ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2014, 08:47 AM   #286
rossphoto
GDTRFB
 
rossphoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Far far away
Oddometer: 600
+1
__________________
"if your not getting older, your dead"
rossphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:15 AM   #287
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
I feel like I need to bring this one back up...

I started having trouble with clutch drag as well. In order to fix it, I took out the oil jet and I noticed it was either clogged or it was actually a plug (?). Not sure...I used a 0.5 mm drill bit to 'clear and enlarge' the hole anyway.

I checked my clutch slave (triple o-ring Sigutech) while I was at it - no problems observed.

At first the bike worked perfectly fine: shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear was smooth as butter, bike did not have the tendency to pull forward with the clutch disengaged, etc. Perfect...al ran fine until the engine got hot and the cooling fan started. At that point, the clutch started to drag again. I let it cool down, and again it's working fine!

I even tried running the bike for a bit with the jet completely removed - bike behaves still the same, horrible clutch drag when hot.

This is especially frustrating as I am at the moment in another country for business reasons and I left my baby suffering alone in my garage back home :(

I left a bit clueless now, maybe some ideas from more experienced inmates can be of some help. Any idea would be apreciated.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #288
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,269
How many miles on the bike? What year?
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:44 PM   #289
AdvRonski
They call me......Ronski
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Wishing I was back in Grand Junction, now in MN
Oddometer: 695
I know a lot of people have used the .5 mm jet that CJ Designs sells, but when I went to anything larger than the .3 mm oem jet, it put too much oil into the clutch, and would drag horribly when warmed up. I went back to the stock size, and haven't had any issues for the past 25K miles.
If you look closely, you will see that the latest version of the stock oil jet has a convex floor, which makes it much less likely to plug up with debris.





Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRadu View Post
I feel like I need to bring this one back up...

I started having trouble with clutch drag as well. In order to fix it, I took out the oil jet and I noticed it was either clogged or it was actually a plug (?). Not sure...I used a 0.5 mm drill bit to 'clear and enlarge' the hole anyway.

I checked my clutch slave (triple o-ring Sigutech) while I was at it - no problems observed.

At first the bike worked perfectly fine: shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear was smooth as butter, bike did not have the tendency to pull forward with the clutch disengaged, etc. Perfect...al ran fine until the engine got hot and the cooling fan started. At that point, the clutch started to drag again. I let it cool down, and again it's working fine!

I even tried running the bike for a bit with the jet completely removed - bike behaves still the same, horrible clutch drag when hot.

This is especially frustrating as I am at the moment in another country for business reasons and I left my baby suffering alone in my garage back home :(

I left a bit clueless now, maybe some ideas from more experienced inmates can be of some help. Any idea would be apreciated.
__________________
Ronski
Enduro Racer & Big Bike Adventurer
AdvRonski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:59 AM   #290
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
How many miles on the bike? What year?
2004 bike, with about 50K km on the clock.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 04:02 AM   #291
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvRonski View Post
I know a lot of people have used the .5 mm jet that CJ Designs sells, but when I went to anything larger than the .3 mm oem jet, it put too much oil into the clutch, and would drag horribly when warmed up. I went back to the stock size, and haven't had any issues for the past 25K miles.
If you look closely, you will see that the latest version of the stock oil jet has a convex floor, which makes it much less likely to plug up with debris.
It may be a good idea to try a 0.3mm jet. But still this does not really explain why did I experience the same drag when the jet was blocked.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:28 AM   #292
roookie1
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Denmark
Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRadu View Post
It may be a good idea to try a 0.3mm jet. But still this does not really explain why did I experience the same drag when the jet was blocked.
Have you upgraded to the new clucthrod. It helpled a lot on mine..
__________________
Ktm 950 Adv S Go!! 2004 (Mathilda)
Ktm 530 Exc-r 2008
roookie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:32 AM   #293
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by roookie1 View Post
Have you upgraded to the new clucthrod. It helpled a lot on mine..
I need to check that. I only bought the bike this spring, done some forest road riding back home in Romania a a bigger summer tour in Central Asia. No problems so far, this clutch drag is the first issue I ever saw with it.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:29 AM   #294
MortimerSickle
Semi-Adventurer
 
MortimerSickle's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Rainville, Orygun, where moss is a road hazard.
Oddometer: 12,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRadu View Post
...
At first the bike worked perfectly fine: shifting in and out of 1st and 2nd gear was smooth as butter, bike did not have the tendency to pull forward with the clutch disengaged, etc. Perfect...al ran fine until the engine got hot and the cooling fan started. At that point, the clutch started to drag again. I let it cool down, and again it's working fine!
...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRadu View Post
It may be a good idea to try a 0.3mm jet. But still this does not really explain why did I experience the same drag when the jet was blocked.
Maybe two causes?

I know what they say about coincidences, but the symptoms you described are what comes of having moisture in the fluid. And, when you put it back together with fresh fluid, you had an oversize jet- another possible cause of drag.

Does the drag still happen only when hot?
__________________


I miss round headlights.

"When I was a young man, I liked to race my horse...." -
G.H.W.S. 1878-1962
MortimerSickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:02 PM   #295
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVRadu View Post
2004 bike, with about 50K km on the clock.
Like already suggested,,,, make sure it's got the updated pushrod.

Oil jet,,,, mine still has the plugged jet because it was dragging too much when I switched to the updated jet. .5mm is too much oil. Speaking of oil,,, what are you using?

Although your symptoms don't suggest it, I would check the last steel clutch plate at the bottom of the stack. The belville washer it rides against wears a groove into the plate. It's not much of a groove that causes an issue. Swap it for any other steel plate in the stack and see if the dragging stops. It's easy to do and no need to drain the oil. Just remove the outer clutch cover and the pressure plate.

When you first start off for the day, do you get a grabby clutch for the first start off?
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:58 PM   #296
RadoR6
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Manchester UK
Oddometer: 59
I've changed to 0.3mm to 0.5mm oil jet shortly after installing CJ Designs clutch cover.With 0.3mm jet I could hardly see any sign of oil lubrication in the clutch area(jet wasn't blocked) and will never look back.Now I can see a nice oil flow and so far haven't experienced any clutch drag or difficulties in finding neutral in standstill.
RadoR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 PM   #297
Keith
Slabbing it
 
Keith's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: 901
Oddometer: 906
I used a Q-tip to pull the jet out of my Adventure today. It works awesome and is a lot faster than taping some hose to your vacuum cleaner. It was nice to clean up the jet and get some oil flowing to the clutch.
__________________
Random Crap
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:08 AM   #298
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by MortimerSickle View Post
Maybe two causes?
Does the drag still happen only when hot?
Yep, only when hot. Otherwise it's going like knife through butter. Sometimes I even got the impression of 'problem solved' until I ride slow in the city or in the mud, and there it goes again.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #299
ADVRadu
Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Like already suggested,,,, make sure it's got the updated pushrod.

Oil jet,,,, mine still has the plugged jet because it was dragging too much when I switched to the updated jet. .5mm is too much oil. Speaking of oil,,, what are you using?

Although your symptoms don't suggest it, I would check the last steel clutch plate at the bottom of the stack. The belville washer it rides against wears a groove into the plate. It's not much of a groove that causes an issue. Swap it for any other steel plate in the stack and see if the dragging stops. It's easy to do and no need to drain the oil. Just remove the outer clutch cover and the pressure plate.

When you first start off for the day, do you get a grabby clutch for the first start off?
I'm using Shell Advance Ultra 4T synt. 15W50, just like the previous owner of the bike. I did an oil change, water pump, forks, bla bla bla service shortly after buying the bike. The oil is 5000-5500km old now. Getting close to the next required oil change, maybe this could be another cause?

Grabby clutch at start, hmmm...no, not really. Or at least I did not notice.

Anyway, seems I have a loong weekend ahead of me when I get back to the garage.
ADVRadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #300
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,269
Was just curious about the oil as I've had a couple oils give clutch related "issues". No experience with the Shell you are using.

The grooved steel plate I mentioned usually shows initially as a grabby clutch at start up. So I don't think this is your problem but if you have the clutch apart it's some thing to check. And if it has the updated pushrod.

Personally,,,, I would change the oil (different oil) and see if the issue goes away.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015