Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #241
ultrachrome
Poser

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by FuTAnT View Post
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but electric guitar strings are brilliant for cleaning these jets, and other similar jets of different sizes. A pack costs all of $10 or so, great for the toolbox.
I literally unwound the E string on my Martin (on which I can currently play three or four chords) and it still would not poke through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjracer
Dang, That was REALLY plugged. I'd check your booster system "ramps" and make sure it's not cooked before you have more issues for lack of oil flow.
I don't know no booster system ramps. Please elaborate.

I haven't noticed any shifting issues. I forgot to check it during the bike's first oil change last year. I just performed its second oil change. The bike has just over 5000 miles.
ultrachrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:20 AM   #242
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by aurel View Post
I tried to get the jet out that way without success...

I was not able to put enough force vertically on the screw so the screwer was sliding out of the head screw everytime before it starts turning...

I'll try with a hot engine But what a pain to access that screw, I'll try to make a special tool to make the job easier...
I tried this method. Worked like a charm. Little clay bar from my car detail supplies on the end of a small screw driver pulled it out. But I failed to check the box end of the wrench which was full of crap from my 73' bronco rebuilt. Yup I dropped a ton of crap in the hole. Cleaned it all out and put it back together. Working great. Life, live and learn. Die and forget it all.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:30 AM   #243
propilot10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrachrome View Post
I literally unwound the E string on my Martin (on which I can currently play three or four chords) and it still would not poke through.

I don't know no booster system ramps. Please elaborate.

I haven't noticed any shifting issues. I forgot to check it during the bike's first oil change last year. I just performed its second oil change. The bike has just over 5000 miles.
I tried to use my strings too and it would not fit Im guessing electric guitar strings are finer. I know when you buy the strings it says the diameter of each on the package but I was not really concerned about them fitting into an oil jet for a ktm at the time. Lol. Luckily mine was clear but I need to score the right ones so I have them when I need em.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:55 AM   #244
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I tried drilling out the stock #30 jet to about a #45, just to see if there would be any improvement in clutch action.
NOPE!
I didn't really have any complaints since installing an EVO slave cylinder and an updated pushrod, but I was curious. So, I drilled out the jet, and to help move the extra oil out of the clutch, I drilled the inner basket a la Meoni.
There wasn't any difference when cold, but after a few minutes the clutch drag was very noticeably worse. Shifting got pretty notchy, and finding neutral when stopped was impossible.
Easy enough to fix. I got a new #30 jet, installed it, and immediately enjoyed the drag-free clutch action I had before the mod.

One nice little detail about the replacement jet-

If you look close, you will see the center area of the jet is convex, and resembles a volcano's profile, as opposed to my original jet which had a concave center. The old jet allowed even the tiniest amount of debris block the the extremely small opening.
The new-style jet will require a relatively large amount of debris to pile up high enough to restrict flow. Nice!
Which part number is this one? Does it fit the early 990s?
Old 02-07-2013, 07:26 AM   #245
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I upgraded to the jet that is recommended by CJ, what a royal PITA to remove. I would love to kick in the nuts whoever designed this.

I read recommendations on removing it:
paper clip
superglue/nail
clay
bobby-pin

what worked for me....a q-tip, after messing with it for a few hours. I put the q-tip in, smashed it in there real good and it pulled right out. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it...make sure you clean the area around the cap before you pull the cap off. Knocking grease in the hole is pretty simple to do.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 02:49 PM   #246
DirtyADV
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergut View Post
I upgraded to the jet that is recommended by CJ, what a royal PITA to remove. I would love to kick in the nuts whoever designed this.

I read recommendations on removing it:
paper clip
superglue/nail
clay
bobby-pin
VACUUM CLEANER just tape a thin hose to the end feed hose down the hole and voila!

what worked for me....a q-tip, after messing with it for a few hours. I put the q-tip in, smashed it in there real good and it pulled right out. Not sure if anyone has mentioned it...make sure you clean the area around the cap before you pull the cap off. Knocking grease in the hole is pretty simple to do.
Addition in red.

/Johan

www.dirtyadv.com (under construction)
DirtyADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:51 AM   #247
T-Mac
orange

Oddometer: 42
How about funnel design instead of volcano?

Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 AM   #248
beergut
Thumper

Oddometer: 413
I believe that is how CJ's is designed.

DIY rear top rack
beergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 01:23 PM   #249
ABuck99

Oddometer: 489
I used tweezers like these to remove the jet once it was loosened. Inserted the tweezers inside the jet and gently removed it with out it falling off. There was enough spring tension in the tweezer to hold the jet, which also works great to put the jet back in and get it threaded lightly with out cross threading.

I think I got a pack of tweezers from Harbor freight for under 6 bucks.

And if you dont have access to a guitar string, you can strip some 10/12 gauge wire and use one of the strands to clean out the jet.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:16 PM   #250
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,820
the tools that i use to remove the jet all out cleaned jet with compressed air & back together in 15min
(vice grips i use with the allen key to get more leverage to crack the seal on the plug need a bit of copper pipe or something to slip over the short end of the allen key then i can do away with the vice grips)

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 02-22-2013 at 06:23 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:17 AM   #251
cjracer
AWD please!!

Oddometer: 3,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Mac View Post
How about funnel design instead of volcano?

The jet shown above is a standard Fuel Jet designs and was used in earlier models. It can work, but I don't recommend these or run them anymore in my bikes. Too much hassle, unless you Enjoy cleaning this jet often.

Volcano is better as is offers some protection of the hole getting plugged instead of forcing everything down and into the center. We offer the Volcano design in stock and modified .5mm sizes as this is the current design used on All Newer KTMs. I have found the Volcano design to get plugged much less than the older version in the last few seasons of riding. I would have to inspect and clean the standard version 2-3 times a year, never knowing when it might happen. Seeing the lack of oil on the clear clutch cover was the easiest way to catch it and prevent any damage or over heating of the clutch system. With the new version I traveled all last season and never had an issues. I checked it this fall and it was still unplugged, but there was a very small amount of debris caught along the lower rim. So it looked as if it was doing it's job.

Ready for another season!
cjracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:46 PM   #252
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
OK. '07 -990
I purchase a new CJ Design .5mm jet, and the stock KTM toolkit flatblade screwdriver fits nice and tight/snug into the slot.

I slip that very same screwdriver that 1"-ish down the hole and feel for the stock jet slot.
It fits sloppy and loose, and I can't get enough downward pressure on it to break the contact.

All my other flatblade drivers won't fit into that tight spot.
Any suggestions?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:03 PM   #253
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
Any suggestions?
1/4" hex screwdriver bit, hold down with your finger while you turn it with an end wrench.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:08 PM   #254
Apple Jam
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,149
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
1/4" hex screwdriver bit, hold down with your finger while you turn it with an end wrench.
My work van, 20 miles from home, has the right tools in it including a 3" long flat bit.
I even have a two foot long flat driver that my brain says would be PERFECT to give pressure downward as I turn it....

But, alas, I am limited to the little short 3/4" bits at home.....or regular screwdrivers that won't fit right.

It feels overly tight in it's hole, and I can't get a bite on it, it feels sloppy in the slot.
Frick. Down to 32 degrees now. Brr. Time for Whiskey !!
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)

Apple Jam screwed with this post 03-23-2013 at 08:15 PM
Apple Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:20 PM   #255
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
But, alas, I am limited to the little short 3/4" bits at home.....
Are you sure they are to short to reach?

Edit: I just measured one like the one in the pic, and it is 2", so maybe 3/4 would be too short. So, maybe the whiskey is a good idea.

I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is online now   Reply With Quote