ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2007, 09:45 PM   #1
crwmac OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
Question Dakar Low Fenders

I was just watching the 2007 Dakar Rally on TV. I noticed that all of the bikes had low fenders. I didn't see any with high fenders. What's up with that? Why wouldn't rally riders want high fenders? ...anybody have knowledge of that reasoning?

Mac

"Plans are deliberately indefinite, more to travel than to arrive anywhere." Robert M. Pirsig
crwmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 09:57 PM   #2
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,283
I have wondered this as well. My only thought is that even though they are low fenders they probably have more clearance then what comes stock on a 950. The reasoning? Well maybe because the low fender allows for better airflow to the radiator as well as doing a better job at keeping debris from coming off of the tires. I suspect that there isnt a lot of gooey sticky mud during the dakar....at least I have yet to see one where there is any substantial amount of mud to stick to the tires, build up, and stop the wheel from turning.

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #3
atgreg
Africatwinarama

Oddometer: 10,013
better airflow and more stable at high speeds in the desert, if you saw the 1st 2 european stages many of the bikes had high guards and they changed to low ones in Africa. Not much mud in Africa so the clearance isn't a drama but as its winter there's often mud on the european stages
atgreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
2wfreedom
n00b

Oddometer: 3
The low fender helps with airflow and in the desert (where they don't need to worry about mud) it works well to keep the sand away from the rider ... atleast this is what I have read on the subject.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
pee wee
Reformed Squid !!

Oddometer: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth S
I have wondered this as well. My only thought is that even though they are low fenders they probably have more clearance then what comes stock on a 950. The reasoning? Well maybe because the low fender allows for better airflow to the radiator as well as doing a better job at keeping debris from coming off of the tires. I suspect that there isnt a lot of gooey sticky mud during the dakar....at least I have yet to see one where there is any substantial amount of mud to stick to the tires, build up, and stop the wheel from turning.
BINGO...we Have a Winner
Is this like the guy who took his bike into the shop and left it for repair. He went away for a coffee and some lunch. When he came back the mechanic said, "It looks like you blew a seal!" The guy wiped off his face and said, "No its probably the mayonnaise from the sandwich I had!"
pee wee is offline   Reply With Quote