Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2007, 08:25 PM   #16
buffallodan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,707
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez
Thanks for the kudos-

This project was a kick to do. The whole thing has worked like a champ for many thousands of miles, in all sorts of conditions, and not blown one fuse. Just promise the Elder members of the Cult of the HID to use the force responsibly.

Check your PM.

Dirty
Just wanted to thank you again for the post Chip,
I got to use my Tecate for the first time last night using the stock switch and man it was great . Now I just need to order the Centech and I can do my final wiring setup . I am stoked ...

Dan
buffallodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #17
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricardo Kuhn
tomorrow I'm starting a "Tilting Light" project so I can run the low and high beams all the time (Prolong bulb life and reaction time) but be able to control the angle of the light mecanically from my left hand grip (like a trottle) so nobody retinas get burn in the process.
Another use for the GripShifter
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #18
GodSilla
I did that.

Oddometer: 7,221
Bump

For home use.
GodSilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #19
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Question

Hey Dirty, and other HID converters, what'cha think of this:

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #20
boney
Ride > Post

Oddometer: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

I think that I have far more light from my HID conversion with minimal to no "side effects." I'm sure if we stuck a spectrometer in front of my RT there'd be a difference, but that's not the point.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM   #21
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney
I think that I have far more light from my HID conversion with minimal to no "side effects." I'm sure if we stuck a spectrometer in front of my RT there'd be a difference, but that's not the point.
I'm not there. Did you take a look through the link's discussion about the differences between HID and halogen light production and why that matters? I take it the reflector is designed to work with how the bulb/globe creates light and they don't necessarily work well cross-platform.

And here's another one from Hella:
http://www.hella.com/produktion/Hell...erformance.jsp

Old 04-24-2008, 04:17 AM   #22
dirty_sanchez OP
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle

I completely understand how certain reflector and front lens assys in many headlamps can make poor use of the zenon light since a filament bulb and a discharge-type bulb have differently shaped light sources.

Many of us have seen the hot rod ricer-boy cars with the bluish tinge headlamps that blind us as we meet on the road. The headlamps are not aimed properly, or an HID conversion kit might have been installed with a headlamp lens and reflector that scatters the light output.

Call me lucky, but the 640A Low beam headlamp with the H1 HID bulb mounted still makes a knife edge beam cut off without any of the beam scatter found in the video link. The high beam after the conversion is only used responsibly and never around dry tinder or dead grass, and has a pencil beam that'll light up a stop sign like you've never seen at half a mile.

I'd have to say your results may vary in terms of light scatter.

If there's enough interest in this mos illegit act, I propose to have a running thread on bikes that have the HID conversion and comments on beam scatter.

KTM 640A HID Conversion, High and Low. Low beam- No Light Scatter.

Dirty

dirty_sanchez screwed with this post 04-24-2008 at 04:49 AM
dirty_sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #23
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Maybe its because the 640a's low beam has a "hard cutoff" in the reflector/lens so light cannot scatter above and blind folks. With the low beam I think it is designed to "scatter" laterally, which might be called the width of the beam. Although see below for more on this...

The high beam is supposed to have a narrower width in order to direct the same bulb strength (H1) further ahead. And it is not supposed to be used with oncoming traffic, so it does not have a cutoff or direct the beam down.

It sounds good DS; I just wanted to put this out there so folks know that conversions do not always give good results. Godsilla has a 640a with HID conversion and his results are not acceptable:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodSilla
Well, I did the HID shuffle to both lights on the 640 Adventure, and I've created a problem methinks.
Background :
Low beam is offset anticlockwise (when facing the lights from the front) by a few degrees from straight where it mounts, principally to attempt to emulate the H4 lens found on r/h drive vehicles, which we have here in Oz. The desired effect is to throw light out to the left side to illuminate the gutter and footpath, or pedestrian and parking side.
Problem:
Because the low beam lens seems to be cut symetrically for side-throw, you can't really run it in the straight ahead position, it will dazzle oncoming cars, hence the offset mount. However, to get any useable light in front of you it throws huge amounts of light up and to the right, potentially blinding drivers as you overtake them. And with HID it's POWERFUL bad.
Question :
How do I resolve this? The spread from low beam is so utterly useless that to prevent dazzling other drivers the light needs to dip to the point where it throws about 10 feet in front, and that's it. The centre throw has about the same length of penetration as the side throw, so wherever I need to dip the side throw to so I don't blind people, the centre throw ends around the same distance - fuck all! This is really pissing me orf. Has anyone managed to overcome this deficiency? I'm wondering if there is another light housing I can fit that overcomes this inadequacy. Help!
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=594

Old 08-06-2008, 06:34 AM   #24
samolapraga
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Hello,
I have a question for you, since i just upgraded to a low beam hid, everything is ok up until now, but it struck me that maybe this wouldn't work very well with the headlight protector which is installed on my bike. It is the touratech one, with makrolon clear glass. Do you think this might affect the light scatter? On the normal bulb, i could't notice any difference between with / without this protection on, same with the HID.
Also, should i worry about melting this plastic protection?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

http://www.touratech.com/shops/001/i...382-0_I_01.JPG
samolapraga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 07:01 AM   #25
dirty_sanchez OP
Dirty_Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by samolapraga
Hello,
I have a question for you, since i just upgraded to a low beam hid, everything is ok up until now, but it struck me that maybe this wouldn't work very well with the headlight protector which is installed on my bike. It is the touratech one, with makrolon clear glass. Do you think this might affect the light scatter? On the normal bulb, i could't notice any difference between with / without this protection on, same with the HID.
Also, should i worry about melting this plastic protection?
Thanks in advance,
Alex

http://www.touratech.com/shops/001/i...382-0_I_01.JPG
I run that same Touratech headlight guard. and I can only imagine it does degrade the lighting ever so slightly, but never enough to notice since the HID gives off 2 to 3 times more light than filament bulbs.

As far as beam spread and light scatter, I don't notice a difference with the light protector or without the light protector.

The clear TT plastic did it's job awhile back and cracked after some sort of impact. I replaced the plastic with precut clear picture frame plastic available at many home improvement stores, traced the old TT pattern and cut to fit, then remounted.

I wouldn't worry about the HID light melting the TT headlamp protector.

Dirty
Old 09-21-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
nfranco
over macho grande?

Oddometer: 758
about to do this!

Hi Dirty, do you have any pictures of the low beam/brake hose interface you spoke of and how did you solve it? Or has it not been a problem?

Thanks for the write up.
nick

nfranco screwed with this post 09-21-2008 at 06:40 PM
nfranco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:44 PM   #27
dirty_sanchez OP
Dirty_Sanchez

The interference is very minor. I noticed the very back of the low beam where the HID wires exit the back of the bulb came into contact with the cluch and front brake hydraulic lines so I pushed the wire bail that surrounds each of the lines back just a bit where it mounts to the underneath side of the top triple clamp. This gave about 0.5" of extra clearance.

I've got more than 10k miles after the HID install and have had nary an issue. The bulb wires won't even show any wear or shine from the light contact with the lines.

I'd suggest just pushing the little wire bail back a bit to lessen the wire interference and you'll be fine.

If the wiring diagram I just E'd you didn't load or if you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM or E me for help/suggestions.

Just promise me you'll use this newfound mondo light source in a responsible way and for crying out loud, please don't shine the HID's on dry tinder or grass.

Dirty
Old 10-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #28
z987k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
lots of lumens regardless of the frequency (Kelvin).
First off, great write up! I'm researching putting HID's on my Husky and this has given me some great ideas for mounting etc.

However the quote above, I have to say something for anyone else that may stumble across this thread. Kelvin is a measurement of temperature, not frequency(hz) and not luminous flux(Lm). In fact, it's the SI unit.
z987k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:36 AM   #29
wallache
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
Has anybody tried this HID kit with the slim ballasts:

http://www.xenonrider.com/products/h...hid_kits.shtml

It seems the "plug and play" kits are pretty much all the same, but I wonder about the long term durability and extra current draw from the smaller ballasts.
wallache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #30
dirty_sanchez OP
Dirty_Sanchez

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallache
Has anybody tried this HID kit with the slim ballasts:

http://www.xenonrider.com/products/h...hid_kits.shtml

It seems the "plug and play" kits are pretty much all the same, but I wonder about the long term durability and extra current draw from the smaller ballasts.
I have the newer slim ballast HID rig with the very same identical wiring diagram on my '07 640A now.

Having slimmer ballasts makes for an easier install given their smaller physical size compared to the HID rig used in the original writeup on the '03.

Dirty