a rag over the hole to cut down on the mess.
+1 think the quick start to pump anything out is a must-do...
'87 KLR650 - <200K miles "Like the Energizer Bunny, just keeps going & going..."
geometrician is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #180
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Looking at this Small Hole for this Oil Jet, I can see why KTM recommends use of Full Synthetic oil.

Regular Oil By Products/Sludge would Clog this up in a heartbeat.